What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member

Is this a 2021 or 15?

Those outputs are incredible for stock exhaust.

10 over in HP and 67.5 #' torq is about 6.7 higher than expected baseline. 

Tovami must be really skilled and you got a factory blueprinted engine!

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, nhchris said:

My point was....

if the skid plate can't withstand shipping -- no matter how rough -- without bending, how's it gonna behave when it meets a rock, curb, speed bump, etc.!!

I've read here a few sad stories about SW Motech skid plates failing under pressure.

@Garybinnyc - already shipped back. Should arrive back at Revzilla tomorrow. I order a lot from them, too.

@nhchris - Wondering the same thing as you, but... I bought the 2 piece (actually 3 piece) skidplate. It's got 2 frames and a belly pan. The rear of the frame in the bike right side is bent inwards. On the bike this would be bolted to the belly pan. I'm betting (hoping?) that would be a rare hit. I also don't know an alternative since I plan to keep the bike. 

0620211624.jpg

2 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Is this a 2021 or 15?

It's a 2019.

I just reached out to him because he seemed very happy with the results but we only talked about what the tune does but not this specific result. Tovami came highly recommended, a father and son, both racers. A lot of experience; the father is 67 and they have tuned 25000 bikes since 1993. They were the importers for DynoJet. (I just read their "about us" :))

I was supposed to go in two weeks but told them that they could call me if anyone cancelled. Yesterday I got the call but I had not yet done my research so I had no idea that this was such a good result.

He just got back to me and told me that I have a strong engine and that this result is better than the many other Tracers he has done before. The last one he did had an Akra and got 115 hp (with db killers). The best ever was 131 hp (open Akra).

So yeah, quite a nice surprise. I'm glad I didn't give up on the bike.

Edited by petshark
  • Thumbsup 2

On 6/28/2021 at 7:25 AM, texscottyd said:

Yes, it has the full cover, with a transparent area for the voltmeter to shine through when the cover is closed.    I got this one from Amazon for about $15 with next day delivery, and am hopeful it stays together a little longer than the prior two.  

F98EAB16-C740-4EC5-90E9-E206AB35DD3E.thumb.jpeg.7aedb262495131b3fc1b5ccf0c51d554.jpeg

I have this one as well, and I'm pretty happy with it.  I'm considering buying another as a replacement (shipping is a bit long, and they're really cheap) because I expect it to fail over time.  They always do.  

I've found that I can significantly extend the life of these by stuffing dielectric grease into the USB ports.  This prevents corrosion, and helps the rubber tabs on the lid make a good seal with the ports.

• Like 1

Finally got off my ass and ordered a Puig sport windscreen:

After having done a couple hour ride in the 37c/98f heat that's going around here now (I get this isn't special for you more southern American sorts, but for us it's absolutely devastatingly hot) and yeah.  That windshield has to go.  It's ok in the winter, but all it does now is prevent airflow to my torso, leaving me drenched in useless sweat while simultaneously making the wind buffet my helmet and cause extra noise. 

In the mean time, I've just pulled it off entirely and will go without.  

The handguards are coming off too.  Just makes me feel like I've got heated grips, and while my summer gloves are well ventilated, they're just not getting enough airflow.

Kind of funny how both parts aren't good at doing what they're supposed to do, but do it well enough to be a problem.  

• Haha 1

Had some new T32's mounted on the bike replacing my burned up Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's.  The Pirelli's were great for some mild offroad/dirt/gravel riding,  but after ~ 5500+mi with the last trip including about 1000mi of 80-90Mph freeway riding in 100+F weather... the rear was trashed.  It made for some real twitchy riding, and was down to the wear bars.   

The T32's even with a quick 100mi twisty canyon ride around the front range around Boulder, CO to rub them in... are so damn nice.    Gave a new confidence to the bike (especially with the full Ohlins front and rear setup working to its fullest).

It was funny, I wore down the molding nubs off the center and a lot of the side of the rear tire, but the front, even after some aggressive downhill braking still looks new, didn't even wear the nubs off!   And I think they look pretty damn nice as well.. better than the R5's.   Went with the non GT as the bike even loaded is barely to the weight recommendation Bridgestone has for those tires.   I personally want a more compliant tire that grips more when pushed hard.

Edited by Clegg78

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Is this a 2021 or 15?

The two engines do not have big differences..check the video https://youtu.be/LF8FhyOnzwY

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Finally got off my ass and ordered a Puig sport windscreen:

After having done a couple hour ride in the 37c/98f heat that's going around here now (I get this isn't special for you more southern American sorts, but for us it's absolutely devastatingly hot) and yeah.  That windshield has to go.  It's ok in the winter, but all it does now is prevent airflow to my torso, leaving me drenched in useless sweat while simultaneously making the wind buffet my helmet and cause extra noise. 

In the mean time, I've just pulled it off entirely and will go without.  

The handguards are coming off too.  Just makes me feel like I've got heated grips, and while my summer gloves are well ventilated, they're just not getting enough airflow.

Kind of funny how both parts aren't good at doing what they're supposed to do, but do it well enough to be a problem.  

Haha, you northerly and US Portland up are really getting hammered

We had that for a month with 90% humidity and no rain.  Now we have it with monsoons like Florida.

I love it and still have my oem size DB WITH spoiler on and the KTM hand guards.

ATGATT too with the Hit-Air vest

I soak my Headsweat skull cap and coolmax long sleeve shirt under my full mesh suit and wear a gel neck sausage, plus carry a Mister with cold water insulated in the top case, pannier or tank bag.

61KlBxF-V8S._AC_SL1500_.jpg

No alcohol but drink non caffeinated in mass volumes.

Prostrate makes getting off to wiz every 20 minutes a real PITP!   Thinking of depends.

The trick is to be shark like and keep moving to keep air going through your gills...

• Thumbsup 1

I've been riding so hard in June that I can't seem to stop for maintenance, or even long enough to wash the damn bikes. The Tracer is currently 500 miles overdue for an oil change, and I am taking Warchild-wife on a 3-day, 1400-mile blast around northern Idaho starting tomorrow morning. Forced myself to stop long enough for an oil change:

OilChangeBeforeIdaho.thumb.jpg.85c940e89031c9ae70b9dbc2115c3e8d.jpg

And it's not just the Tracer that doesn't get washed during this frenzied time - over 3000 miles in the past 30 days for the XR. Really should to slow down long enough to wash these bikes... but not today. 😃

DesertRunner.thumb.jpg.2bbd5c425b832e3d0862ac03541a96d2.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Warchild said:

I've been riding so hard in June that I can't seem to stop for maintenance, or even long enough to wash the damn bikes. The Tracer is currently 500 miles overdue for an oil change, and I am taking Warchild-wife on a 3-day, 1400-mile blast around northern Idaho starting tomorrow morning. Forced myself to stop long enough for an oil change:

OilChangeBeforeIdaho.thumb.jpg.85c940e89031c9ae70b9dbc2115c3e8d.jpg

And it's not just the Tracer that doesn't get washed during this frenzied time - over 3000 miles in the past 30 days for the XR. Really should to slow down long enough to wash these bikes... but not today. 😃

DesertRunner.thumb.jpg.2bbd5c425b832e3d0862ac03541a96d2.jpg

Wow, you have an XR and a Tracer. I’d be interested to hear a comparison from experience when you’re taking a break from all that riding. Enjoy the trip(s)!

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Warchild said:

over 3000 miles in the past 30 days for the XR. Really should to slow down long enough to wash these bikes...

Ride in rain. I spent 80 miles in hard driving rain. At least the front end of the bike is absolutely, bead blasted spotless. (the tail half is covered in sand kicked up off of the road).

Funny thing is a buddy was following for about 60 of the 80 miles in his ambulance coming back from a patient transport. He even took a picture. He did offer to load the bike on the stretcher and drive me home. 😄

Lastly, jackets are NOT waterproof if you thought you zipped up the vents but left a 1/2" at the top open by accident. 

14289.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 4/14/2021 at 4:08 PM, petshark said:

Installed this High Level Mount Sat Nav and hardwired the GPS. Really clever 3D printed design and installation is a breeze (only fits GT).

image.thumb.png.ddc0bfa6922162ec022d647e281c453a.png

The most difficult part was connecting the GPS wire to the original Yamaha connector that I also got from eBay. I didn't have the right crimping tool and soldered it to the pins which would no longer click in place but it worked out in the end.

Swiss Alps, here I come! When I'm allowed to leave the country that is...

That’s an awesome mount. Can you still use the windshield slider?  I’d love to get one of this to Canada.