Why are these things so expensive to insure?

Is it me or is the FJ09 just more expensive to insure?  My current insurance is with AllState, bundled with home and cars, and it still is $500 a year. Granted it is very good coverage with comp/collision/ high levels of liability, etc.....  But even Geico and Progressive are around $400+  What gives?  Other experiences? Recommendations? Thanks! 

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

Is it me or is the FJ09 just more expensive to insure?  My current insurance is with AllState, bundled with home and cars, and it still is $500 a year. Granted it is very good coverage with comp/collision/ high levels of liability, etc.....  But even Geico and Progressive are around $400+  What gives?  Other experiences? Recommendations? Thanks! 
Same here. When i bought my FJ, I was stickershocked by the insurance rates. Waaaaay higher than my FJR was, even factoring in it's age.
Keep Asheville weird!

Here in Oz I found a lack of understanding by some insurance companies as to the difference between the naked MT-09 hooligan bike (much bought and crashed by young wannabees) and the Tracer variant.   One quote was for almost $1000 until I clarified the correct designation of the bike and down it came to a little over $400.   It might be worth making sure the quotes you get are for the correct machine, tho' in the US I bleeve the MT-09 is labelled FZ-09, which might avoid this issue.   Even so, do check!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

Sounds about right. I got higher quotes when I first inquired back in 2015. I was told to try specifying this bike is what it is, 849 cc, not an 850. Back then, it made a difference. 850's are in a higher category. I know, 1 cc, not a big friggin deal but a friend in the insurance industry informed me of the price break. I sold my 1300 and he suggested considering under 850. I called prior to purchasing the FJ and in fact, it did make a difference. Had some fun with a few calls and ended up being slightly aggressive but I found a clerk who keyed in 849 cc for the FJ. Bingo, it was less money then originally quoted. However, I pay about the same as you for full coverage which isn't too bad for this bike IMO.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

30 years old with a few points on my license and I pay $1200... good news is that bundling with my home insurance brought that down a few hundred a year. I had to bail on progressive because they wanted almost $3k to renew this year.  
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

• Supporting Member
I use State Farm and they base coverage on engine size. My 2006 FZ1 was more expensive than my brand new FJ, so I actually saved money with the new bike.
I am bundled with auto and home on my plan and full coverage is a bit over $300 a year.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I use progressive and pay about $360/year..

I had Foremost with my Versys and paid 180/year, but Foremost categorized the FJ as a "Supersport" and wanted $1200/year.. I laughed and found somewhere else. GA, USA for reference.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Insurance is based on a lot of things, and if you are male, young, live in certain areas, and ride a powerful bike, you will have high premiums. It helps to be older, have a good credit rating, be married, etc...not parameters we can easily or quickly fix. I have a second bike that has not been on the road for 10 years. I insure it for the minimum liability with my primary bike's package much much higher (liability, collision, etc. and higher limits). Progressive's multi bike discount makes the insurance premium for the two bikes LESS than the premium would be for only one bike. Go figure.

From what I see, the second bike does not need to be roadworthy, though you do need to have title to it.

• Premium Member
Other experiences? Recommendations? Thanks! 
State Farm. I live in Albany (not far from you) and I also have high coverage including roadside assistance for $220 per year.

IM 29 y.o. and have 2 bikes on my policy with no history of accidents or any claims and I pay a ludicrous $764 for full coverage, which I think is insane and still the cheapest I could find!  My little old 1977 Yamaha XS-650 one side coverage only costs me $85 for the whole year haha :D

I had Progressive for years on my ST 1300. When I sold it and got the FJ, Progressive doubled premium to $650.

A call to Geico resulted in a more reasonable $350 / year. But...

Not sure Geico handles claims as well as Progressive.

I think it wise to shop any policy every few years since all companies index you up over time regardless of claim history.

The one speeding ticket I got (in my car) resulted in a 50% jump by progressive on the ST.

If you are old (like me) you might try AARP for bike ins!!

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Archived