FJ-09 Photo Thread

• Premium Member

That's why I got the fjo9 to be more upright I've done everything I could to my VTR to make it more comfortable and I still try to get out on and occasionally I even raised the bars on the FJ and did other things to help and once I'm on I'm okay as long as I keep taking my Tylenol it's just the on-and-off business and then there's my neck which with the barn door screen is okay but it's the side winds and buffeting that kill it

Keep plugging along as long as you can maybe someday I'll have a Spyder but then I got to find a spot for it

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, Zach26 said:

Here is a picture from today's ride. This is at Possum Kingdom Lake, Texas. This is about as good as the scenery gets in my area. There are better places in Texas but I'm restricted to no more than 4 hours away from my home by the military due to the Coronavirus. 

20200522-153310.jpg

Very nice... I remember going to Possum Kingdom with scouts when I was a little kid.   Now we’re living near the Brazos River, about 300 miles downstream.   

Are you stationed in Killeen?   

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

I will no longer complain about the occasional aches & pains in my knees and right collarbone.  

No kidding, glad you guys are still fighting and moving forward in life.  Between work and motorcycles, I have had many injuries (broken foot, knee, wrist, crushed knee and elbow, dislocated shoulder and finger etc.) and in my experience there is nothing as excruciating or debilitating as any injury related to your back, neck to tailbone, its almost like being partially paralyzed. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

Very nice... I remember going to Possum Kingdom with scouts when I was a little kid.   Now we’re living near the Brazos River, about 300 miles downstream.   

Are you stationed in Killeen?   

I'm stationed in Abilene at Dyess AFB. I wish I was stationed in Killeen. That's a lot closer to great riding areas than Abilene is. 

Edited by Zach26
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

No kidding, glad you guys are still fighting and moving forward in life.  Between work and motorcycles, I have had many injuries (broken foot, knee, wrist, crushed knee and elbow, dislocated shoulder and finger etc.) and in my experience there is nothing as excruciating or debilitating as any injury related to your back, neck to tailbone, its almost like being partially paralyzed. 

A crushed knee and elbow! That doesn't sound like fun or as having quick recoveries.  I've lost count of how many things I've broken, torn, crushed, gouged, cut, ground away, smashed, folded and twisted the wrong way, etc..  I'm not a klutz and always try to plan and look ahead.  I'm just unlucky. A Rodney Dangerfield type. Been substantially incident free, knock on plastic, on a motorcycle for almost 50 years.  But a 2 wheeled crash did cause most of my current most serious issues, which make sure I know it's going to rain.  I was taken out by another bicyclist doing 18 mph while spinning along minding my on business.  I was riding for health and cross training and not really enjoying it.  Stay off bicycles, they're dangerous, and besides motorcycles I used to fly ultralights and rock climb, and I've hung off buildings and antenna towers as a living for 40 years.  Of course I don't remember anything because of how many times I've had my bell rung.  But I have a wonderful wife of 40 years, she says she'll take care of me.  That's because she, like many women, forgets nothing, and can remember every detail, date and time.  I can be sure she'll always remind me of important things.  All the things I did wrong at the most inappropriate times.  For many years for fun she can wait patiently for weeks, months, another year, and when I realized I forgot her birthday, or better, our wedding anniversary, she does indeed take care of me...

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
On 5/22/2020 at 7:55 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

I'm not complaining believe me but I like the Heat I used to live in San Diego and regularly went out to the desert and mountains where it can get pretty darn hot

Anzo Borrego, idlewild,  All American Canal near Yuma, Glamith, Salton Sea, etc

Now humidity I'm not big on but the heat doesn't bother me

We used to live in Long Beach.  When friends planned a long ride, I would tell my wife I was going to get groceries and come back with a jar of apple butter from Julian!

• Supporting Member
1 minute ago, texscottyd said:

Not an FJ/Tracer photo, but I still enjoyed this.  
From a friend, who has a new shop helper...  

5236B5A5-C965-4AE0-AC70-29C8B23C6C11.jpeg.99a4808e7708039be3c5cabe60a58459.jpeg

Little fella is admiring the well used tire, thinking - "Damn dude, you took it all the way to the side wall - GOOD JOB!"😎

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
34 minutes ago, betoney said:

Little fella is admiring the well used tire

Yep!  Clearly a track use tire...

My friend is in his mid-60s, and is still out riding on the track frequently.  He has a membership at one of the local motor sports country clubs, and takes full advantage of it.   That’s an RSV4 Aprilia, and he’s damn fast!  We ran several endurance races together over the years, and he keeps prodding me to get back out on the track.  

Life goals...  :) 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

We ran several endurance races together over the years, and he keeps prodding me to get back out on the track.  

Life goals...  :) 

I live within an hour of 2 tracks in Washington, the 3rd is less than 2 hours away and the 4th is less than 4 hours away.  I have thought about getting a dedicated track bike but doing that more than just once in awhile can get quite expensive.   Someday...

1 hour ago, betoney said:

I live within an hour of 2 tracks in Washington, the 3rd is less than 2 hours away and the 4th is less than 4 hours away.  I have thought about getting a dedicated track bike but doing that more than just once in awhile can get quite expensive.   Someday...

I'm very jealous you're so close to race tracks. I'm 4 hours minimum. If you don't want to track your FJ, find a cheap SV650 and just ride it as is. No need for fancy upgrades. Except brake pads and tires of course. 

• Like 2

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, koth442 said:

I'm very jealous you're so close to race tracks. I'm 4 hours minimum. If you don't want to track your FJ, find a cheap SV650 and just ride it as is. No need for fancy upgrades. Except brake pads and tires of course. 

I have considered the same, a naked bike in the 600-700cc range would be fun. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Someday...

Make that Someday Soon.  I started racing in my late 20s, and a huge motivator was the “I don’t want to wake up when I’m 60, and wish that I did” thought.   I’m 55 now, and don’t regret any of the time and money I invested in racing & track days over the years.  

@koth442 is right:  You don’t have to have the latest & greatest to have a blast at a track day.   My 2003 ZX6R is a bit of a dinosaur at this point, but it’s still a perfect track day ride.  If I were hunting for a track day bike now, I would look for an already track-prepped bike that’s past it’s racing prime:  A ten year old SV650, CBR600, GSXR600, ZX6, etc can be had dirt cheap, but with lots of expensive go-fast goodies already installed.   My 636 has the high-end Penske shock, AK20 forks, Brembo master cylinder, steel lines, rotary steering damper, CRG levers, 636RR slipper clutch, LeoVince pipe, semi-fresh motor rebuild, spare wheels & gearing, et al, and I would be lucky to get $2,800 for it.  

03AF0782-BBD8-4AFD-A3DF-9DFABCDC752C.jpeg.c7783d7a5e1939a7ff908aff1a6b8eb5.jpeg

Trust me... you won’t regret it.  😇

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, betoney said:

I have considered the same, a naked bike in the 600-700cc range would be fun. 

It's a blast, can confirm. That was my 2006 SV650 that I tracked the piss out of. Over the years fancy bits kept appearing on it. Purchased for $2600, sold for $1500 after a boat load of abuse. 

SV6500-200859-0.jpg

• Like 2

'15 FJ09