• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

E10 vs. Non-ethanol fuel

I've been running 87 Octane E10 since new.  I tried 91 Octane E10 and couldn't detect any change in performance or mileage so I went back to 87 for the price.

We FINALLY got a station more-or-less in my area (25 miles away) that's stocking non-ethanol 90 Octane gas.  Fairly significant price premium ($3.319 vs $2.849) but I wanted to try it just for giggles.

My seat-of-the-pants dynamometer says "Horry Sheet!"

Some of this is explained by the fact that I spent the previous hour or two donking around the back roads in "B" mode, gawping at the purdy leaves.  After filling up, I left it in "A" mode.  But, subjectively, even allowing for the mode change, it sure seems like it pulls harder, revs cleaner and has noticeably less "burbling" at idle.

Has anyone else done a comparison?

I've been running 87 Octane E10 since new.  I tried 91 Octane E10 and couldn't detect any change in performance or mileage so I went back to 87 for the price. 
We FINALLY got a station more-or-less in my area (25 miles away) that's stocking non-ethanol 90 Octane gas.  Fairly significant price premium ($3.319 vs $2.849) but I wanted to try it just for giggles.

My seat-of-the-pants dynamometer says "Horry Sheet!"

Some of this is explained by the fact that I spent the previous hour or two donking around the back roads in "B" mode, gawping at the purdy leaves.  After filling up, I left it in "A" mode.  But, subjectively, even allowing for the mode change, it sure seems like it pulls harder, revs cleaner and has noticeably less "burbling" at idle.

Has anyone else done a comparison?
I get that feeling simply from going from B to A mode... When I first read about the differences I thought 'Meh, how different can it really be'... Yeah it's pretty rapid in A..! 
That said, I don't know if the fuel would make that notable a difference or not, in the UK we get a minimum 95 on our 'standard' petrol, and the 'premium' is 97/98. I've never tried premium in it though...

• Premium Member
I have used regular, mid-grade and premium in both Standard E10 and Non-Ethanol, I haven't notice a difference between any of the fuels.
Me neither, I typically run with premium, but in the smaller towns where I ride, I'll fill with whatever I can get. Can't say I've noticed a difference I can attribute to the gas.

I have used regular, mid-grade and premium in both Standard E10 and Non-Ethanol, I haven't notice a difference between any of the fuels.
Me neither, I typically run with premium, but in the smaller towns where I ride, I'll fill with whatever I can get. Can't say I've noticed a difference I can attribute to the gas.
That would make "Me 3".  If there is a difference I haven't seen it ... whether it is power, acceleration, knocking or even Gas Mileage (with Non-Ethanol).  With modern engines having Sensors, computers, ecm's etc.  I was sort of under the impression if the Engine senses less than the recommended premium grade gas in the tank ... basically it just retards the timing a tiny bit.  A "tiny bit" being the key phrase.   

• Premium Member
So does the FJ have an anti-knock sensor that lets us run 87? In almost 20 years of riding motorcycles, all of them required 91+ octance. I've probably used 87 < 6 times and always filled up around half a tank with 91+.

And where does someone find E0 91?  One station locally had it about 10 years ago, but it went away when they changed ownership.

So does the FJ have an anti-knock sensor that lets us run 87? In almost 20 years of riding motorcycles, all of them required 91+ octance. I've probably used 87 < 6 times and always filled up around half a tank with 91+. 

And where does someone find E0 91?  One station locally had it about 10 years ago, but it went away when they changed ownership.

E0 91 is more and more difficult to find. In Missouri there's a chain of gas stations that specifically sells it. Otherwise it's hit or miss.

'15 FJ09

I've been running regular since I bought the bike used in June of this year. I ran regular in my ZX11 Ninja, ZRX1100 and 94, 95 and 1999 VMax. Never had a problem.  We did a test years ago with the VMOA on a Gen 1 VMax running regular then premium on the same dyno within an hour of each pull and found the regular produced just as much HP as the premium. The Gen 1 VMaxes have a bolt in the bottom of the gas tank under the seat so it's easy to change out a tank of gas. Only thing I had to run primo in was my Honda Turbo jet skis. They would activate the knock sensor and knock the RPM's down till you used Premium. I have heard, yes "Heard" that you get less mileage out of ethanol gases than non but I know, yes "Know" that there are the same BTU's in regular and premium gas. Both put out the same power just premium is harder to ignite, hence better for high compression engines. We're paying 2.44 a gallon or so here for 10% ethanol, not sure what the non-ethanol is, haven't had a need to buy it. I know it's out there just haven't had the need. 

Yes phpaul, this engine is a lot of fun. With the power to weight ratio and flickability of this bike you can't help but have fun on it. 

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

No knock sensors.

The reason 91 octane is recommended is due to the high compression ratio.

-Skip
  • Thumbsup 1

I recently went on a tour down through Europe and in Germany they have quite a large range from 92 and 95 (being equal to American 91 and 93).
Then they also have SuperPlus which is 98, Shell V power at 100-101 and some OMV stations have octane 102!

We tried everything and to be honest I couldn't feel any difference at all.

No knock sensors.  
The reason 91 octane is recommended is due to the high compression ratio.

-Skip
Yup high compression, which is why it boggles my mind you cats insist on trying to save a buck a fill up...
  • Thumbsup 3
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

On the subject of ethanol I myself have recently found a station about 35 minutes away that has 0% 91 octane. Not only that but it's over the hill in Nevada where gas is cheaper so I actually save about a dollar a gallon over my local station. I will be running only this gas in both of my bikes and my sled from now on. No you will not feel any "power" change with ethanol free gas. The main advantage of corn free gas is that it does not have the awful property that ethanol does of attracting moisture and causing corrosion. It is much much better to have 0% corn gas in your bike while it sits over the winter, also you do not need fuel stabilizer because that stuff is mainly used because of the ethanol.

Just remember folks the only reason we put this crap in our fuel in the first place is because of government subsidies! It has zero benefit, corn free for life.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling