2021 GT Updates

Darold

10 hours ago, SalarymanJ said:

For anyone that is curious, a dealer in my neck of the woods finally got a tracer 9 gt in. I was able to sit on it right next to a 900 gt and even though the seat is “lower” the wider seat definitely makes it “higher”. I am 5’11 (183 cm) and I can easily flat foot the 900 GT but on the 9 GT I am on the balls of my feet.  Not too high maybe heels are up maybe an inch but there is definitely a difference. I like being able to put my feet flat and I thought with lower height would be fine but not so much.  Just an example of should probably try before you buy! Not sure if after market seat would change this or not but maybe… going to go look at a 9 GT again, Ducati MS 950S and Triumph tiger today.. we will see what I walk out with.. 

Did they have the 9 GT seat in the high position?  My dealer had setup the bike with the seat in the high position.  The salesman didn't know how to lower it but I made sure to try it in the low position before buying it.  I found the 900 GT seat to be higher than the 9 GT in the low position for my 30" inseam.

18 hours ago, SalarymanJ said:

even though the seat is “lower” the wider seat definitely makes it “higher”.

Earlier in this thread I quoted the specs that show that the 2021 9GT seat is lower than the 2020 900GT. My thinking was that this makes the bike more accessible to, ahem, height challenged riders.

But I didn't take width into account - and the Yammy sites make no mention of it in the specs. But on reflection, width obviously impacts "height".

It seems obvious in retrospect, but the raw seat-height specs are not the be-all and end-all of understanding the bike.

A lesson learned. For me.

• Thumbsup 2

4 hours ago, flyfifer said:

I have just read in MSL magazine that the 2021 GT panniers are bigger and mount differently to the 2018/20 GT.

There were no pics with the panniers off to refer to.

Can anybody confirm that ?

Huh it occurs to me that I've never seen the panniers.  All the bikes in shops locally don't have them.

However, I can confirm that the mounts are different.  They're well hidden on the third gen; I looked for the slots&tab setup of the previous versions but didn't see them.  

On 7/31/2021 at 10:54 PM, SalarymanJ said:

Hmm could have been in high position I didn’t check.  Have to wait until they are open again then guess will give it another shot. 

I now own the T9 GT.  I previously had a 2015 FJ09 that I rode for over 5 years.  The seat on the T9 is definitely higher than the previous gens.  It is much improved over the previous models but still lots of room for improvement.  I do plan on getting the heated comfort seat.  I love the bike but I am having a few issues that need addressed at the breaking maintenance.

• Thumbsup 2
Brad
Selbyville, DE

• Supporting Member
On 8/3/2021 at 12:59 PM, BVEBRAD said:

I now own the T9 GT.    It is much improved over the previous models but still lots of room for improvement.

8 hours ago, nick@forceberg.net said:

I've enjoyed about 3000km on this beauty so far. Nothing negative to date to mention.

What do you guys think of the split instrument gauges?  For as many reviews where riders claim they are just fine, I read almost as many with riders claim they are too glossy and angled wrong and hard to read in the bright sunshine.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

13 minutes ago, betoney said:

What do you guys think of the split instrument gauges?  For as many reviews where riders claim they are just fine, I read almost as many with riders claim they are too glossy and angled wrong and hard to read in the bright sunshine.

I'm on the positive side. They are really great and looks really good in real life too.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
27 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Finally!   I wonder if there will be a Star Wars Retrofit option for the T9?  :) 

Motorcycle giant Yamaha is building a device to make electric vehicles sound like 'Star Wars'

How about something 'fun' sounding for sitting in traffic.  😎

• Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 8/6/2021 at 10:00 AM, betoney said:

No issues. Work fine and you don't notice the unique design over time.

• Thanks 1

On 8/6/2021 at 1:29 AM, nick@forceberg.net said:

I've enjoyed about 3000km on this beauty so far. Nothing negative to date to mention. 

Simply a great bike!

Also decided to get a new helmet with matching paint job. Shoei GT-Air 2.

I may have also gotten a new Shoei to match the bike (I know, I know)...was able to find a RF1200 in this colour scheme.

shoei_rumpus.jpg

• Thumbsup 1