Travel luggage advise

Thank you all for the suggestions and my apologies for not checking in on the thread for two days. Been busy with preparations. 😅

8/10/2021 at 1:06 AM, ShedMoto said:

Silly question: Why are you not supposed to bring the top case + the side panniers?

On 8/10/2021 at 2:09 AM, TomTracer said:

And, who says you cant bring them! Phooey to that

As others have said, Yamaha doesn't allow it. The aluminum subframe is not built for it. On the new Tracer 9 that is taken care of if I'm not mistaken.

On 8/10/2021 at 1:58 AM, betoney said:

One other recommendation is pack enough clothes for 3-4 days and do laundry on the 4th evening instead of bringing 14 days worth of clothes. 

On 8/10/2021 at 5:43 AM, PhotoAl said:

That in addition to a Michelin Pilot Power 5 front and a Road 5 rear worked well.

😎 I'm just typing this after installing the front Road 5, now on to the rear.

On 8/10/2021 at 5:43 AM, PhotoAl said:

I rode thru several rain storms ranging from a steady moderate rainfall to an intense thunderstorm that had folks around me slowing to 25mph and turning their flashers on.  Thru all the rain not a drop of water in the cases.

15 hours ago, Kevin30 said:

Keep the heavier stuff in your sidecases and use the topcase for clothes, raingear, gloves maybe some food and thats it. You wont know its there

15 hours ago, Skidood said:

Yamaha side cases do not leak, they are waterproof, just make sure they are not so over-stuffed ,

That is great to hear!

On 8/11/2021 at 10:23 AM, BBB said:

@petshark, this guy is a road tester so rides a lot and is probably at the minimal end of packing, but offers good tips. See around 12 minutes in for specific packing advice.

👍 I know old Neevesy of course. I had seen this video, lot's of useful info for sure.

On 8/10/2021 at 8:11 PM, knyte said:

For everything else - laptop, extra shoes, rain gear, first aid kit, half-cover, etc - the bulky things - that all fits into an 80l Givi waterproof roll bag bungied to the rear seat (along with a tent / chair if I'm taking them).  A top box seems unnecessary, and the rollie is certainly cheaper.  With this, I can make it from bike to hotel room in one trip (although two is better).

The rollie is more expensive to me because I already own the topbox, otherwise I might go with your advice. It sure is easier for carrying stuff to the room but I hope the packing cubes will also make this less of a pain. 

14 hours ago, PeterL said:

And just from my own experience, adding a canister of helium to your luggage does NOT help reduce the weight. Hardly seems fair... 😉

Not in liquid form but try filling the empty space in those waterproof cases. Thank should work!
Then take a deep breath when opening them and make some friends on the parking lot. 🥳

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

Loaded for the road.  Tank bag has odds and ends that are constantly changing. Side cases have maintenance stuff and extra clothes (for an anticipated changes hot or cold)  they are pretty lightly packed.

Dry bag has a couple changes of clothes and sometimes a tablet.

Tiny lockable camera style box on the back is for paper maps (I've had gps fail, paper maps are always there) and I leave enough room to lock up the gps in it.

Unless I'm in a sketchy area I leave the box and side cases on the bike and and take the drybag and tank bag into where I'm staying overnight. If I'm going to be somewhere for a couple nights/days I will take the side cases off.   YMMV

20201021_121829.jpg

• Thumbsup 5

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

One more thought, if you are thinking of a roll top bag, but are put off by the price of Givi stuff. Lomo made bags for canoeing and have now branched out into motorbike stuff. Cheap and fully waterproof. Available on Amazon too.

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/dry-bag-holdalls-60L.html#SID=83

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

2 minutes ago, BBB said:

One more thought, if you are thinking of a roll top bag, but are put off by the price of Givi stuff. Lomo made bags for canoeing and have now branched out into motorbike stuff. Cheap and fully waterproof. Available on Amazon too.

Or the 50L drybags from Aldi - only £9.99

https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-50l-dry-duffle-bag/p/098140290152700

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BBB said:

For those in the US I have a similar bag.  Don't think Amazon has it any more but similar to the one below.  Its been with me for for 3 years and over 30,000 miles of trips.  It's seen rain at 34F and sunshine at 105F and everything in between and is still in great shape.  No leaks and it is usually filled to max or a bit more with stuff.  Only caution I take with it is make sure stuff that touches the sides and bottom is not sharp.  I have the yellow just for visibility.

https://www.amazon.com/Gonex-Waterproof-Durable-Kayaking-Adventure/dp/B07MQT45L4/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=A3GJ9ZJ9AQUK&dchild=1&keywords=waterproof%2Bduffle%2Bbag%2Bcamping&qid=1628978409&sprefix=waterproof%2Bduffle%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-1-spons&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyV0lFVElaNUJRWE5MJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNjU4NDc1MUY2RExBSFpaWkU2MSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwOTczNDE2RFcxNk5OM0JXRFRDJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1&psc=1

• Thumbsup 2

I've only been on one week long trip on my Tracer. This was a trip with all necessary camping and cooking supplies.

I loaded it up with the side bags, 39L top case, and a large Tourmaster sissy bar bag that doubled as a back rest.

I just kept it in power mode B and traction control 2 and drove it like I had a fully loaded bike.

No issues.

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 4

On 8/13/2021 at 8:41 AM, angrygirafe said:

The last multi day trip I went on I had top case, side cases, and the wife on the back. It’ll be fine 🙂

On that trip, full loaded, how did the bike perform? Suspension? Power?

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

I've been on a few longish trips (6 days or so) and will be going again on the 4th September. Usually I'll be fully loaded: 2 up, side cases and 50L top case. I'll be at the manual's load limit (possibly very slightly over). Front forks full preload (no lines showing) and back shock full preload as well. The bike handles well and I never had an issue. It will be a bit top heavy, but what can I expect 🙂 ?

For me, anything up to a week can be done in a single pannier (though I use two because of course I do):

Vacuum packing is the best.  Large ziplock bags for your clothes.  Fold them up and stick them in the bag, then sit on the bag to get the air out.  You end up with clothes that take practically no space at all, AND that are definitely going to stay dry. 

I rarely worry about things being stolen off my bike, but my rule of thumb is storage comes into the hotel - I'm not risking having my clothes stolen by someone hoping to get something good from grabbing bags; kind of a fear that bike + bags at a hotel is increasing risk to someone stealing the whole works, or just the bags, either way.  Also, it's handy to have your stuff with you.  

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

I rarely worry about things being stolen off my bike, but my rule of thumb is storage comes into the hotel - I'm not risking having my clothes stolen by someone hoping to get something good from grabbing bags; kind of a fear that bike + bags at a hotel is increasing risk to someone stealing the whole works, or just the bags, either way.  Also, it's handy to have your stuff with you.  

Ditto. I leave stuff on my bike all the time. Especially at places where bikers hang out and nothing has ever been touched. Forgot my phone on the seat (back when samsung S10+ was the $hit) came back 40 minutes later and it was still there.

Quite a few hotels here in the USA will let you park a motorcycle or 2 up under or close to the entry overhang where they can keep an eye on it as long as you don't block anything. 

It has been my experience that Hampton Inn has been very accepting of this. It's usually just me or me and one other. If you show with half a dozen of your friends, maybe not. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Thumbsup 4

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

5 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

Quite a few hotels here in the USA will let you park a motorcycle or 2 up under or close to the entry overhang where they can keep an eye on it as long as you don't block anything. 

It has been my experience that Hampton Inn has been very accepting of this. It's usually just me or me and one other. If you show with half a dozen of your friends, maybe not. 🤷‍♂️ 

Had a motel in Tipton GA tell me to just leave it under the overhang at the front out of the way.  LOL was the last to arrive that night, walked into the lobby very wet and the lady at the desk greeted me by name!  She figured it was me as my wife had called a couple of times to let her know I was still on my way and when I walked in wet and just off a bike she had a pretty good idea it who I was.

Some of the worst weather I've ever ridden in and at night!  Pulled into a deserted gas station and sat on my bike equidistance between the two gas pump islands under the canopy to wait out the lightning.  Bike on side stand and my feet on the bike in case lightning ran across the ground.  Oh what fun turning left but leaning right due to the wind!  As usual met some nice folks along the way like the sherif's deputy I met at the gas station a little further on.  Stopped to get a coke and see if I could dry out a bit.  He was a character as only could exist in south Georgia.  Friendly and about 70 but probably tough as nails.  Told me all his ex wives were housekeepers 🙂  I've met lots of friendly folks all over the country on bike trips.  That time I was on my Kawasaki ZX6R 636 with a small duffle and textile side cases headed to Sarasota.

• Thumbsup 2

On 8/19/2021 at 6:22 AM, Grumpy Goat said:

On that trip, full loaded, how did the bike perform? Suspension? Power?

It did just fine. I didn’t hammer it as hard as I would have on a solo day trip, but at no point did it feel like the bike was holding me back. I went a bit slower in the sharp corners so as to keep the wife happy, but acceleration even uphill was still great. 

• Thumbsup 4