Someone asked how much weight the sidestand can support.

I suppose hollow design is a weight saving thing.  I think the center stand is hollow too, correct?

Both are in the spray zone so I guess rust is inevitable.  Certainly will look at mine given salt dust I've been riding through all winter here in NH.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
33 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

I’ve used my kickstand as a pivot to spin the bike around. Many times loaded with side bags, a tail bag, tank bag and a cooler. Looks like I’ll be spraying some oil in to it to prevent rust. 
last year the wife and I were returning from a long weekend trip into WV and OH. We stopped in Butcher Hollow KY to visit the Loretta Lynn home. I spun the fully loaded bike around in the parking lot of the general store so that we could get out easier. An old man got out of his truck and walked over and said “ I bet you couldn’t do that with my Harley”. I laughed and guaranteed him that I couldn’t. 

I have used that technique many times myself.  I ride with several guys w/o center stands, at the end of the day on road trips they use that method to lube their chain, one hand holding the handlebar elevating the rear wheel and the other spraying and wiping the chain. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, nhchris said:

I suppose hollow design is a weight saving thing.  I think the center stand is hollow too, correct?

Both are in the spray zone so I guess rust is inevitable.  Certainly will look at mine given salt dust I've been riding through all winter here in NH.

On closer inspection, it's interesting - mine is rusted most severely at the top (by where it broke) and very little towards the bottom and the drain hole.  Curious.  But yeah, riding through salty slurries here can't possibly have helped that.  Gonna have to figure something out for the new one.

Thinking I'm gonna have the guys in the shop at work weld the old one back together (stuck a slug of steel inside to support it) as a spare, but I really doubt I'll ever need it.

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/6/2021 at 5:51 PM, PhotoAl said:

My BMW F800GT had a solid steel side stand.  It would make me nervous as it would flex a bit but did the job - foot was way to small.  Myy Kymco scooter does have a hollow side stand 🙂 but it stays mostly on the center stand.

I would recommend painting the inside of the new stand with some sort of rustproofing paint.  May not prevent rust but hopefully would slot it down.  The way it broke is unusual.  Im no metallurgist but would have thought it might have bent instead of tearing like that.  Almost wonder if it was a manufacturing defect or something.  Doesn't appear to be any flattening, maybe because it is so close to the weld.  

Yeah, no flattening anywhere at all, just tore, sill perfectly round.  Kinda wierd, really.  

• Premium Member
On 3/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, nhchris said:

I think the center stand is hollow too, correct?

I'm sure it is, they are on most bikes. It'd be pretty damned heavy it if were solid. 

I just looked at my YZF750 and it has a solid steel sidestand. Since it's solid the diameter is about half as big as the FJ-09 sidestand. 

1 hour ago, keithu said:

I'm sure it is, they are on most bikes. It'd be pretty damned heavy it if were solid. 

I just looked at my YZF750 and it has a solid steel sidestand. Since it's solid the diameter is about half as big as the FJ-09 sidestand. 

Yeah, the center stand is huge, if it where solid steel it'd be insanely heavy.

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread simply to ask, is it OK  (with the sidestand down)  to put all my weight on the inboard peg and mount the bike?  When just standing beside the bike  I find it very difficult to swing my right leg over the back when getting on as I have a top case on the passenger seat and I am not a very flexible dude.. I worry about overstressing the stand.  I weight 205 lbs with gear..

6 hours ago, Skidood said:

Reviving this thread simply to ask, is it OK  (with the sidestand down)  to put all my weight on the inboard peg and mount the bike?  When just standing beside the bike  I find it very difficult to swing my right leg over the back when getting on as I have a top case on the passenger seat and I am not a very flexible dude.. I worry about overstressing the stand.  I weight 205 lbs with gear..

Been doing it for 3 years without an issue.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

FYI... I had my side stand shortened a inch when I lowered the my 2017 by 1.5 inches.  The welder said the side stand was hollow inside and he put a bar inside to add strength.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, bowlin01 said:

Been doing it for 3 years without an issue.

I weigh prolly 255 with ATG and started this season mounting up that way cuz of my bad back.  I half expect the SS to snap and for me and bike to topple over in a calamitous heap each time I attempt the precarious maneuver so I keep my clips front helmet visor down and put my gloves on before!!! 

Seriously!

Is there a way of spraying a corrosion inhibiting coating (my fav is CRC SP400) up into the top of the sidestand without removing it, or drilling a small hole at the top; which I'm sure would create a weak point and ensure a self-fulfilling prophecy of failure??? 

• Supporting Member
On 6/7/2021 at 7:33 PM, Skidood said:

is it OK  (with the sidestand down)  to put all my weight on the inboard peg and mount the bike

100%.  I've been doing this since I bought it.  With ATG (and some extra Covid-waistline).

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

If the worst corrosion occurs at the top, it's doubtful the bottom hole will work without removal

Thx

Why?  When the kickstand is up, it's horizontal.  You could use the hole to spray throughout the inside of the kickstand easily.  Just put the bike on the centerstand and look at the bottom of the sidestand.