2021 GT Updates

Darold

I figured it out later.

I have changed the seat position to high but then you get this little hole (marked in green).
What happens if it starts raining? I hope the water doesn't find a way in.

seathole.jpg

• Confused 1

Finally got to do a test ride on the Tracer9 GT yesterday. Great fun, but boy did I find that seat uncomfortable. Would welcome any comments from anyone who has spend time sat on it. Admittedly, it was at the lower setting, and the dealer couldn't work out how to lift the seat before I had to leave (!), but I am wondering if the comfort seat would be a better bet?

It might be a deal breaker..I will keeping my existing bike and put the money elsewhere.

Phil

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
11 hours ago, Zafiro said:

I figured it out later.

I have changed the seat position to high but then you get this little hole (marked in green).
What happens if it starts raining? I hope the water doesn't find a way in.

seathole.jpg

Maybe get some EPDM rubber and cut a skirt with a hole in it that fits under the seat but covers the gap all around between the gap between the seat and the body work below.

I did that on my FJ09 at the rear of the pilot seat and the pillion seat to keep water from entering between the 2

• Thumbsup 1

14 hours ago, Zafiro said:

I figured it out later.

Just when you thought Yamaha couldn’t make the security plug any more annoying to remove they went and did this:

image.thumb.jpeg.d940b217ee0072e01977b345c388d5bf.jpeg

glad you figured it, but for anyone else wondering the front seat latch is hidden underneath the hole that is exposed once you grab onto the big rubber handle I circled above. Really...(like, WTActual F Yamaha...)

-S

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, norfolkphil said:

Finally got to do a test ride on the Tracer9 GT yesterday. Great fun, but boy did I find that seat uncomfortable. Would welcome any comments from anyone who has spend time sat on it. Admittedly, it was at the lower setting, and the dealer couldn't work out how to lift the seat before I had to leave (!), but I am wondering if the comfort seat would be a better bet?

It might be a deal breaker..I will keeping my existing bike and put the money elsewhere.

Phil

If you can geat the comfort seat thrown in AND they can get it do it. NOBODY has them or kniws when available. That oem is torture. I didnt want to chance the Bagster without the fancy foam, or wait for the comfort. The guy in TN, is so backed up he isnt taking orders. Seat Concepts did not have anything for the GT, but if they did I'd give them a try. I paid the national debt for a Sargent. It does not fit the 2p2p GT as they say, but I got it to work just fine by altering the bike seat fittings. Was'nt gonna mess up a $600 seat, when $6 of bike parts could work. The Sargent is almost 3" wider in the dish and comfy so far over 300 miles. 

On 6/3/2021 at 8:04 AM, norfolkphil said:

Phil

My dealer went through everything with me at pickup - even though coming from a 2019 GT and having been reading and researching the new Tracer 9 for months I knew most of what he showed me - the new seat "spacer" thing would have fooled me.

I too find the seat on the T9 to be meh. I had no issues with the stock seat on my 2019 - but this one isn't great. The covering material doesn't allow you to move around as easily (which I'm sure some people like) and it definitely sits you more forward. I didn't feel the need for tank grips on my 2019, but will likely get them for this bike.

I ordered the comfort/touring seats for my bike - which I thought were very reasonably priced. The rear is available but the rider/front is backordered until end of June - same as the side cases so hopefully I can get them at the same time.

Rob

On 6/4/2021 at 10:06 AM, Ride365 said:

Regardless of how much is spent on a seat, for me personally nothing is more comfortable than an Airhawk used correctly. :)

I've used AH a couple times, just doesn't cut it. Different arses hang off the oem seat differently. AH is not rocket science to use, but its not for everyone. Works 4 U, great. Not so for many others.

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, TomTracer said:

I've used AH a couple times, just doesn't cut it. Different arses hang off the oem seat differently. AH is not rocket science to use, but its not for everyone. Works 4 U, great. Not so for many others.

I'm talking Airhawk models in general working very well for most any seat, they have a much larger fanbase than you are giving them credit for.....but yeah to each their own and with their hard earned money. And no not rocket science how to use them, but I assure you many are/have been using them wrong. I just cannot justify $400 plus dollars on a custom seat or Corbin/Sargent ever again, and yeah I've owned more than a few on different bikes of what I just mentioned. I also get less monkey butt or chafing on an AH, allows everything to breathe/circulate much better. LOL

• Thumbsup 1

Motorcycle seats are ridiculously expensive I fully agree. IMO the bike manufactures could easily tweek what they put on their bikes and provide acceptable comfort for a huge percentage of their buyers. Bet there are lots of us who have tried different items to improve riding comfort. But(t) when the hot spots flair up during a ride most of us will try anything! The most comfortable stock seat I ever had was on my KLR650, all day comfortable for me on many week long + trips. The least comfortable is the stocker on my new 2020 Yamaha Tracer 900GT. The fool who designed that stupid silver thing affixed to the front of the pillion seat deserves some sort of punishment 😬.

To each his own. I splurged on what I knew would solve my discomfort problem because cheaper options were all on back order. While I intend to keep riding as long as I can, at my age I won't waste a day of valuable riding time waiting on "we'll advise when this item becomes available" from seat comfort vendors affected by the business shut/slowdown due to the Covid issue. 

Anyway Ride365, sounds like your arse is happy, mine is happy! Let's keep riding safely and ENJOY!!

• Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I'm talking Airhawk models in general working very well for most any seat, they have a much larger fanbase than you are giving them credit for.....but yeah to each their own and with their hard earned money. And no not rocket science how to use them, but I assure you many are/have been using them wrong. I just cannot justify $400 plus dollars on a custom seat or Corbin/Sargent ever again, and yeah I've owned more than a few on different bikes of what I just mentioned. I also get less monkey butt or chafing on an AH, allows everything to breathe/circulate much better. LOL

Can you give us some pointers on how it should be used please?  I have a long ride planned on my Yam T7 and purchased the AH on a whim hoping anything would help.  I have a Seat Concepts comfort seat on it and it is better but starts hurting on hour 2-3.

On 6/5/2021 at 12:49 AM, tclhb said:

I see at least two dealerships in the US have the 2021s in stock. Finally!

the one from the Purceville dealer is mine!  :)  Picking it up Tuesday.  

• Thumbsup 2

4 hours ago, h1seoul said:

Can you give us some pointers on how it should be used please?  I have a long ride planned on my Yam T7 and purchased the AH on a whim hoping anything would help.  I have a Seat Concepts comfort seat on it and it is better but starts hurting on hour 2-3.

People use too much air overall, that's the biggest mistake. You should literally feel the air moving between the chambers when adjusting your butt around. You don't want to hit the seat pan, but also don't want it to feel like a blow up raft. Once dialed in it's simply amazing and I can ride and ride and ride, so yeah less is always better with the air amount, and it's so easy/quick to adjust for the perfect feel. 

4 hours ago, h1seoul said:

the one from the Purceville dealer is mine!  :)  Picking it up Tuesday.  

More received them since Friday. I have one that is open today (Sunday), but it’s far away. I may go see if I can work a deal, or wait till Tuesday and do the same with more local dealers.