2021 GT Updates

Darold

2 hours ago, Greasyjonny said:

Seeing as Akra’s tracer exhaust is identical to their MT-09 exhaust you could infer that This yoshimura exhaust for the 2021 MT-09 would also be their offering for the Tracer model. Looks a lot better IMHO. Under slung is the way to go. Cheaper too. 

You'd probably lose the centre stand with that one...

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, fjray said:

And kickstart only.  I loved my RDs though. 

But a 6  year old could start it.  With my Martek electronic ignition, if you give it a half kick it'll start and run BACKWARDS given it's symmetrical port timing.

Won a few bets that way that it had 6 speeds forward and 6 reverse.

Jest gotta do it carefully and slowly as the clutch basket nut and others will loosen!

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

But a 6  year old could start it.  With my Martek electronic ignition, if you give it a half kick it'll start and run BACKWARDS given it's symmetrical port timing.

Won a few bets that way that it had 6 speeds forward and 6 reverse.

Jest gotta do it carefully and slowly as the clutch basket nut and others will loosen!

True. I could start it with my hand.

Picked up my Liquid Metal GT today in the Chicago area.  Rode home in a pouring rain but the bike handled well.

About the seat. it is very comfy but wide compared to my FZ1, I can still flat foot both legs but it's a bit of a stretch as I have a 30" inseam.

They have a red one and after seeing both colors in the flesh I'm glad I got the Liq Met.  It's snappier looking in my opinion than the red.

Edited by OldBikers
added text
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, OldBikers said:

Picked up my Liquid Metal GT today in the Chicago area.  Rode home in a pouring rain but the bike handled well.

About the seat. it is very comfy but wide compared to my FZ1, I can still flat foot both legs but it's a bit of a stretch as I have a 30" inseam.

They have a red one and after seeing both colors in the flesh I'm glad I got the Liq Met.  It's snappier looking in my opinion than the red.

Well, red is still faster! Enjoy the new ride, and do so safely!

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

Well, red is still faster! Enjoy the new ride, and do so safely!

That's what I said to him

Before he left I said you couldn't pick a worse day to do it and he said he had his rain gear but it didn't help

I just can't believe he did it because Chicago traffic with tornadoes in the area for the last couple of days

What is mode 2 to out of 4

Isn't that what you said you were in

It's still nowhere near as bad as coming back from the 08 moto GP

That was a major near US Minnow storm

3 and a 1/2 hours normal turned into 12 of hell

I rode through water up to my knees and all the major highways shut down and the cops were nowhere to be seen to redirect traffic

I think I 65 was shut down for like a week

David I'm glad you're back in one piece we'll talk later

There are 4 ride modes on the Tracer 9.  1 is the most performance, 2 is milder, 3 is even more mild and 4 is "rain" mode where about 50% of the engine power is cut off.

This was the worst rain storm that I ever rode in.  Key thing is to stay calm and not to twist the throttle too hard, leave at least 3 or 4 seconds between you and the vehicle in front.  My Tourmaster Transition 4 jacket and Venture pants were overwhelmed by the intensity of the rain.  The front wheel spray was enough to creep past my pants and fill up my A* boots (squish, squish).

I was at the 2015 Indy MotoGP and the rain held off until the end of the race and then it came down hard.  I was traveling back to Bloomington and taking the backroads but I did see a couple HDs that crashed, they tried to warn me but it seems that there was diesel fuel on the road washed up by the rain which caused them to lose control.  Other than that it was uneventful.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Oldbikers* spankin new 21 GT and my 1st gen, which being red is faster.

+ a buds S1000XR

228 miles today of Wisconsin bliss, less slabbing 50 miles up and back.

Front and rear visibility of the 21 sucks big time it needs a HLM and more up front and a a Blaster-X  taillight and auxiliary brake light.

*He ain't that old BTW, just in crappy shape.

20210627_141355.jpg

20210627_120508.jpg

20210627_114912.jpg

20210627_114844.jpg

20210627_114833.jpg

20210627_114820.jpg

20210627_114812.jpg

20210627_171836.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

In my opinion, all motorcycles (and bicycles) are invisible to cagers regardless of lighting.  Best is to assume you are invisible and ride accordingly.

Yesterday was fun and I like this 9GT much more than my old FZ1.  It's the same weight (according to Yamaha) but feels lighter.  My only minor complaint is that the seat is too wide for my skinny butt.  Dash visibility in direct sunlight leaves something to be desired even on max brightness.  I couldn't really feel any difference from Ride Mode 1 or 2 but perhaps after "break in" and at higher rpms it should show some difference.  The active suspension works rather well but it can't predict bumps ahead.  The windscreen is nice and does give this 5'9" person wind protection at 80mph (bike is still in break in). 

I didn't expect decel popping on a stock exhaust but it is kind of mellow.

• Thumbsup 1

Picked mine up today finally, ordered back in November. I can truly be a part of this forum now 🤣. What a machine, I wish I had previous experience with the previous generations to give a proper review with comparisons justice but I am only 50 miles in on it so I couldn't even give an honest stand alone review. Living in Northern Idaho, it's unfortunate the A/C didn't seem to be working today (I saw 110 🥵).

I have a West Cost tour coming up here in a few weeks and this will be the ride of choice, happy it made it in, unfortunately the panniers are backordered. Anyone else in the U.S. having the same issue?

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member
22 hours ago, OldBikers said:

In my opinion, all motorcycles (and bicycles) are invisible to cagers regardless of lighting.  Best is to assume you are invisible and ride accordingly.

Yesterday was fun and I like this 9GT much more than my old FZ1.  It's the same weight (according to Yamaha) but feels lighter.  My only minor complaint is that the seat is too wide for my skinny butt.  Dash visibility in direct sunlight leaves something to be desired even on max brightness.  I couldn't really feel any difference from Ride Mode 1 or 2 but perhaps after "break in" and at higher rpms it should show some difference.  The active suspension works rather well but it can't predict bumps ahead.  The windscreen is nice and does give this 5'9" person wind protection at 80mph (bike is still in break in). 

I didn't expect decel popping on a stock exhaust but it is kind of mellow.

I presume you had a lot better ride than you would have with Chaiway. Not LOL

Does Jim know some great roads that flow together or what?  And riding with us speed balls behind he was just about falling asleep on his XR, which is a comfy rocket!

19 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I presume you had a lot better ride than you would have with Chaiway. Not LOL

Does Jim know some great roads that flow together or what?  And riding with us speed balls behind he was just about falling asleep on his XR, which is a comfy rocket!

I told Jim that I ride at my own pace and on a new bike I take it easy as I learn how it handles.  Besides I tend not to double or triple the posted speed limits and never ride very fast on unknown blind turns.

Other than that, the T9GT handled exceptionally well.  I usually ride on Michelin tires but these Bridgestone Battlax T32 tires are confidence inspiring.  Do I miss my old FZ1, Nope.