What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
35 minutes ago, BBB said:

My clip on screen spoiler decided to shed a fixing today. Good job I carry a cargo net under the seat. @betoney, it was the type you posted a while ago. Brilliant little additional hooks on the main hooks which allow you to tension the net to grab awkward shapes well.

20200621_123725.jpg

Glad to hear that it worked out well for you.  I also carry a small, maybe 12"x18" mesh bag for smaller items that can slip through the net openings. 

Sporti Mesh Bag

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

17 hours ago, betoney said:

I have always avoided going to Canada to ride because the police are well known for being overly militant on speed enforcement, is that not the case anymore?  I have several friends and family members who have been pulled over and ticketed for just 2-5mph over the posted limit, in cars and on bikes.  They were also warned that 15 over will result in their vehicle being impounded.  Is that because they are U.S. residents?  or is that the same with locals as well? 

(all speeds in KPH)

I've never had an issue.  Hell, I was stopped for doing >200kph in an 80 zone (which, tbf, was certainly a legit stop) and just got a warning.  

In BC in particular, however, at 40kph (24 and change mph) over the limit they can impound your vehicle.  That's BC specific, however, so here in Alberta that's not a risk.  People pretty much always drive at ~10kph over the limit, and it's extremely rare though technically possible to be stopped at that speed.  I mean, I've been riding at excessive speeds for decades, and basically always driving at ~10-20 over, and haven't seen a speeding ticket since I was a teenager.  It's no different than speeding in Montana or Idaho(where I've a lot of experience riding, and have had friends get tickets in while riding with me), in my experience anyways.  

Even at 5mph (8kph) over the limit, it'd be extraordinarily unusual to get a speeding ticket.  In fact, most speedometers are out by more than that margin (virtually all are 10kph over at 120kph shown = 110 actual - I always recommend people compare a gps based speedo with their car/bike) but even if not... They're really not militant at all.

With that being said, like basically anywhere, it depends on exactly where you are (maybe a high accident area they're targetting to enforce speed limits?), the cop you get, how his day is going, how you react to him, the position of the stars, whatever else. 

I mean, though, if you do get a ticket....  is it a problem?  I know a few of our guys have gotten speeding tickets in the US, and as long as you don't have a speeding ticket in the state you want to enter the US in, you can basically just ignore them. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, piotrek said:

I am guessing that in your case 'Canada' means BC or AB. It probably depends on jurisdiction, time of year/week and individual officer (they are people too). I suspect that you'd have to do well in excess of 15mph (24kph) over the posted limit, with some aggressive foolishness for your vehicle to be impounded. On most rural roads in Ontario, 20kph over would be a pass... 30kph you're taking a chance (ticket or a good chat). I ride in nearby states now again, and try to stick to local laws as possible. I am a guest flying a maple leaf on back of my bike, so tearing through a sleepy village isn't a great idea.

Also find that whenever people tell stories about being pulled over for speeding... it's always 5kph over, and never 30kph... 😜.

I mean, it's possible, but I'm HIGHLY dubious about getting pulled over at 2mph over.  I'd suspect either a bit of an exaggeration on speed, or maybe a poor mph-kph conversion.  Even in a school zone(30kph), doing 33kph just isn't going to get you a second look.  

In AB, getting your vehicle impounded is possible, but you'd have to be doing something way worse than 20 or so over - the cop who stopped me (mentioned in previous post) said that was basically his options: Warn me, or impound my bike+suspend my license for 30 days+garaunteed court date and possible jail time (As I have a clean record, there's basically zero chance of that, but the court date for sure would happen, it's mandatory for that) 

BC is different, though, it's just 40 over and they can, but not necessarily will, impound your vehicle.  Still, BC is very large, and on back highways speedtraps are not just unheard of they're basically impossible due to a lack of room.   You're really only likely to see a cop going the other way, and he's not going to get a good read on speed in the half a second you ride past him.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

The last time I was pulled over in BC, it was a Mountie between Banff and Golden.  I forget how fast he clocked me at, but he let me go and said, if you set cruise for about 9 km/h over the limit, you probably won't get a ticket.

So, if I want to zone out a bit, or am otherwise in a populated area - I've been doing just that ever since.  9 or 10 over for 20+ years since that warning and never a ticket.  Even photo radar intersections here in Edmonton have a tolerance..I"ve set cruise for anything less than 5 km/h over the limit - no ticket yet.  Same with the photo buggies.

• Thumbsup 3

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

Also - cleaned / oiled the chain today, and installed the Evotech rad guard that came in the mail recently...

9d83394273a7ecd52e47ba53296fadb7_600x600

Evotech Performance Aluminium Radiator Guard '15-'19 Yamaha FJ-09 /...

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

installed my new v-stream touring windscreen today! i also re-installed my beak. i had to dremel out a slot for the crashbars into the beak in order for everything to fit.

IMG_20200622_163424.jpg

IMG_20200622_163439.jpg

IMG_20200622_163458.jpg

IMG_20200622_163514.jpg

IMG_20200622_163535.jpg

still plenty of room at full lock with the larger handguards with bar risers.

i still get just a bit of turbulent air on the top of my helmet @ 6'1", so i ordered one of these for it as well. windscreen spoiler

Edited by trevinator
  • Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, trevinator said:

IMG_20200622_163514.jpg

With the trail oriented tires and skid plate how does it handle on dirt roads?

I was up in a National Forest last week and rode a short distance on gravel roads through camping areas.  The bike handled ok at slow speeds with street tires but the suspension settings I have for the street killed me on even modest pot holes.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 minute ago, betoney said:

With the trail oriented tires and skid plate how does it handle on dirt roads?

I was up in a National Forest last week and rode a short distance on gravel roads through camping areas.  The bike handled ok at slow speeds with street tires but the suspension settings I have for the street killed me on even modest pot holes.

its not bad, but she's no dirt bike. it doesnt feel like it will wash out at 5 degrees of lean angle like my versys did with street tires, but i have not pushed the fj to hard either. i wouldnt be scared to take this setup down some atv trails as far as grip goes, its just the ground clearance that has me worried.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
On 6/21/2020 at 12:52 PM, hlmiskelly said:

My wife suggested I needed a break from work (and perhaps away from the house for a while), so this past Thursday I took a way off work and road up into the southeastern Tennessee mountains with stops at Sewanee and Chattanooga.  All together, a nice combination of curves - going out - and high speed straightaways - coming home.  Five hour ride round trip in perfect weather.

IMG_20200618_113020747_HDR~2.jpg

Nice fastest RED 15, I have mine set up very similar.  Can't tell whose case guards you have,  I have the Givi's and Pyramid clear PC headlight protectors and the rubber pegs too.  But whose hand guards are those, the look ginormous, BarkBusters?  I have the usual KTM Adventurer units.

• Premium Member
On 6/21/2020 at 4:05 PM, BBB said:

My clip on screen spoiler decided to shed a fixing today. Good job I carry a cargo net under the seat. @betoney, it was the type you posted a while ago. Brilliant little additional hooks on the main hooks which allow you to tension the net to grab awkward shapes well.

20200621_123725.jpg

Was your spoiler a MRW ebay clone?

• Premium Member
19 hours ago, knyte said:

Also - cleaned / oiled the chain today, and installed the Evotech rad guard that came in the mail recently...

9d83394273a7ecd52e47ba53296fadb7_600x600

Evotech Performance Aluminium Radiator Guard '15-'19 Yamaha FJ-09 /...

They're real nice, fit great and are light but still have saved my rad more than once!

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, kilo3 said:

<snip>

50033158976_d78481c731_c.jpg

Looks sharp!

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

They're real nice, fit great and are light but still have saved my rad more than once!

Thanks; yes, I'm glad for the advice here.  The cheapies seem like they rattle a lot and don't cover the rad tanks on the side like this one does.

• Thumbsup 1