FAREWELL...

So very sorry to hear about that Wordy. I do hope you will hang around but I suspect that may just be a little too much salt in the wound. I’m sure you have thought about a bike that can’t fall over? Do trikes/three wheelers work to fill the gap?

• Premium Member

I'm sure he is or has considered 3 wheel transport but, as they said in first Top Gun training lecture, "You can't hit what you can't see", and if you don't know which way is up, what's in the other direction greets you all too fast.".

Wordy, I know flying is out but what about sky diving...and aren't you being treated by an opthomologist, not an optometrist?

And you're still just a kid.  My old man is 99, and all I can say about him is the good die young.  Same goes for my mother, 5 years his junior.

Good luck regardless and check in occasionally if it's not too painful.

I applaud you sir. For riding such lively motorcycles until that beautiful age, for showing all of us that it is possible to enjoy them and stay safe, for your words of wisdom and your talent to write them down and last but not least for your “one minor drop” record. 

I have no doubt that you will quickly find other things to enjoy, as the world is full of them. I wish you all the best.

• Thumbsup 1

17 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I'm sure he is or has considered 3 wheel transport but, as they said in first Top Gun training lecture, "You can't hit what you can't see", and if you don't know which way is up, what's in the other direction greets you all too fast.".

Wordy, I know flying is out but what about sky diving...and aren't you being treated by an opthomologist, not an optometrist?

And you're still just a kid.  My old man is 99, and all I can say about him is the good die young.  Same goes for my mother, 5 years his junior.

Good luck regardless and check in occasionally if it's not too painful.

His business card and brass plate on the door says "optometrist".   It's all he does...

May be a cartoon of text that says 'WHRRR! Greap waiengten Crate 2031 3/5 OK, WHAT KIND OF MOTORCYCLE DID YOU BUY, AND HOW MUCH WAS IT?'

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

First of all you will be missed if you leave the forum.  I have enjoyed reading your posts sir.

The rest of us can only hope that we can continue to ride up to the age of 82.  The fact that you were able to do so was a blessing as most of us will probably reach the point you have some years earlier in life.  I personally know of only one other rider who continued riding up to the age of 81 before he could no longer do so.  

Best of luck to you in managing the health issues you mentioned.  Keep moving, keep challenging your mind as much as you can.

I have often though that when the day comes that I give up motorcycles I might turn to karting.  It looks like a lot of fun.  Best of luck to you in finding something to fill the void.

Best regards.........John.

• Thumbsup 4

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member
38 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

His business card and brass plate on the door says "optometrist".   It's all he does...

May be a cartoon of text that says 'WHRRR! Greap waiengten Crate 2031 3/5 OK, WHAT KIND OF MOTORCYCLE DID YOU BUY, AND HOW MUCH WAS IT?'

The reason I asked is here in the US as follows applies. "An exception to the ocular surgical scope of practice being limited to ophthalmologists is the opportunity in three states for optometrists to perform certain laser procedures (primarily posterior capsulotomy and glaucoma laser procedures) and a limited number of other minor nonlaser surgical procedures.".  I've had the blink and it's over cataract lense replacement (though the anaesthesiaologist screwed up and didn't give me enough local so it was 25 minutes of torture), and 2 of my kids have had detached retina procedures (and they and the third have to be closely monitored because it's apparently a heredity thing), as here in the land of Lincoln optometrists are not allowed to handle even minor procedures.

When I give my wife of +40 years (we married relatively late) a quick kiss in the morning, usually before leaving for a ride, when she's still in bed with her eyes closed and half awake, without even opening her eyes she says "What did you do?" in an inquisitioner's tone...

• Thumbsup 2

Sad to hear the news Wordsmith, I’ve got loads of suggestions on filling the time but suspect you will find your own way into something quickly. Respectable decision for sure.

As others have said stay or pop in when you can and say hey. 

cheers,

Skip

• Premium Member

Wordsmith - You will be missed, but not forgotten here, I hope I can ride half as long as you have. I think we all have pondered what will happen when we get to the place you have arrived, but it is too painful to think about. You, my friend, have met the demon head-on, and with class not many of us can muster.

Enjoy your new pursuits, and check in on us from time to time.....

• Thumbsup 1

Best wishes to you going forward. It's a decision I believe that many of us don't want to make. In the meantime we can only get out more, see more roads and have more adventures while we can. I'll take your post as inspiration to fill my cup with more of it going forward!

• Thumbsup 1

Very rough business, Wordsmith. But obviously the correct call. Vertigo and two wheels are a bad combo, a prescription for trouble. The leg issues are almost as bad, especially in city traffic where you are stopping a lot.

Getting along in ones year's calls for periodic adjustments. I know myself and quite a few others are on the Tracer because our previous heavy touring bikes were becoming more of a problem in low-speed/parking lot maneuvers. My loaded up FJR1300 was getting to be an uncomfortable handful when fully loaded.

Best of luck to you, sir. 👍

• Thumbsup 2

Just because the motorcycle has departed doesn't mean you need to.  You thoughts and involvement here are important and I hope you stick around.  I agree with your decision and applaud you for knowing when it is time before the decision is forced on you.  As 70 is closer than 60 it is good to hear from someone who kept riding until 82.  

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

Just because the motorcycle has departed doesn't mean you need to.  You thoughts and involvement here are important and I hope you stick around.  I agree with your decision and applaud you for knowing when it is time before the decision is forced on you.  As 70 is closer than 60 it is good to hear from someone who kept riding until 82.  

@PhotoAl said it better than I could have!!

As someone who seems to be aging quickly rather suddenly, I can't echo @PhotoAl's words strongly enough - I'd absolutely be interested in what you've done to enjoy your two wheeled adventures as thoroughly as you have.  Your experiences are important for some of us to learn from.

• Thumbsup 4

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

82 is a nice age to stop motorcycling! I just got back into them three years ago at age 60. Built a cottage and had to get a bike to enjoy the local roads and lack of traffic.Hope i can ride my new Tracer 900 as long as Wordsmith... Cheers!

Edited by Garz747
  • Thumbsup 1