Starting out again after 17 years

PowerMalc

Hello.

After 17 years the itch to get a bike again has finally got a hold !!

My last bike was a Honda CBR600FX sports bike but this this time I wanted a more 'tour' bike and relaxing position 

on the bike.

Test rode a Tracer and the new BMW F900XR, I did not like the vibes of the parallel twin and the gearbox was terrible. I rode the tracer second and my mind was immediately made up, loved the smoothness of the triple and a more comfortable seat.

So have just done a deal for the bike in the picture which I get delivered next month. Brand new and a 2020 70 plate

My mate who reignited my desire for another bike has just got a new BMW S1000XR, not sure I will be able to keep up with him. !!

I am from Stamford UK

Malcolm

image.png.dd6dfd4b56018d668d194c37f55a1e72.png

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 5

• Supporting Member

Congratulations on your new your new bike and getting back in the saddle. I wouldn't worry about keeping up with your pal, the Tracer is more than up to the task. Also welcome to the forum and remember the best money spent on your bike will be on the suspension. Enjoy!

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Welcome Back- Good Choice on the Tracer.  I looked at the F900 XR. What killed me this that I wanted the base bike with only Cruise control and Heated Grips added.  The Dealer looked in the US inventory and could not find one.  He said he could order it, but then asked why would you order a bike without all the options (he said it would be Half-assed of me) and could take 2-3 months.   The other option was to have them add it at the shop.   The factory installed option "Select Package" was $1,000 USD, the cost to have the dealer add only the CG and HG (not the whole package) was over $2,000USD.  Plus the select package had TPMS, GPS mount and Saddle bag mounts as part of the deal.

They asked me if I wanted to test ride it, I declined.    Besides - BMW targeted the Tracer 900 when they developed the F900 XR.  

Again- Yamaha knocked it out of the park

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, RedBlock said:

Welcome Back- Good Choice on the Tracer.  I looked at the F900 XR. What killed me this that I wanted the base bike with only Cruise control and Heated Grips added.  The Dealer looked in the US inventory and could not find one.  He said he could order it, but then asked why would you order a bike without all the options (he said it would be Half-assed of me) and could take 2-3 months.   The other option was to have them add it at the shop.   The factory installed option "Select Package" was $1,000 USD, the cost to have the dealer add only the CG and HG (not the whole package) was over $2,000USD.  Plus the select package had TPMS, GPS mount and Saddle bag mounts as part of the deal.

They asked me if I wanted to test ride it, I declined.    Besides - BMW targeted the Tracer 900 when they developed the F900 XR.  

Again- Yamaha knocked it out of the park

BMW and their "packages"... (sigh)   I have looked at the 'build your own' feature on their website for various models and realize that you always have to add something you might not want or need that is bundled in a specific package, it seems easier and possibly cheaper to add a 'package' than a few select items.  I figure you need to just add $2,500-$3,000 on top of the listed price as a rough estimate. 

The one thing that baffles me about the F900 XR is the availability of electronic suspension on the rear but the forks are completely non-adjustable? 🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

Welcome @PowerMalc...  both to the forum, and more importantly back to riding!   Great choice with the Tracer, and I’m sure you’re going to love it.  We’ll be anxious to hear you thoughts after you take delivery.  

I’m seeing a pattern of riders returning to the sport after a long hiatus, and the Tracer/FJ seems to be right at the top of the list as bike of choice.   

Thanks to you all for your replies.

I appreciate the friendliness of the views and thoughts being offered, it certainly seems a friendly forum.

Will get my new bike on 12th October, can't wait !

Now busy looking to add some additions, Heed crash bars, rad guard, axle protectors

• Thumbsup 2

18 minutes ago, PowerMalc said:

Thanks to you all for your replies.

I appreciate the friendliness of the views and thoughts being offered, it certainly seems a friendly forum.

Will get my new bike on 12th October, can't wait !

Now busy looking to add some additions, Heed crash bars, rad guard, axle protectors

Most end up changing the oem screen, some the seat, and the footpegs. 

Enjoy your bike, I hope the weather stays fine so that you can enjoy her.

• Thumbsup 1