My fellow Australians, my 2016 Tracer is to be sold

Thank you sir and good luck, I think I may have learned some new words from reading your posts.
Y're welcome, bob - and no charge for that!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Excelllent decision @wordsmith and a brave one. Too many people continue on the roads with declining skills and become a danger to others and themselves.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Supporting Member
I should explain that I am not in ill-health – rather that I have some ‘wellbeing’ issues.

I have a neurological problem in my feet and lower limbs, which causes loss of feeling ‘down there’, not helpful when changing gears, braking, or putting feet down when stopping.   This condition was inherited from my late mother (thanks mum!) and is irreversible but may not worsen.

Off the bike, this causes me easily to lose balance and to stumble frequently, particularly if I’m on uneven ground – a casual observer might think I was drunk!   To compensate for this I think I might actually take up the Demon Rum – after all, isn’t alcohol one of the five main food groups?

Second issue is at the other end, another age-related condition which causes regular episodes of blurriness in my vision.
Neither of these issues will kill me, but in recent times I have also noticed some deterioration in my riding skills (such as they ever were) and on-the-road concentration.

@wordsmith - your words hit hard.  Ya' know, none of are getting younger and this day will come for all of us.  I am in my 50's and have been riding motorcycles for over 40 years.  Motorcycling is my passion, when I'm not riding, I'm thinking about riding or planning my next road trip.  I cant imagine NOT doing it or having it as a part of my daily life.
It pains me to think about it, but I KNOW one day I too will hang up the riding gear for good.

The best we can do is enjoy the rides that we are fortunate enough to take and look back fondly on the epic road adventures from our past.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
Sad that you have had to make this decision. Despite an increasing number of chronic ailments, I hope to have another couple of decades riding.

I hope that you find another hobby that gives you similar enjoyment. Do you get a free bus pass in the colonies? If so, use this to continue travelling.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I hope that you find another hobby that gives you similar enjoyment. Do you get a free bus pass in the colonies? If so, use this to continue travelling.
Thanks, Wessie.   We oldies do get free rail travel throughout this vast state of Queensland (8 x the size of the UK: 3 x the size of France and of Texas, just to put its size into perspective).  Some years ago I did a solo BMW R1200 GS round-Oz circumnavigation, anticlockwise (keeping the oceans to my right).   A little under 15,000km over about five weeks.   Trip of a lifetime, and one I'd always wanted to repeat but in the opposite direction next time.   Now, of course, there won't be a next time, but ask if I'd want to do it by car, coach, whatever, and you'd receive a loud and emphatic 'no way'.   Not the same!  

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Dear friends.  
The hundreds (well, half a dozen or so) of kind expressions and good wishes, and utter despair at my self-enforced departure from the ranks of Traceristas, are both unexpected and much appreciated.  Thank you all for your support – I shall always wear it.

To compensate for this I think I might actually take up the Demon Rum – after all, isn’t alcohol one of the five main food groups?

Thank you all again and best wishes – I shall keep in touch.

Wordsmith: 
As I read your post and those of your 1/2 dozen admirers .... I noticed Demon Rum (alcohol) was listed as one of the 5 major food groups.   I was familiar with the big 3 ... Grease, Oil and Cholesterol.   Not much of a drinker but I can see Demon Rum as the 4th.  But now I am concerned .... what is the missing food group??  Inquiring minds want to know.

Going to miss your wisdom. Thanks so much for sharing these past year(s) as I have so enjoyed your posts.

Ken
Class of 46.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Oh Wordy.....I just read your full post (after being off the airwaves for a bit due to work commitments).

It is indeed my friend a very sad day in the motorcycle community to loose such a passionate rider and story teller  :'( :'(
However totally understand, parts are not so easily obtainable for when we things require maintenance (having an ageing father that still rides but mum says I have to take very good care of him when we are out).

I think I will have to pen a camping trip up there to see you before winter sets in (providing work projects don't get in the way).

This photo will be especially special to me now. Suncoaster on the left, Me, then Wordsmith on the right.

pVFTXbgnHAZ3peIB2pVFTXbgnHAZ3peIB2dCvg7WRvPgO5BuWA1QTArcWmGtOVKDe4bdwq7r9nx0Ut89YCZPmrEkMJgWmxi1TO9WVIxFopM7TH56LGK3km1MudENPcCz5Ai5PyJfZ8iFi7BwS4r1TLque1vMaRRSnfZq5y42IGOZ6KDl12U3D2ITYIAMd6XgcsNJYtGulaljdjeEUD6EDhNd5Helvt0Qlq6U3yypJosk9vIAev3GATcjMQPpxMQE-IauFgblgbeEH0wCzOYpgdTDbP0r8IbQgbZTSLotuZFIdxmlm_8ygkJPLreGChwtN6hBY8WXLhdiFkaA5dpWTcZRP86Dk5Nk2z_e5z6fwbtUqr3E8uNmBgCshqz0_u0YOgvGsFOLhnfZCttCGCeDa17G-z32BVseZc4gqe9tutTzIN_-GKUjU8zT58SEDOmVJguk4csPapqK7uHX4Rk5Vatq2RQ7EfPm9UnKxtS9rk_pEDzfFmImo9jjpVNcSBakWugZl6Yb7_HyNw-DvHFZ0KjS2QbuD_dka2fo6ir232xfoDddHDVENFTXn9jZ5lJctvZK4Vb4LECRZrGfEHsByxCtD5K4FIMkk0TiGQrbF7EpsRhgjU2FeFLXFI4sGglo89p3B_KRc=w800-h599-no

I will be in touch and I will miss your commentary.

Take care of you,
k xxx

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
I'm terribly sorry to hear this. It sounds like you are making the correct choice, though. I'm only in my late 40's, but I've already wondered how many more years of motorcycling are in my future. It'll be a sad day when it comes. Thanks for your eloquent and entertaining contributions to the forum. I hope you'll still make an appearance from time to time, bike or not.
Cheers-Matt

• Premium Member
Thank you for sharing your very personal story and decision process, Wordsmith. I used to be terrified of the day that I would have to quit riding, but then one day at age 38 I did it for personal reasons. It wasn't scary; my life wasn't empty because I didn't ride motorcycles. I just did other things.

Now I'm riding again, but I know someday I'll have to stop for good. When that day comes I'll be fine, just as I'm sure you'll be fine too, Wordsmith. Thanks again for sharing some time with us, and feel free to stick around. You'll always be a Tracerista to us.

Sad to hear that Lawrence, but good on you for making the right decision before it's too late.

Hope to see you around sometime. If you're up this way give us a call.

It makes me anxious to get some more tours in before I too reach that point, at which time (assuming that dementia hasn't affected my rationality) I hope to have a similar level of fortitude to that which you have demonstrated.

I'll be taking the new dementia blood test when it's available (~5 years) and setting an end date if the test is positive.

Archived