What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member

Gary and 1more,

The SWM simple skid plate appears to hug up tighter for better ground clearance and idiot proof construction.  I drilled a hole in mine under the 15 drain plug location so the plate does not need to be removed to change the oil. That and trimming off the protective fin and installing a magnetic low profile oil plug. May add reinforcement and/or a layer of honeycomb for a.crumple zone.

Gary, you seem to have a far bit of corrosion on your water cooled oil cooler that needs attention...

43 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Gary and 1more,

The SWM simple skid plate appears to hug up tighter for better ground clearance and idiot proof construction.  I drilled a hole in mine under the 15 drain plug location so the plate does not need to be removed to change the oil. That and trimming off the protective fin and installing a magnetic low profile oil plug. May add reinforcement and/or a layer of honeycomb for a.crumple zone.

Gary, you seem to have a far bit of corrosion on your water cooled oil cooler that needs attention...

Thanks .. yes it’s extremely snug and most def did it’s job.. I may do the same and drill it out as removing the bottom plate is a pain (not removing but reinstalling is not fun)

As for the oil cooler I was contemplating replacing the assembly.. not sure if this can be cleaned up or just need to replace outright.. certainly welcome your thoughts and thanks again 

3 hours ago, petshark said:

Do you mean that small spring on the outside of the clutch case? Why specifically there? I have some ACF50 laying around but have not gotten around to using it. Figured it would be for next winter.

Yes, the spring right at the connection point of the cable that actuates the pull arm. I use ACF50 there because that spring is certainly susceptible to rusting, and it's a high water, high wind area that necessitates frequent treatment. ACF 50 makes it impervious to rust and is a slight lubricant, and does both things I want to do there. I give it a new squirt and wipe every month or so. 

• Thumbsup 1

Installed the Booster Plug, wow,  if you  do city driving like I do in NYC, this thing makes it sooo much better!  Stuck in slow moving traffic without this was tiresome,  Now I can literally crawl along  in first with the clutch fully disengaged.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Garybinnyc said:

Thanks .. yes it’s extremely snug and most def did it’s job.. I may do the same and drill it out as removing the bottom plate is a pain (not removing but reinstalling is not fun)

As for the oil cooler I was contemplating replacing the assembly.. not sure if this can be cleaned up or just need to replace outright.. certainly welcome your thoughts and thanks again 

The oil cooler is a bitch to get to Maybe with a Flexible extension On a dremel tool with a stainless wire brush will get in there and clean it up and then spray it with ACF is it with ACF 50

I've kept mine treated and it looks and pretty good shape other than some normal mottling 

2 hours ago, Garybinnyc said:

You’ll need to sit down when you price the oil cooler. I had to replace mine as it leaked, but I would certainly live with the dirt unless you love removing the headers and burning cash.

• Haha 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

4 minutes ago, BBB said:

You’ll need to sit down when you price the oil cooler. I had to replace mine as it leaked, but I would certainly live with the dirt unless you love removing the headers and burning cash.

I may then just try to remove the mess .. presently there is no leak and everything is working fine I just just don’t like the look of any rust on my bike at all

1 hour ago, NYTracer said:

Installed the Booster Plug, wow,  if you  do city driving like I do in NYC, this thing makes it sooo much better!  Stuck in slow moving traffic without this was tiresome,  Now I can literally crawl along  in first with the clutch fully disengaged.

Yeah, it hugely improves low rpm-low speed riding.  So much better.  

46 minutes ago, Garybinnyc said:

I may then just try to remove the mess .. presently there is no leak and everything is working fine I just just don’t like the look of any rust on my bike at all

Brass brush and a bit of elbow grease and you're all good.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I just installed a new front tire. The old tire was a Michelin Road 5 GT and after 9500 miles it was almost to the wear bars. This is almost EXACTLY the same mileage I got from the non-GT Road 5 I had previously. I bought the GT to test the theory that it would wear longer. It didn't. 

So for me the Road 5 vs. Road 5 GT debate is settled. On this bike, save your money and get the non-GT version. 

• Thumbsup 3

54 minutes ago, keithu said:

I just installed a new front tire. The old tire was a Michelin Road 5 GT and after 9500 miles it was almost to the wear bars. This is almost EXACTLY the same mileage I got from the non-GT Road 5 I had previously. I bought the GT to test the theory that it would wear longer. It didn't. 

So for me the Road 5 vs. Road 5 GT debate is settled. On this bike, save your money and get the non-GT version. 

Good to know. I just bought a new front and rear Road 5 👍

59 minutes ago, keithu said:

Good to know!  I've always wondered, but never really bothered to try.

I was under the impression that the GT version was solely made for heavier bikes, the carcass being more heavily reinforced. The tread compound is exactly the same.

The Tracer shouldn't need the extra heft, and I'd imagine the GT version might actually negatively impact the feedback somewhat when pushing the pace.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, PeterL said:

I was under the impression that the GT version was solely made for heavier bikes, the carcass being more heavily reinforced. The tread compound is exactly the same.

The Tracer shouldn't need the extra heft, and I'd imagine the GT version might actually negatively impact the feedback somewhat when pushing the pace.

That is 100% correct. But there was a theory that perhaps the GT would wear a little longer. The carcass shouldn't have much effect, but I thought maybe Michelin also used a slightly different compound with the GT to reduce wear on heavier bikes. My experience suggests they did not. Traction felt the same and wear was effectively identical. 

• Thanks 1