What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

How's by you?

It's tough though.  Out of shape and overweight is an understatement  x 5

I still have to mount and dismount using the left footpeg, as my back lacks flexibility and getting painful again off the bike but not from riding.   One day the side stand is going t😵💫

And my shoulder has to be redone but I'm waiting till winter 😞

And then there's my neck, elbow, other shoulder and hands LOL

it's funny I can ride but not walk far.

Activating the turn signals, horn and CC is painful ha!

ah well, it always could be worse!

Rubba sude down mate!

Heading out tomorrow with a HD friend for a spin to a local public house for a couple of quite ones with a meal before returning home via new roads.  The friend is a LEO so I will be guided by his decisions. 😉

If it's the riding that works for you and not the walking then I think we both know the answer to your 'issues'! 🏍️

Keep on keeping on. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Does your LEO bud like to wick it up a bit?

Kind of a oxymoron with a HD unless it's one of the few, proud and brave models.

Again Daz, imbibing and riding?!

No, my LEO friend is very sensible and conservative and doesn't like to wick it up.  No problems in that department.

And don't be too alarmed at the impression of imbibing and riding as it is only ever two to three (max) midstrength beers (3.5% alcohol), usually with a meal and some banter enjoyed over a couple of hours.  Don't want to give you the wrong impression that I'm some kind of a pi$$pot rider! 🍻  hic!

Our location today for said meal and a couple of beers - The Apollonian Hotel at a little place called Boreen Point.

20220811_112717.thumb.jpg.a91e9c8a90ba28ab4f13251d1a1c5c0f.jpg

20220811_112928.thumb.jpg.dd806217f08994630638abc3de700d10.jpg

2 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

No, my LEO friend is very sensible and conservative and doesn't like to wick it up.  No problems in that department.

And don't be too alarmed at the impression of imbibing and riding as it is only ever two to three (max) midstrength beers (3.5% alcohol), usually with a meal and some banter enjoyed over a couple of hours.  Don't want to give you the wrong impression that I'm some kind of a pi$$pot rider! 🍻  hic!

Our location today for said meal and a couple of beers - The Apollonian Hotel at a little place called Boreen Point.

20220811_112717.thumb.jpg.a91e9c8a90ba28ab4f13251d1a1c5c0f.jpg

20220811_112928.thumb.jpg.dd806217f08994630638abc3de700d10.jpg

Looks like a nice spot.   I must confess - I don't like even riding past a pub, let alone entering and imbibing.   Call me a wuss if you must!

• Thumbsup 1

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Very sensible and conservative does not sound like a recipe for enthusiastic entertainment!

His steed looks fast enough if the huge rear doughnut permits rolling in without dragging hard parts prematurely!

Just yanking your chain even though I never imbibe and ride.  Now in my yute I maybe toked up a bit, even before a race, as I'm convinced it relaxes one and aids concentration, and helps stave off fatigue if one reacts in the manner versus wants to take a nap.

Any uncrowded nice place with good food and shade outdoors with ready parking and clean facilities is ideal for a pit stop and bro time!  Harder to find here since the pandemic sadly.

Thankfully gas prices are slowly dropping albeit Putin must die, and in my case I can manage a round trip on E0 91 octane if I plan my gas stops appropriately.

Another beautiful day here but unfortunately I'm not yet fully retired though I still plan on getting some mod time in my air conditioned shop... 🙂

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
51 minutes ago, ItsRichieRich said:

Found this Corbin seat local to me. Says it's barely used and he will take $550. Worth it?

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mpo/d/upland-yamaha-fj09-tracer-corbin-seat/7500759553.html

From Corbin site...

#Y-FJ09-E Dual Saddle with HEAT for Yamaha FJ-09 $783  
#Y-FJ09 Dual Saddle no Heat for Yamaha FJ-09 $618

A 2015,16,17 model is not compatible with the 2019+. Definately an upgrade from stock.

6 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

From Corbin site...

#Y-FJ09-E Dual Saddle with HEAT for Yamaha FJ-09 $783  
#Y-FJ09 Dual Saddle no Heat for Yamaha FJ-09 $618

A 2015,16,17 model is not compatible with the 2019+. Definately an upgrade from stock.

I have a 2015, so it will fit no problem! 

5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I WOULDN'T, IT'S STILL GOT ANOTHER 900 MILES BEFORE IT GETS CLOSE TO FIT YOU AND THEY ARE HEAVY AS HELL.

FOR 550 A CUSTOM SHOP CAN DO YOUR OEM

GO FOR A SARGENT, USED MAY BE AVAILABLE...

Not too worried about weight or anything. There’s nothing else used online, everything is brand new. Looking at $700+.

• Premium Member

The Sargent have doubled in price sine I got mine, and it was customized to my specs though on-sale as the used to offer late in the year.

Still, "only" 600 new with little break in necessary versus the Corbin.

Still, a custom saddlery or localboat/rv appolsterer maybe a lot less.

Ivesone a few DIY saddles successfully on the cheap.  Witha bit of research and time investment good results are easily possible. 

BAGSTER seats - made in France - have been my #1 choice on a couple of past MT-09 Tracers and my late MT-09 SP.   They can be highly customised in various materials and colours.   Not cheap, even though non-EU residents do not pay the ~20% EU VAT (sales tax) which goes a very long way towards shipping costs.

IMG_1935.JPG

Edited by wordsmith
adding photo
  • Thumbsup 4

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, ItsRichieRich said:

I have a 2015, so it will fit no problem! 

Not too worried about weight or anything. There’s nothing else used online, everything is brand new. Looking at $700+.

Have you thought about a Seth Lamm seat? A friend had his Tracer seat done by him and was very happy with it. 

• Thumbsup 1

Removed Soupy’s lowering links.

TLDR; seat is 5 cm higher, bike steers faster.

I purchase my 2019 Tracer GT new, but I was a little concerned with the seat height which was quite tall for me.  At the dealer’s suggestion I had them install the Soupy’s lowering links & adjustable stand before I picked it up.  This definitely made a noticeable difference in seat height, but I didn’t have the before/after feeling since I never rode it at stock height.

There have been 2 issues with the lowering links.  First thing is that the bike is MUCH harder to put on the center stand; I had to develop a left foot technique that works every time. Second is when 2-up riding the center stand often hits hard on less than perfect roadways.  This happens at highway speeds going straight or in curves.  This is first bike that’s ever done that to me.  When I was younger I would drag pegs & whatever, but that was under control.  I never had a bike bottom-out just going over a dip in a straight line.

Okay so I’m third season in, pretty comfortable with the bike & tried tuning my stock suspension as best I could.  I’m eyeing-up aftermarket shocks.  But as a first step I decided to replace the Soupy’s lowering links with the stock Yamaha links.

Here’s the wheel lifted with Soupy’s links:

Soupy_wheel_height.thumb.jpeg.23a176506746b664a58673a044043e71.jpeg

Here’s with the stock Yamaha links:

Yamaha_wheel_height.thumb.jpeg.ed1468248fb0efb2d675c1e9ac7205e7.jpeg

Soupy’s link about 5.5 cm on centers:

Soupy_link.thumb.jpeg.08eb0907f097fb1b2cbc01126c5db513.jpeg

Yamaha stock link about 6.5 cm on centers:

Yamaha_link.thumb.jpeg.ab7d1bb223143c71067315f9a394eb5d.jpeg

The Soupy’s stand, about 5 cm shorter than stock at its longest setting.

A few notes on the job:
The top link nut is more difficult to get at; I used a 17 mm crowfoot with u-joint to get about 1/8 turn at a time.  The bottom nut is easy with the hole in the swing-arm & it’s a 14 mm nut.  I wedged the back wheel up with an angled board.  I replaced the links doing the bottom bolt first then slowly lowered the wheel by tapping the board with a hammer until the top bolt lined-up.  The chain had a bit more slack when done.

First ride noticed the steering is faster.  I could not flat-foot even when it was lowered & I’m nearly on toes now.  I’m used to putting my left foot down flat, slide off left & lean the bike a bit depending on the grade of the road.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

What I did today was not on my FJ

Yes I've been wanting to get my VTR up and running

Almost ready do finally install LED driving lights to replace the old incandescent  So everything is now LED stem To Stern

I still have to clean up the spaghetti under the saddle and to that end I've ordered a FZ1 fuse block. I must have 9 or 10 additional electrical circuits running various things, so I want to simplify and compress things under the seat.

Still have a starting problem which may be a trick main starter relay

But at least I was able to get it running and run some gas through the carbs and it idled perfect

I may take it for a ride before the driving lights are installed as I still have to fabricate the mount adapter links.

A 90° big V twin is an aural delite when running and the fastest red VTR is a classic beauty.

Too bad I can't post a video clip so this still will have to do

20220812_115822.jpg

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, wordsmith said:

BAGSTER seats - made in France - have been my #1 choice on a couple of past MT-09 Tracers and my late MT-09 SP.   They can be highly customised in various materials and colours.   Not cheap, even though non-EU residents do not pay the ~20% EU VAT (sales tax) which goes a very long way towards shipping costs.

IMG_1935.JPG

+1 on Bagster seats. 👍

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90