Running,starting engine on centre stand

Clicknow

I have a 2019 Tracer and got a trouble code while running in gear on the centre stand. I believe it happens if you go over a certain speed (10 MPH ?) and it may have something to do with the ABS or traction control thinking there is a malfunction because the front and rear wheels are out of sync. I bought a 4 pin Yamaha OBD cable that connects to the port under the seat and used my cheapie OBD2 reader to pull the code, cross reference to confirm and then clear the code. Cheaper than a trip to the dealer.

As for lubing the chaining while running in gear, be very careful that you don't have any loose clothing or get your fingers near the chain the results could be catastrophic. I think a better way is just turn the wheel by hand while on the centre stand and the engine turned off.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 2/28/2020 at 1:50 PM, Mojmir said:

What about to switch off TCS, before run it in gear on central stand. Does anybody try it?  

I was thinking the same thing. Turning the TCS off 'should' allow the rear to spin w/o a code.  I've had to do that before after I pulled off the side of the road into  in very loose gravel.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 2/29/2020 at 2:38 AM, 1moreroad said:

Does that mean if a Tracer got airborne it would throw a code and you couldn't use the quick shifter?

Killjoy.

NO, despite engine error is shining, everything works well incl. QS

You will get a code.. not sure what the threshold is but I did and I had to get a diagnostic tool to reset.  All good now.

I will never run the bike to lube the chain, to me, too risky and I know someone that is now missing a finger due to this type of behavior so I try to learn from others.

I'll put mine on the centerstand and lube while slowly rotating the tire by hand... I only do a short section at a time and start where the rivets are so I know when I've gotten all the way around... I'll do that once a day whether it's a 300 or 1000 mile day and really it's more to clean the chain than it is to lube it.

• Thumbsup 2

OK I ran this again. What I see is that when I put the bike in first gear and let go of the clutch the bike stays at 7 mph. I spray my chain lube on and move on. No error code and I do not touch the throttle. I hope this helps.

On 3/1/2020 at 3:41 PM, Torbeach said:

As for lubing the chaining while running in gear, be very careful that you don't have any loose clothing or get your fingers near the chain the results could be catastrophic. I think a better way is just turn the wheel by hand while on the centre stand and the engine turned off.

👍

I got a fault code running my 2019 GT on the center stand.  Not in neutral, but in gear it absolutely did throw a code.

There's a chance that @betoney is right above that turning off TCS first will prevent that.  However, there are *two* faults regarding running  the bike on the center stand, in gear.  First is that TCS will trigger (this presents as the bike "stumbling" rather than idling nicely, and is substantially worse if you give it throttle).  After a bit, this will cause the TCS to fault out and turn off.  It's reset by turning off the bike completely for a few seconds, then going for a ride.  The second is that the differing wheel speed reads will cause a separate fault, and this fault is the one that needs to be reset VIA ODB2.  Whether this fault will still occur if you disable TCS I just don't know.  It takes a while for this one to happen - you can run the bike in gear on the center stand briefly and it's fine.  I'm not sure how long, though - I wasn't really interested in testing in detail, as I don't have an adapter yet and having the check engine light lit locks you out of the dash menus and such, which is really annyoing.

With regards to powered idling to clean the chain, it's perfectly safe to do that so long as you're not touching the chain, particularly on the bottom pass heading towards the rear sprocket.  That's the fingerchopper.  I had this fault because I was doing that, but it's impossible to lose fingers if your fingers aren't anywhere they can get bound up and you're not using rags or other things that can get caught.  I'd just use spray cleaners and lube, and one of those three sided brushes to brush the top and sides of the chain while it's on the sprocket.  No pinch points, nothing to get caught, makes chain cleaning/lubing super easy, fast, and not even requiring gloves.  

• Like 1