OIL FILTER REMOVAL TOOL

wordsmith

Can someone pls point me to a supplier of this item - the 'cup' type is what I'm after.   And/ or say how many flutes the filter has.

Thanks in advance.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I have replaced the stock filter with a Hiflo HF204 - they looked identical though.

For the HF-204 filter, according to a local supplier this is the correct part.
HF-204 Filter wrench tool

A quick look at 'upside down world' suggests these places offer similar tools (depending on your preference). I'm sure many other would too (65mm / 14 flutes).
Ebay Australia

Autotools AU

I haven't actually used that tool however, as I got by with one of these the 1st time.
Strap tool

And have since used one of these which is only very slightly dearer and has a captive nut on the end which allows the use of a traditional spanner or wrench.
HF-204 RC

This is the one I use.. picked it up from the local autoparts store. 14 flutes, 65mm inner diameter.

20170804_151259.jpg

20170804_151305.jpg

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

A quick look at 'upside down world' suggests these places offer similar tools (depending on your preference). I'm sure many other would too (65mm / 14 flutes). Ebay Australia

Autotools AU

Thank you ib: I have ordered the AUTOTOOLS item.   E Bay certainly shows plenty - like, 000s! - of such items but so many (but couldn't find a Tracer-specific one) that my eyes went all blurry scrolling through!   Why so many variations of the identical theme...?

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
I switched to the K&N Filter because it has a 17mm nut welded to the end, making it much easer to take the thing off.

Bonus, you can buy them on Amazon for <$10

Screen_Shot_2017-08-04_at_7.04.29_PM.png

I switched to the K&N Filter because it has a 17mm nut welded to the end, making it much easer to take the thing off. 
Bonus, you can buy them on Amazon for <$10

Screen_Shot_2017-08-04_at_7.04.29_PM.png

I've used this filter on my last two bikes. The last filter I went to take off, the end actually twisted and was unusable. Had to revert to a standard strap tool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I got the factory one off EBAY, I think it was $15.  Even though I had numerous oil filter sockets none fit. Even though one was very close, it still didn't work.
Weird because the FJ filter is such a common size. I'm using the same cap wrench I used on my Triumph TT600 and my wife's old Mitsubishi Lancer.

The oil filter wrench that I thought would work slipped when I applied any torque.  I think the previous guy had it on to tight.  Had to get it off with a pair of monster vice grips.  Having the factory one will prevent any further problems.

Archived