Engine temperature

Luma46

Just now, Luma46 said:

Did my first ride on GT at temperatures 8 to 10 C. Engine temperature indicated around 60 C. That seem to me rather low, a car would have temp around 85 C. What are you guys seeing on your bikes?

My dealer recently checked mine at first service (non-GT) - said around 80 - 85 is normal when bike is moving freely.   And that's what I see...

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
22 minutes ago, Luma46 said:

Did my first ride on GT at temperatures 8 to 10 C. Engine temperature indicated around 60 C. That seem to me rather low, a car would have temp around 85 C. What are you guys seeing on your bikes?

I rode this morning in about the same temps as you were, the engine held steady at 70C (158-159F).  This afternoon the temperature rose to close to15C and the coolant temp stayed the same.  This was while moving at highway speeds.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I've been meaning to find out if the bike has a Thermostat or not and what temp it opens at. Mine does seem to run cool, compared to cars, (150-160F) and suspect either it doesn't have a thermostat or it is set very low. Typically cars have a thermostat for 109F-210F.  They do that to get them up to operating temp faster so pollution controls work properly.

11 hours ago, RandyN said:

I've been meaning to find out if the bike has a Thermostat or not and what temp it opens at. Mine does seem to run cool, compared to cars, (150-160F) and suspect either it doesn't have a thermostat or it is set very low. Typically cars have a thermostat for 109F-210F.  They do that to get them up to operating temp faster so pollution controls work properly.

Checked the service manual - yes, the bike has thermostat. Looking from the front, it is to the left of the oil filter, a bit up. They call it 'thermostat assembly' and it doesn't seem to be designed to be taken apart. Manual just says check for damage, leaks...

There is no procedure on checking the function/temperature of the thermostat, weird.

Hi, just been out on mine for a spirited ride ( no pillion for a change 😉 )  air temp was 10c and coolant held rock steady at 70c - when I was at traffic lights in town it crept up to 75 -80 

• 3 weeks later...

My GT runs around 80-85 Celsius in winter and 90-95 in Summer. Tenp shoots to 105 almost instantly in summer and the fan kicks in around 105 and drops it down to 98. I live in the Mediterranean so in summer ambient temp is 30+

On 3/16/2019 at 5:48 AM, Luma46 said:

Checked the service manual - yes, the bike has thermostat. Looking from the front, it is to the left of the oil filter, a bit up. They call it 'thermostat assembly' and it doesn't seem to be designed to be taken apart. Manual just says check for damage, leaks...

There is no procedure on checking the function/temperature of the thermostat, weird.

It's a sealed unit thus no testing procedure. But others have cut them open and there's a standard thermostat inside that you can test in the traditional way. Course if you cut it open you'll need to seal back up in a way that doesn't make you wonder if it's going to leak. Or drop 45ish on a new one from a discounter :)

I think these digital readouts make folks obsess. Reminds me of the story, probably just net folklore, that when Kawasaki introduced early temp gauges they were flooded with complaints so they added a resistor to make the gauge read lower. Complaints dropped lol. 

• Thumbsup 1

I would prefer simple temperature bar graph, then I probably wouldn't have to worry about exact reading. Reconfirmed again that mine is reading between 50 to 60 C when it is around 10 C outside and goes max to 70 C when outside temp is 15-17 C. This is low, but question is how accurate is the sensor and at what point does it measure the coolant fluid.

The only time I have engine temp showing is when I start from cold, when it goes from low to 40c I set off, never look at it when I'm riding.

Had an S10 previously and fan cuts in, in traffic in the middle of winter😯 so nice to have a bike that runs cooler !

• 6 months later...

I have been checking my new 900 GT as it seemed to run cold even in a UK summer (showing 65-75C) dealer checked it at the first service and said it was fine. Still not convinced the Thermostat does anything. The air temp is now about 10C and the engine does not seem to get much above 60-65C unless in slow traffic!

Has anybody else checked this out in really cold weather? I would have thought it should be about 80-85C

This bike runs cool when not hammering on it like at a track- the coolant temp is not really comparable  to an automobile where is basically sits at 190-200*F... my bike pretty much hovers around 150-170*F unless I'm at the track where it will run at 215-230*F last I recall... 

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp