What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

3 hours ago, betoney said:

I recently switched to a small flyscreen and cant believe how much I enjoy it, even at 80-85 mph on the interstate.

What flyscreen?  Was it you who made your own, or did you buy one?  I've never had an issue with naked bikes and no windscreens at all, and while I appreciate the Tracer's windscreen when it's super buggy out, pouring rain or snowing but, it's kind of useless as an actual windscreen for a 6'4" guy, and I'm not really interested in investing in a barn door.  I'd like a smaller basically-cosmetic windscreen for normal summer riding. 

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

What flyscreen?  Was it you who made your own, or did you buy one?  I've never had an issue with naked bikes and no windscreens at all, and while I appreciate the Tracer's windscreen when it's super buggy out, pouring rain or snowing but, it's kind of useless as an actual windscreen for a 6'4" guy, and I'm not really interested in investing in a barn door.  I'd like a smaller basically-cosmetic windscreen for normal summer riding. 

This photo is in the highest position for the example of height.

image.thumb.png.8abd7c5c4b2ecc40f0497582c770677e.png

• Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I've got a CalSci tinted shorty on mine. Looks good, functions well.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, tktplz said:

I use this, works well and it's cheap too!

s-l400.jpg

The windshield can protect motorcycle enthusiasts from the...

IMG_6648.thumb.JPG.e5b02dacd0bd03da30e55fe94ebacef2.JPG

I have the same "bikini" screen also for my fastest RED 15...but I extend it out with 1" spacers.

Did my 600 mile oil and filter change myself

Both Yamaha dealers wanted $350. I figure much of that cost would be labor to synch fuel injectors. The engine is running fine and I won't have it done now . Every 4000 miles? No way mr. Yamaha! They must have used a power tool to install the oil filter

I resorted to using a giant channel lock pliers to get it off

.Overall I am very happy with my base tracer900

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Good for you.  It could not be easier to change the oil n filter on any motorcycle.  And no wrestling with the center stand to extract the filter. Easy!  (don't over tighten that filter!)

If only the spark plugs were as easy.  :(

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

14 hours ago, koth442 said:

I've got a CalSci tinted shorty on mine. Looks good, functions well.

Oh, hey, they've got a nice heated seat pad in there too, as well as windshields for the Tracer (which is apparently *not* the same mounting as the FJ).  Thanks for that!

2 hours ago, jamespansbro@yahoo said:

Both Yamaha dealers wanted $350. I figure much of that cost would be labor to synch fuel injectors. The engine is running fine and I won't have it done now . Every 4000 miles? No way mr. Yamaha! They must have used a power tool to install the oil filter

Yup.  Every Yamaha I've owned, the oil filter you get with it new is torqued on insanely hard.  I've never managed to remove one without utterly destroying it in the process.  Either channel lock pliers or a hammer and screwdriver.... or all of the above.   

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, jamespansbro@yahoo said:

Both Yamaha dealers wanted $350. I figure much of that cost would be labor to synch fuel injectors.

Yep, and most of that labor is removing and reinstalling the bodywork. That takes longer than the actual TB sync.

If the bike is running fine I agree, skip it. But if you notice an increase in vibration it's probably time to sync. It's not hard to do if you have a gauge. There are some good how-to's in this forum.

• Thumbsup 2

19 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I have the same "bikini" screen also for my fastest RED 15...but I extend it out with 1" spacers.

Mine is extended out a bit too. Not sure how far. I put on a piece to mount my RAM Mount for my GPS. IMG_6624.thumb.JPG.55ced748c3366ebe2e1cf0bba105d3bc.JPGIMG_6618.thumb.JPG.6a50098bbf827c4d090f3851c41c748e.JPG

I got it here;

s-l400.jpg

Fits Tracer 900 2015-2016-2017. This holder can be installed with...

Works well. Only thing is the lower part of my GPS covers my blinker lights on the top of the speedo. My friends are constantly grabbing their blinkers to tell me to turn mine off. Why couldn't Yamaha use the auto turn off that came on the 1st Gen VMaxes? Now that was a nice feature. It made me not cancel my blinkers for years and now I have to retrain myself, LOL! I got used to the cowel cover Yamaha made for the 1st Gen VMaxes so this small fairing works great to me. I have a Power Bronze Touring sheild that the 1st owner gave me with the bike. I put it on and couldn't stand the top of it moving in the wind just under my vision. Very distracting!!! In clean air is where it's at. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

17 hours ago, jamespansbro@yahoo said:

Synching the throttle bodies is super easy on a tracer. You should get the synch gauge. You just have to remove all the body work and fuel tank yourself. That's the hard part. I bought this one but there are other brands out there. Lots of how to videos too.

$_62.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Find great deals for CARBTUNE PRO 4 COLUMN CARBURETOR...

• Like 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, tktplz said:

Mine is extended out a bit too. Not sure how far. I put on a piece to mount my RAM Mount for my GPS. IMG_6624.thumb.JPG.55ced748c3366ebe2e1cf0bba105d3bc.JPGIMG_6618.thumb.JPG.6a50098bbf827c4d090f3851c41c748e.JPG

I got it here;

s-l400.jpg

Fits Tracer 900 2015-2016-2017. This holder can be installed with...

Works well. Only thing is the lower part of my GPS covers my blinker lights on the top of the speedo. My friends are constantly grabbing their blinkers to tell me to turn mine off. Why couldn't Yamaha use the auto turn off that came on the 1st Gen VMaxes? Now that was a nice feature. It made me not cancel my blinkers for years and now I have to retrain myself, LOL! I got used to the cowel cover Yamaha made for the 1st Gen VMaxes so this small fairing works great to me. I have a Power Bronze Touring sheild that the 1st owner gave me with the bike. I put it on and couldn't stand the top of it moving in the wind just under my vision. Very distracting!!! In clean air is where it's at. 

I have a mounting track that takes the standard Ram track ball mounts and it'll handle up to three devices for its width

I have a phone mount on the top left fire Riser bolt with a double jointed arm between the ball mount and the X grip phone saddle

Works out well I usually just run a radar detector and use my phone as my GPS because I'm relatively short-range in my rides

20200517_170516.jpg

20200517_170505.jpg

20200517_170527.jpg

20200318_164752.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, rodb47 said:

Synching the throttle bodies is super easy on a tracer. You should get the synch gauge. You just have to remove all the body work and fuel tank yourself. That's the hard part. I bought this one but there are other brands out there. Lots of how to videos too.

If you look at my past posts with suncoaster regarding Plumbing remote vacuum lines to each throttle body and running them out the left front frame opening and making them accessible so you can check TBS sync without touching a thing

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Oh, hey, they've got a nice heated seat pad in there too, as well as windshields for the Tracer (which is apparently *not* the same mounting as the FJ).  Thanks for that!

Yup.  Every Yamaha I've owned, the oil filter you get with it new is torqued on insanely hard.  I've never managed to remove one without utterly destroying it in the process.  Either channel lock pliers or a hammer and screwdriver.... or all of the above.   

Warm and safe is offering a really nice heated pad that draws low amps for about a hundred bucks I'm considering

Plus one on the original OEM oil filter I don't get it I think they're robots have to be recalibrated

5 hours ago, rodb47 said:

+1 on the carbtune!

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!