Textile touring jacket.....what have you got?

johnmark101

• Premium Member

Did a lot of research before I bought my Klim Latitude. I don't live near a major riding or metro area so I had to rely on online reviews, friends, and personal experience. The Klim replaced an Aerostich RC classic 1 piece that needed a repair but was almost at the end of its service life (Aerostich will service their gear for 15 years) and a Teknic 3 layer jacket. 

Klim, Rev it, Aerostich, some Dianese, some BMW, and some Alpinestar have single layer waterproof/protective shells. IMO zip in liners aren't any better than throwing a rain jacket over leathers, which I did for many years. Reading reviews, none of the Alpinestar vented well. 

If I could have bought an RC3 jacket, I probably would have, but I really wanted 2 piece. This is based heavily on @keithus recommendation for storage which I now agree with based on my own experience. I've read enough negative reviews of Dariens to not be interested. I did invest in AD1 pants. The Klim replaced a 15+ year old Teknic jacket and the RC classic. 

Klim Latitude - good venting, comfortable from about 60 to almost 90 - in the Deep South, so humidity, too - with just a t shirt underneath (good into 20s with layers or heated gear), waterproof, weird collar like everyone says, wide fit at the waist. Decent storage but all of the pockets are just a little small. Unfortunately mine is out of service right now for repair for a tear in the Gore Tex by the lower snap that's not warranty in spite of being just over a year old.

A friend has ridden in Rev It (Neptune?) from Labrador Canada to Baja Mexico and swears by it. Similar prices to Klim. 

I keep my gear for a decade or more. I have a mesh jacket going into its 19th year, and all I've done is replace the armor once. I don't mind spending $500 or more on gear if I can use it comfortably. I've actually been reducing the number of items I have to just a few that can handle months of riding with a little overlap. 

Wondering if jackets like the Klim Lattitude would flow air as well with all the vents open

IME, Klim Latitude is perfectly fine with all vents open so long as you're moving up to 85. At 90 it gets hot. 

• Thumbsup 1

What negative reviews of Dariens changed your mind, heck MOST reviews I've read were overwhelmingly positive as are the experiences of those I personally know "and yours truly" who wear them?

• Premium Member
On 12/21/2020 at 9:46 AM, johnmark101 said:

At 90 and above it is too hot.  

I live in South  Florida.  Above 90* F even mesh jackets are uncomfortably hot. YMMV 

I wear a Rev'It mesh when riding local and in the summer it's 🔥 

20201218_161857.jpg

20201218_161851.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

And one more here wearing Klim Latitude Misano jacket and pants combo. Because it is black I recently got Carlsbad (in grey) for summer riding which is lighter and has even better venting.

Yup to each their own concerning Stich or honestly any of the great gear out there, but I have 3 buds who wear nothing but overpriced and overrated KLIM and have also had their fair share of issues, at least Stich repairs and does alterations for their gear. :) 

• Thumbsup 1

On 12/20/2020 at 8:25 PM, SKYFLIX said:

I ride with a Revit Sand 3 jacket year round except for the hottest of summer days, when I use a fully vented Joe Rocket. it doesn't quite breath well enough for that, even with all of the vents open, though you might get away with it in Kentucky. It comes with both a waterproof and insulated liner which keeps me quite warm in the cooler months. It has two pretty sizable front pockets as well as a few smaller pockets here and there. My only real complaint is that putting in the liners is a bit of a pain in the rear end. So if you think you're gonna get in some showers, it's best to put it in before you leave. Shoulder and elbow protection comes standard, but no back armor. I'm not even sure if they make this particular jacket anymore, but Revit does make some solid gear.

So far the Sand 3 and the pants that go with it are at the top of my list.  Like you, I am not too fond of fiddly liners as I have had a couple in some of my older leather jackets.  But considering features and price it seem quite the bang for the buck.  

How do you feel about the level of protection the jacket provides?  I am having a hard time switching away from leathers.  As someone who used to do track days and has been on the asphalt a couple times I am curious about a textile jackets ability to protect in a get off/slide.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

I'm still wearing my 30+ year old Stitch 2 piece "Classic" as its still in great shape if not as waterproof as newer versions.  With a water soaked T shirt and thin cotton pants underneath its comfy up to almost 90.  Its so light weight even with the back pad and hip armor.  I've had them let it out as I've expanded...

About 5 years or so ago I sprang for their Transit 2 Gorepro leather 2 piece suit which is super but only comfy up to 80 ~ 85

I have a closet full of gear, including ancient but still in super shape solid and perforated Fieldsheer 2 piece suits, Revit textile which is not fully waterproof as touted and good up to about 80, Fieldsheer, Pilot, Joe Rocketand Tourmaster mesh jackets and pants, and Kevlar stuff.

But for $  / years of functional use, Aerostitch can't be beat, and it's made and serviced in the USA!

• Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

So far the Sand 3 and the pants that go with it are at the top of my list.  Like you, I am not too fond of fiddly liners as I have had a couple in some of my older leather jackets.  But considering features and price it seem quite the bang for the buck.  

How do you feel about the level of protection the jacket provides?  I am having a hard time switching away from leathers.  As someone who used to do track days and has been on the asphalt a couple times I am curious about a textile jackets ability to protect in a get off/slide.

Having never gone down on the road, it's impossible for me to answer that. All I  can say is that the jacket and pants are HEAVY. I certainly do *feel* very well protected.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 weeks later...

RevIt mesh jacket for summer and an AlpinStars textile for the winter.  The AlpinStars just has a couple of vents and by the mid 70's it is too warm.  I generally switch jackets in the spring and late fall.  The RevIt has held up very well.  It has white sleeves with black mesh.  The white parts are really dirty particularly on the front and the cuffs.  I wear gauntlet gloves which go over the cuffs so they tend to pick up dirt.  It has seen lots of miles and temperatures from 34F and rain to 103F and humid!  Living in the south have to get used to riding in temperatures in the mid to upper 90s.  For rain I have used a cheap Frog Toggs rain suit from WalMart or Amazon.  On my long trips have to plan for hot and cold weather.  The Mesh jacket is essential for the hot and humid weather, for cooler temps add layers under the jacket.  I have a Freeze Out jacket from Cycle Gear that works perfectly as an insulating layer and a wind barrier.  When cold weather or rain hits I'll add the FrogTogg on top of my riding gear.  A bit cumbersome but don't use it very often and it works well and had a hood that goes under the helmet - no rain trickling down my back!  Last June I got caught out in a daylong rain ride and the temperature dropped to 34F and rain (mountain pass).  My FrogTogg jacket kept my upper body dry while the pants were in the bottom of my duffle and too much trouble to get out.  My riding pants did OK but still was wet around my waist and my legs were damp.  Coldest ride I've done!  Biggest drawback of FrogToggs is the jackets tend to shred after a couple of days riding - I always take 2.  

A big lesson I learned it check the weather before you leave.  I thought it was going to be mid 60sF with an occasional rain shower and maybe dip into upper 50s briefly.  No!!!!  350 mile ride from Moab Utah, 40 miles and then the rain hit, high winds, torrential rain and the temperature dropped into the mid 50s.  The as I rode north the temperature slowly dropped going thru a mountain pass dropped to 34F and still raining - watching carefully for frozen precipitation!  After the pass it too a long time for the temperature to get warmer.  20 or 30 miles before it got to 40!  Ran out of the rain about 50 miles before I got to Rock Spring Wyoming.  A very memorable ride and the day before it was sunny and 99F.  LOL my heated liner was safely at home!  I did buy a better rain jacket and still prefer a rain jacket over a mesh jacket.  If it's warm or hot and just a quick summer shower, I keep going and ride thru and dry out in the breeze as long as there is no lightning.

• Supporting Member
8 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

A big lesson I learned it check the weather before you leave.  I thought it was going to be mid 60sF with an occasional rain shower and maybe dip into upper 50s briefly.  No!!!!  350 mile ride from Moab Utah, 40 miles and then the rain hit, high winds, torrential rain and the temperature dropped into the mid 50s.  The as I rode north the temperature slowly dropped going thru a mountain pass dropped to 34F and still raining - watching carefully for frozen precipitation!  After the pass it too a long time for the temperature to get warmer.  20 or 30 miles before it got to 40!  Ran out of the rain about 50 miles before I got to Rock Spring Wyoming.  A very memorable ride and the day before it was sunny and 99F

We encountered the same adverse weather in the same region.  Moab was 104F as we headed north, the weather was bright and sunny as we left Vernal, Ut toward Flaming Gorge and then out of nowhere the skies turned BLACK and the temperature dropped to 42F and we got stuck in the heaviest downpour I have ever ridden through, all the way into Rock Springs, Wy.  Even though it was a Summer road trip, something told me to bring rain gear, SO glad that I did and will always pack it with me in the future.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Similar, Moab was 99 the day before, hit rain on I70 then turned off on 191 and temperature kept dropping.  Think it was south of Vernal where I went thru the pass where it dropped to 34F.  North of Vernal 191 was closed 17 miles north of the intersection with 44.  I had to turn around and go 44 which went on the west side of Flaming Gorge.  A cold wet ride!  Next day took I 80 over to Fort Collins CO.  I took 13N off of I80 and went over to 287 north of Laramie and then 287 down to Fort Collins.  A longer way but a beautiful ride.  2 days later the D..... storm that traveled 700 miles and caused a lot of damage put snow on I80!  This was in June!  One off my Christmas presents was a Warm and Safe heated liner that makes a nice light jacket when not riding.  I am currently working on installing a Neutrino Element to control my lights and heated gear.

Screen Shot 2020-07-26 at 5.49.04 PM.png

Edited by PhotoAl