Hole in engine.

Hey! Not looking good for me. I went to head to work early in the morning a couple days ago and only got about a half a mile and went around a corner. Shifted into second and my chain came off. Luckily no one was on the road that early and got it turned around and to the side by a street light. Got the chain back on and it was super loose. Nursed it home and took the car to work. Last time I rode it was a over night trip of a round 600 miles. Checked and oiled the chain before I left and was fine. Put in on its center stand when I spun the tire the chain would get really tight and hard to Turn then would get lose again. Does it at the same spot when I rotate the tire. Took the front sprocket cover off and that's when I found a hole in the motor. I'm assuming it's from the chain when it came off. It's in a tight spot and don't know what else make it. It's above the oil pan. Any help or an I just screwed? aad67e02156764aadcf45e4789eecec7.jpg2c390413bb245a3e95045d0c03351447.jpg

Looking at this part fiche here you've put a hole in the crankcase assembly :(. This is likely 356 cast Aluminum and basically unweldable.

I would consider a magnetic drain plug, a small piece of scrap metal, JB Weld, and some patience. If you're not gushing oil everywhere its not very pressurized and not in the sump. So a cheap patch, and not very strong patch, could be your best bet.

So sorry man, that's brutal. Best of luck, keep us posted.

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
a small piece of scrap metal, JB Weld, and some patience. If you're not gushing oil everywhere its not very pressurized and not in the sump. So a cheap patch, and not very strong patch, could be your best bet.  
So sorry man, that's brutal. Best of luck, keep us posted.
I was thinking the same thing, carefully degrease the area, scuff it up with sandpaper, form a piece of scrap metal to the same contours and JB Weld it.  At this point you have nothing to lose and it might hold perfectly.   
Sorry to hear of your bad luck.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Sorry about your luck @hscooter52. I don't have anything else constructive to add, but out of curiosity, how many miles were on the chain?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
 Put in on its center stand when I spun the tire the chain would get really tight and hard to Turn then would get lose again. Does it at the same spot when I rotate the tire. 
Your chain is badly worn. Mine did the same when I replaced it at 13K miles.  
Sorry about the hole. If mine did the same then I would probably remove the oil pan and clean it out and check for metal fragments. I would be worried that the oil circulation would distribute tiny metal fragments that might scratch other surfaces. I might also replace the pan with the newer style that relocates the drain plug. I wouldn't trust a magnetic drain plug to catch aluminum fragments, because it won't.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

instead of JB aluminum weld...I would use some titanium putty after a through prep clean up of the surfaces... good 24hr+ plus cure at room temps you can CNC that putty ?
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
We had a Sea-doo with a pretty big crack in the exhaust right at the block and we took it to a shop where the guy fixed it with Belzona 1111. That thing had the piss run out of it for another 5-6 years with no problem.

Also ship's engineers always seem to have it around to fix industrial machinery.

Might be something to look into.

http://www.belzona.com/en/products/1000/1111.aspx

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

We had a Sea-doo with a pretty big crack in the exhaust right at the block and we took it to a shop where the guy fixed it with Belzona 1111. That thing had the piss run out of it for another 5-6 years with no problem.  
Also ship's engineers always seem to have it around to fix industrial machinery.

Might be something to look into.

http://www.belzona.com/en/products/1000/1111.aspx
Belzona makes great stuff, but it can be hard to find.  This would be my first choice if available.

Hey! Not looking good for me. I went to head to work early in the morning a couple days ago and only got about a half a mile and went around a corner. Shifted into second and my chain came off. Luckily no one was on the road that early and got it turned around and to the side by a street light. Got the chain back on and it was super loose. Nursed it home and took the car to work. Last time I rode it was a over night trip of a round 600 miles. Checked and oiled the chain before I left and was fine. Put in on its center stand when I spun the tire the chain would get really tight and hard to Turn then would get lose again. Does it at the same spot when I rotate the tire. Took the front sprocket cover off and that's when I found a hole in the motor. I'm assuming it's from the chain when it came off. It's in a tight spot and don't know what else make it. It's above the oil pan. Any help or an I just screwed? aad67e02156764aadcf45e4789eecec7.jpg2c390413bb245a3e95045d0c03351447.jpg
God knows I'm no engineer, but it does appear to me, judging by the shape of the sides of the hole, that it may well have been punched through from inside. Also, there are no other marks of any kind around the edges of the hole such as may have been made by a flailing chain.   Not trying to be a know-all, and certainly not wanting to add to your distress, so please take this as you will - FWIW. 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

God knows I'm no engineer, but it does appear to me, judging by the shape of the sides of the hole, that it may well have been punched through from inside. Also, there are no other marks of any kind around the edges of the hole such as may have been made by a flailing chain.   Not trying to be a know-all, and certainly not wanting to add to your distress, so please take this as you will - FWIW. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that is the crankcase... IF you still have the piece you can get a decent tig welder to burn it back in. But cleanliness is key with tig. That happens to be the dirtiest spot on the motor. And the chain smashed it off for sure. It doesn’t happen to be the lower sprocket cover mount does it?

• Premium Member
I don't know how the op could not know this but that hole is where the lower countershaft sprocket cover mounting lug used to be which explains why there are no other marks on the engine case, the chain just ripped that lug clean off the engine case.
BLB

Archived