What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Warchild said:

Yesterday was a major milestone day - had Warchild-wife on the back of the Tracer for the first time since her spine surgery last September!   🔥🔥🔥 The destination was one of the many hundreds of RTE (Ride-to-Eat) locations that is part of another Long Distance-oriented self-paced tours called "RTExUSA" ==> "Ride To Eat across the USA": Hale's Tavern located in Hermiston, Oregon:

AnnieHalesTaverncloseup.thumb.jpg.ae6bff134010500c21bed54d9420abac.jpg

HalesTavern.thumb.jpg.00dad8e5cf7438f048c9b1af77d55fce.jpg

They have some rather sizable portions in their meals:

AnnieHalesTavernFood.thumb.jpg.a1dd7c7d8544236e89afbaf471150f66.jpg

They have a menu that's a small book:

HalesBeer.thumb.jpg.13dceb958a7030797c91665d77b9634a.jpg

Did I mention they have sizable food portions?  😮

hamandeggs.thumb.jpg.32b00fd53c951aa2084c1e2606d6732e.jpg

On the way home, the Tracer's odometer passed 16,000 miles, I guess I have that Servicing to do now, along with finally installing that Yoshimura full system I scored a few months back. Also taking this time to replace the OEM chain/sprockets pre-emptively now, instead of waiting till July/Aug, when the chain gives it up and will no longer maintain its proper slack.  🙄

I absolutely LOVE a fine ham steak!!!

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

3 bikes and 3 different food destinations. Love it! 👍🏻

This might explain why my attempt to lose some weight has only been marginally effective… 🤷‍♂️ 

But this is one of those deals where ‘getting there’ is the real reward.  I’m a lucky guy 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Oh, that looks amazing.  Absolutely.  

My plan is to cover just the upper surface of those parts with a clear PPF vinyl as they're both high wear areas (tank with my knees, front panels with crap off the road) - that would ensure there's no peeling of blocks.

PPF is a great idea! 

• Supporting Member
On 2/5/2023 at 12:18 PM, Clegg78 said:

What is everyone using?

Anything aluminum safe!

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

In prep to do a lot of work on the bike (Chain, Sprockets, Air filter, Plugs, Coolant, Valve check/Adjustment, Oil/Filter) and a few other things like lubricating various parts... I took my PDF of the service manual and sent it over to FedEx office to be printed, bound and then I tagged the chapters.  I've found printed manuals FAR better when doing the actual work than going to a laptop or iPad for the info. 

Expensive though, since the manual is damn huge, $100 to get the manual done this way (its 300+ pages long, double sided!) yes,I know there are cheaper options on Ebay in 3 Ring binders, or printing it myself and binding it... I've found this to just be easier and I am busy. 

For coolant I just grabbed some of the Honda Motorcycle coolant, the local shop had a bunch of it and I know it's safe for these engines.  Kept the stock gearing as I like it for the new sprockets.  Keeping the OEM stock filters and not going to one of the fancy K&N style ones... the hassle of opening the bike to swap a filter, I'll just keep swapping the stock ones.

Screenshot 2023-02-09 095554.jpg

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 2

Yamahapubs will sell bound, color versions that.  Not a cost savings, but it gets you a nice, pretty, bound version. 

https://yamahapubs.com/home/search?category_id=3&year=2019&family_name=TRACER+900+GT

There's also ebay ones printed in color and nicely book bound for $80ish - I've got these for both my Tracer and Tenere.  That's a bit more of a PITA to sort through though. 

• Thumbsup 1

16 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Yamahapubs will sell bound, color versions that.  Not a cost savings, but it gets you a nice, pretty, bound version. 

https://yamahapubs.com/home/search?category_id=3&year=2019&family_name=TRACER+900+GT

There's also ebay ones printed in color and nicely book bound for $80ish - I've got these for both my Tracer and Tenere.  That's a bit more of a PITA to sort through though. 

The funny thing about "color" is that the only color part of the manual in PDF form (from Yamaha!) is the cover :) 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

Not quite true.... at the beginning of a section with a diagram denoting disassembly of items, the items are numbered in red and the torque values highlighted in yellow..... starting with the Chassis section.  The wiring diagram is also in colour.

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

The funny thing about "color" is that the only color part of the manual in PDF form (from Yamaha!) is the cover :) 

The electrical wiring diagram is also in color.   It should be in the pdf too, I think.  That's pretty important to have in color otherwise it's largely useless.

• Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

The electrical wiring diagram is also in color.   It should be in the pdf too, I think.  That's pretty important to have in color otherwise it's largely useless.

ahh yeah 2 pages at the back are color, I have those printed out already.... I will say the quality of the graphic in the Yamaha PDF is lacking compared to other MFGs, but it works I guess.

I did a bit of weigh reduction on the bike today :)   Biggest PITA was draining the tank a bit, it was full and I didn't want to deal with moving it around like that...  and my gas pump failed so there was a bit of a mess using a vacuum pump to start a siphon.     Tomorrow, I drain the coolant, and remove the radiator (since I am doing the valves and coolant no reason to keep the radiator strapped to the front for the whole ordeal. ), and start checking valves, and doing the plugs. 

A minor PITA, but the Givi crash bars block the opening to turn the engine over for the valve job. 

2023-02-11_16-49-38.jpg

Edited by Clegg78

On 2/10/2023 at 4:49 PM, RaYzerman said:

Not quite true.... at the beginning of a section with a diagram denoting disassembly of items, the items are numbered in red and the torque values highlighted in yellow..... starting with the Chassis section.  The wiring diagram is also in colour.

ahh yeah I guess there are some highlights, I was looking at the manual a bit on a Kindle last time I did work and ... that was all Black and white, so I never really noticed.   I can highlight those sections... with my imagination I guess :) 

On 2/10/2023 at 11:04 PM, Rick123 said:

Surprisingly fast got the luggage rack and skid plate for my 2019. Luggage rack installed. Skid plate and Givi top case mounting plate waiting for tomorrow.

Givi mounting plate and Givi E460 installed too. Working on Oxford heated grips and skid plate…