What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Acee said:

How are you cleaning your air filter?  Is it the OEM one?  The manual says it shouldn't be cleaned with compressed air.

I use the Yamaha reusable GYTR filter. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Finally removed this crappy OEM GPS holder that the bike came with. Had to order the bolts as they were not included. Check out that rust!

image.thumb.png.10b8bf8b3cb3677096c0cf90818a998c.png

Love the clean look of the handlebars and it's easier to reach the ignition.

image.thumb.png.437379fa1d2b1a9ea9105bfe92b41ed4.png

Torqued to 22 Nm; front bolts first, then the rear one. 😇 I also spent 20 OCD minutes measuring in different ways to find out that the punch hole is 1 to 2 mm off and the handlebars were not exactly in the middle from the factory. Now they are! How I love to be able to focus on these tiny "upgrades" instead of trying to figure out engine issues.

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/27/2021 at 6:05 AM, kilo3 said:

They are not, just regular Philips. No dot, no offset.

There are no dots on the JIS screws on Big Four bikes, but all the screws are JIS screws, not Phillips.  This has, as far as I can tell, always been the case, going back to the old UJM's back in the 70's and 80's and is very, very crucial when working on older bikes as the screws are often stuck and super cheap metal.  You can use a Phillips driver if they're not seized/stuck, but you always risk damaging the screws as Phillips drivers don't seat correctly.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 7/27/2021 at 8:55 AM, betoney said:

Yamaha reusable GYTR filter

Thanks, didn't know one was available - ordered :)

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, petshark said:

spent 20 OCD minutes

now THAT I can relate to.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Fitted a 2017 MT09 splash guard, spindle and tail tidy, then removed the stock plate holder and replaced that with a very small holder to mount indicators and reflector.

Lots of wiring to deal with, took 3 hours... Ugh...

Next time:

• Attempting to modify the screen mount to lower it by about an inch.
  • Making seat height/slope adjustments more long-term
  • Nuts & bolts

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, knyte said:

now THAT I can relate to.

As your memory fails things take longer as it is and after 50 years I've fallen into certain patterns that that allow for OCD treatment of the most minute components, for example, dust seals on wheel bearings.

I can spend an hour meticulously cleaning and Then packing with grease underneath the Dust seals and then ensuring no grease is on the exterior side of the dust seal where it could pick up dirt.

Don't get me started what I do on carburetors With which I have a love hate relationship with.

I buy Japanese bikes because you can concentrate on the little things and not worry about the big things

Gives me more time to ride.

And the time I spend working on them and then exploring with them, my wife of 40 years has learned to be as supportive, no, Not supportive, I'd say tolerant as possible.

unfortunately in recent times she's become less so

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

There are no dots on the JIS screws on Big Four bikes, but all the screws are JIS screws, not Phillips.  This has, as far as I can tell, always been the case, going back to the old UJM's back in the 70's and 80's and is very, very crucial when working on older bikes as the screws are often stuck and super cheap metal.  You can use a Phillips driver if they're not seized/stuck, but you always risk damaging the screws as Phillips drivers don't seat correctly.

I find myself using my JIS drivers in ALL cross point screws.  They don't slip.  That was the whole design of Phillips screws from the beginning, to allow a certain torque then cam out and stop over torque.

If you don't have JIS drivers, get some.

• Thumbsup 4

8 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I find myself using my JIS drivers in ALL cross point screws.  They don't slip.  That was the whole design of Phillips screws from the beginning, to allow a certain torque then cam out and stop over torque.

If you don't have JIS drivers, get some.

That is interesting, I never thought of it like that.

• Premium Member

I read somewhere JIS is being phased out?  Other than the air box lid screws and handlebar switch pods, there aren't many + head fasteners on the Yamahaha.  Replacing those with socket head or button head cap screws is derigguir for me.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Other than the air box lid screws and handlebar switch pods, there aren't many + head fasteners on the Yamahaha.  Replacing those with socket head or button head cap screws is derigguir for me.

I did exactly that, so much nicer with replacement fasteners - one less tool I need to carry in my tool pack.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

[img]https://i.ibb.co/mb0fjJX/PXL-20210731-232450137.jpg[/img]

Edit:Really? We still can't imbed images on an online forum? This is basic forum functionality that's been broken since the update. Just trying to save some bandwidth by not uploading.

New rubbers, squeezed 7k out if my road 5's. Well past the wear bars.

PXL_20210731_232450137.jpg

Edited by kilo3