What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Supporting Member
Sometimes even the simplest jobs require a bit of creative improvising. I put the new FZ9 bar end weights on my FJ yesterday, in what should have been less than a five minute task. But, the original inserts for the stock hand guards require a 12mm hex drive to remove, which I surprisingly don’t have in the toolbox.

Not to worry... if you don’t have proper tools, just make your own, right? Apologies to professional mechanics everywhere, but this setup worked just fine:

73729030addbd2217161ca9b9df76419.jpg

d90bade6af454e7c4db4d30fd767952a.jpg

• Supporting Member
@texscottyd Clever, good job.

Enjoy the ride w/o the batwings. If I remember correctly, dont the hand guards add a combined 5"-6" width?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

...Yamaha helmet lock that I rekeyed to the ignition switch key... 
What do you use to re-key it? I was told that I wasn't able to so I've been carrying an extra key around...

Dissasemble lock, insert ignition key into lock, use a dremel tool to grind down any tumblers that are protruding from the lock barrel, smooth grinding marks with emory cloth, reassemble and enjoy.

• Supporting Member
@betoney - I’ll have to measure the difference to get an accurate number, but it certainly feels much narrower. The FZ9 bar ends add back a bit of the total width, but overall I really like the feeling - and the look - without the hand guards. It’s just a mental trick, but the bike feels lighter and more responsive without the ‘batwings’ In place.

One thing that is absolutely noticeable is a change in high speed stability. From the day it was new, my bike had a minor low frequency oscillation - I would never have called it a speed wobble - at speeds around 110 - 115 mph (professional rider, closed course, don’t try this at home, blah, blah, blah...). The new suspension muted it significantly, but it was still definitely there... not dangerous, not troubling, but noticeable. In the back of my mind, I always thought with was likely an aero issue, presumably since I have the saddle bags on the bike 100% of the time. Well, I can happily report that removing the factory handguards completely cleared up the oscillation issue. I covered over a mile yesterday laid out on the speed governor (don’t judge me) with zero stability concerns. Who would have guessed?

And ‘yes’ I’ve already purchased the ECU reflash from 2WDW, but still need to ship it off to get the work done. :)

• Supporting Member
Well, I can happily report that removing the factory handguards completely cleared up the oscillation issue. I covered over a mile yesterday laid out on the speed governor (don’t judge me) with zero stability concerns. Who would have guessed?  
And ‘yes’ I’ve already purchased the ECU reflash from 2WDW, but still need to ship it off to get the work done. smiley.png

Thats awesome news.  Something so insignificant can have a drastic impact. 

After the ECU flash you'll have to do another "stability trial", just to be certain.  ;)

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Sometimes even the simplest jobs require a bit of creative improvising. I put the new FZ9 bar end weights on my FJ yesterday, in what should have been less than a five minute task. But, the original inserts for the stock hand guards require a 12mm hex drive to remove, with I surprisingly don’t have in the toolbox.  
Not to worry... if you don’t have proper tools, just make your own, right? Apologies to professional mechanics everywhere, but this setup worked just fine:

Speaking of oddly sized hex's on this bike.. The front axle is a 14mm hex. I tried the same trick to no avail. I ended up ordering the set linked below. Has 12 & 14mm hex. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007UQLQQ4/

'15 FJ09

Sometimes even the simplest jobs require a bit of creative improvising. I put the new FZ9 bar end weights on my FJ yesterday, in what should have been less than a five minute task. But, the original inserts for the stock hand guards require a 12mm hex drive to remove, with I surprisingly don’t have in the toolbox.  

Speaking of oddly sized hex's on this bike.. The front axle is a 14mm hex. I tried the same trick to no avail. I ended up ordering the set linked below. Has 12 & 14mm hex. 

If I had a nickel for every time I've done the double-nut thing in the last 50 years, I could probably buy that set from Amazon. 
The last few times I've gone Redneck High Tech and welded the nuts...

If I had a nickel for every time I've done the double-nut thing in the last 50 years, I could probably buy that set from Amazon. 
The last few times I've gone Redneck High Tech and welded the nuts...
fetools.jpg 
Just for grins, some "field expedient" tools that I've found so handy, I kept them:

(Left)  14mm "Hex Wrench" when doing the suspension on the FJ

(Center/Top)  14mm to 7/8" spark plug adapter to connect my compression tester to an old Farmall tractor

(Right)  17mm "Hex Wrench" when doing the suspension on my old XS650

• Supporting Member
@phpaul - Nice! It’s almost like we need a separate thread dedicated to ‘Creative Tools & Clever Improvised Solutions’

I think we’ve all done it a time or two.

I went and did a fast 287 mile loop exploring some new to me roads. One of them was FANTASTIC. But rank with people heading to the river. Had a Dodge Ram towing a boat cook a sharp corner and come into my lane. It wasn't close or anything, just enough for me to cuss at him in my helmet. Overall ride was excellent!

'15 FJ09

I promised these pictures to another forum member weeks ago, and finally remembered to take them. An FJ with Givi E21 bags.

IMG_1909.jpg

IMG_1911.jpg

For those that have E21 bags, do you feel the space in the lids is not very useful? I did, but over the winter, I took care of this issue. I made a door to close of the lid and store my rainsuit in the lid. I took a piece of cardboard and made a pattern. I cut the pattern out of a piece of luan paneling. Painted it and attached it with some plastic conduit clamps. The "springyness of the clamps holds the lid in place. I also mounted some snaps to hold a small bag with a microfiber towel.

IMG_1912.jpg

The clamp used to hold the lid closed

IMG_1913.jpg

The clamp used as a hinge

IMG_1914.jpg

https://fj-09.org/post/79322... adding to my post... most of the day I was running with the only other bike which was an older EBR 1098(?)-fairings were primer gray due to a crash a few months ago... we mainly traded 1/8 mile wins/loss all day but after the 1/8th that EBR took off leaving me in the dust if he didnt miss shift...im rider #100
20180611_205015.jpg

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member
Fitted a Michelin Road 5 front tire and some Shogun bar end sliders. I also neglected to reinstall those silly amber reflectors over the front forks.

The new front tire is amazing, and I'm sure a lot of it is coming from a worn out front. The amount of front end feel is awesome and the way it effortlessly tracks a turn now is eye opening. I was having to maintain a lot of bar pressure to track a curve with a stock front tire at 12k miles. It was definitely overdue.