What boots do you ride in?

Cruizin

• Premium Member
If you like the short Alpinestars boots above then check out the Daytona boots I recommend above. Those in Europe can get them from German retailers like Louis.de or FC-Moto. I wear a pair of Daytona Rainbow boots in the office all day. The current pair are 15 years old so I have just ordered another pair before they discontinue them from http://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=4421078&ViewAction=ViewProduct - create an account and leave them in your shopping basket. A 10% voucher code will appear in your inbox in a day or two. Mine came to about £135 inc. shipping.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Dainese full-length boots with ankle and shin protectors. I have two pairs--one more "racy" with a hinge, and one more "tourey". I was wearing the latter pair when I dropped a bike on my ankle several years ago, and they may have saved me from a broken ankle.

I'm usually ATG, but even when I'm not, I wear boots. I hate the idea of not having full use of my legs for six weeks or however long it would be.

• 4 weeks later...
Just treated my Gaerne Balances to a coat of mink oil. Great boots, well broken in after a year of use. The soles are soft and grip even wet/oily pavement, including the oily spots at traffic lights with all kinds of effluvia from cars.  Not great for an hours long hike, but comfortable to walk in.  They already saved me from a potentially painful injury - a large rock thrown up from between a set of duallies on a truck that bounced along the road and lit against my shin.  An expected hazard of riding back roads is the occasional logging truck that is dropping all kinds of crap after it gets onto the road. 
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Just repalced my worn out Alpinestars with a new pair of TCX Explorer EVO Gore-Tex Boots.  Very comfortable for a wide foot and cooler than I expected for a fully waterproof boot.  Looks great and can be worn all day with no issues.  Stiff left to right (as they should be) to prevent torsion on your ankle, but very flexible up and down to allow peg and shifting movements.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-explorer-evo-gore-tex-boots

• Premium Member
I use the Alpinestars Sierra Gore-Tex XCR Boots. look like regular boots people walk around in, and are very comfortable. Not as much protection as some of the other boots I considered, but I do a lot of things during the day other than ride, and having comfortable shoes that let provide some measure of protection was important to me.

• Premium Member
For the past 13 years and 90K+ miles I've worn this pair of Alpinestars Web Goretex boots:

2016-07-16%2015.53.31cropped.jpg
As you can see I don't take very good care of their appearance, but they are still fully waterproof and reasonably comfortable walking. I wear them all day at work, since I commute on the FJ.
The only real functional issue is the velcro closure at the top on the right boot. It has lost almost all its holding strength so it always comes undone within a few minutes of fastening it. I need to get the velcro replaced I guess!
However I am also thinking about new boots, which is what led me to this thread in the first place. The Dainese TRQ boots look great, although the Daytona Roadstar GTX have also caught my attention. I appreciate all the input and reviews from the other members of this forum.
Pete
  • Thumbsup 1

For the past 13 years and 90K+ miles I've worn this pair of Alpinestars Web Goretex boots: 

2016-07-16%2015.53.31cropped.jpg

I have the same pair of boots, but they became so soft with no ankle support I quit wearing them. Now use Alipine Stars SMX5 WP. 

Keep Asheville weird!

I considered the Daytona Roadstar before getting the TRQ Tour. Without local examples to examine my impression was the Daytona was going to be the bigger boot. After having shifter fit issues with a very large boot (A* Toucan, and yes, I know you can adjust the shifter) I decided to go with what appeared to be the smaller boot. Therefore I have no direct experience with the Daytona.

I have been very happy with the TRQ Tour Goretex, but I have found when the temperature gets into the mid 90s the plastic patch on the front that serves as a protector from the shifter gets quite hot in direct sunlight. I thought I was somehow touching some of the exhaust! I will definitely need to find another pair of boots for seriously hot weather. Also, I find the boots not so great to walk in. Not an issue for me, but might be for others.

• 2 weeks later...
summer casual shoe: dainese motorshoe air
winter short boot: Dainese SSC Alpha D-WP
touring boot: dainese TRQ GORETEX
trackday boot/twisties: Dainese Torque Out D1 (2016)

MODS: custom remapped 133 wheel power by T.R.E. / K&P WORKSHOP,  WOOLICH RACING + race tools package, reprofiled cams,  ported cylinder head,  higher compression, bored throttle bodies, ape cam tensioner,  OHLINS FGK237 cartridge & YA 535,  GPR V4, SKF Fork seals,  BREMBO RCS 19 Corta Rossa with SC pads, HEALTECH shift light PRO, AKRAPOVIC racing carbon exhaust, slipper clutch + Barnett clutch springs, JT Sprockets + JVMX 525 black 112 links chain, oil temp gauge drain plug, air filter DNA + Modded airbox, PIRELLI ROSSO CORSA II, YAMAHA LED plus blinkers, antitheft alarm scorpio 900i + perimeter sensor + kill engine module, CELLULAR INTERPHONE led slim fog lights with yamaha oem mounting bracket, YAMAHA heated grips and more....

• 3 months later...
I like the short Daytona boots made in Germany. Very popular in Europe and to me the best boots on sale. Sadly sold at silly prices in the UK so best to buy them in their home country. The short style fit better than any long boot. My rugby player calf muscles make wearing long boots difficult and I always have to have my trousers on the outside. I also need a very wide fitting and the short boot give easier access.  
I wear the Daytona Rainbow in summer. I've worn these all day in the office when commuting by bike.

Daytona-rainbow-gtx.jpg

In winter I wear similar Daytona Journey which are a bit wider so I can get 3 pairs of socks on if needed.

daytona-Journey_XCR-rechts.jpg

Both boots are goretex lined and have been completely waterproof. Both pairs were bought secondhand from the UKGSer forum for £60 a pair. If needed they can be sent back to Germany to be refurbished.

I need these boots. I would happily pay 200 Euros for them but I'm less happy to pay 200 Euros plus shipping to the US west coast for size 14 because who even knows size that is Euro numbers and for sure I'll have to send the first pair or two back and all of sudden my 200 euro boots are now 500 euro boots after all the restocking and shipping fees. 
Do they sell these boots in the US? If not is there something similar?

I need a pair of low-profile riding boots that can be worn in a business casual environment and are comfortable to wear for a few hours at work.  It'd also be nice if they kept my ankle attached to my foot should it get stuck under something. Outside of those paltry requirements, I don't need them to be waterproof, shockproof, fireproof, frostproof, heated, made of kevlar, lined with kangaroo balls, or whatever other ridiculous marketing gimmicks they use to sell $100 shoes for three times the price.  I feel like it should not be this difficult to find a pair of boots that fit my needs. . . 

Sidi canyon carvers boots...I em use em for riding quads around or riding my wr250f on the trails, they are really well built boots and the online pictures don't show you how sturdy these boots are in the ankle or toe tips, even the shin area ...they are sized 1 sized bigger than stated...if you normally wear 12 get an 11... Only thing I did was add a pair of insoles...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp