Can't do a wheelie, Do I have a problem?

13 hours ago, Stew said:

Ah. Thanks @duhg , I was scared to google it. Genuinely had no idea what it meant.
It's an education this forum.

For future reference, anytime you're afraid to google an acronym of some sort, and you should be afraid to google them, urbandictionary.com will provide an answer without risking exposure to the horrors of the internet. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

'15 FJ09

On 8/19/2020 at 7:22 PM, Bill H said:

hey so strongly considering the sprocket change ,,after 1500 miles im guessing for all the same reasons you did .Pounding throught the gears hard from 1st and up the bike screams ,,smooth and fast ,,and the quick shiftier is pretty cool,,but only when jamming through the gears . ,,BUT !!! say cruising along 5K and roll on gas hard it is not very impressive ,, just a big ol flat spot So i have three questions for you

1,,Have you installed that booster yet ?

2 ,,did you have to change the chain with taller sprocket

3 did bigger sprocket not only helped with excel but front end lift ??

1. Yes.  The boosterplug works wonderfully for low speed performance, cleans up the hunting/surging it tends to do when moving about at idle or partial throttle, and increases it's go on sudden throttle roll on from the same.  

2. No.  I measured out first, as the Gearing Commander (gearingcommander.com) shows the total amount of rear wheel movement you'll need so you can figure out if you need a new chain too.  I had the 8.5mm required adjustment (though it was pretty close!) 

3. Absolutely.  Now on a straight pull in first at WOT as it crosses 8k RPM it starts lifting the front - without touching the clutch.  

Mine vibrates at 4500-5000 rpm.  Not much below or above, but pretty substantial right there.  The gearing change actually helped there because it got me cruising just outside the "buzzy spot" instead of right in the middle of it.  You're looking at ~+550 rpm at any given speed.

On 8/20/2020 at 12:02 AM, Bill H said:

well just got back and honestly it doesnt make a diff on or off,,and in a way im glad because unless i get into the habit of turning it off every time i ride Im sure as hell not gonna pull over when i feel like randomly lofting the front end..OK my theory is it needs to be re flashed ,,,so humming along 2nd gear around 5-6 k rpms right  in the sweet spot  and hammer throttle ,,there is a slight bog,,flat spot,,like your in b mode.,no way is it gonna lift,,so same thing this time pull in clutch,,rev up to 8-9 grand and pop clutch ,,it feels at first like its gonna come up but then as the rpms drop it bogs just enough to say ,,sorry no wheelie for you .Now i know newer bikes have longer frames but there is a definite  flat spot  that i  think is holding it back

I'm also new to the Tracer & all the new safety gizmos.  I at first didn't realize I had to turn off TC at a standstill, also had to RTFM to figure out how to do it!

I've found the sweet spot is 6-7K for lifting the front on acceleration only.  In 1st or 2nd I'll accelerate to 6K, momentary blip down to load the fork then throttle open & up it goes; I don't even need WOT.  In TC1 it cuts the power with a small'ish lift.  With no TC I better be covering the rear brake.  With the GF onboard it'll do the same in 3rd.

• Premium Member
23 hours ago, Stew said:

Aaaaargh :)
It sounds more plausible than mine.
I'm too old for all this , why can't people type whole phrases any more.

I rarely type anything my voice recognition is pretty good

do they have a Scottish learning curve on you're Scottish cell phones for voice recognition

sometimes your brogues are so rhrymy but we don't know whether you're from this planet sometimes

My youngest spent a semester in Edinboro for her Veterinary training and we facetimed with her chaperones it was hysterical these kids and they're no different than our kids in terms of abbreviations or acronyms we're just old

And Bill H search The Forum for what I'm talking about

• Thumbsup 1

6 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I rarely type anything my voice recognition is pretty good

do they have a Scottish learning curve on you're Scottish cell phones for voice recognition

sometimes your brogues are so rhrymy but we don't know whether you're from this planet sometimes

My youngest spent a semester in Edinboro for her Veterinary training and we facetimed with her chaperones it was hysterical these kids and they're no different than our kids in terms of abbreviations or acronyms we're just old

And Bill H search The Forum for what I'm talking about

Voice recognition? Are you joking.........

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Stew said:

Voice recognition? Are you joking.........

Great routine but why are they blaming it on the United States probably made in China

I can't imagine what they do in Wales ...

Everybody thinks the United States is cosmopolitan but there are many dialects and different meanings for the same word 

Try finding a campground in Brown County Indiana by the University of Indiana hypothetically a very Cosmopolitan environment is challenging to say the least

The Hoosier twang is incredible and so innocent without any self-consciousness or political correctness including when it comes to quote on quote minorities

Many people think the KKK sprung from Alabama or Louisiana but it started in Indiana

The Louisiana grumble has a very unique sound to it, in New Orleans there's a French flavor and they too have no self-consciousness though they take great pride in their uniqueness

I don't know if you've traveled throughout the United States but besides it being so much larger than anywhere else you've been that speaks English, other than maybe Australia where there isn't a lot of diversity and a much smaller population, the vastness diversity and beauty of the u.s. on a motorcycle is why I've never made it to Europe. But that's been much a matter of time and money

I could in my youth raise gas money (30 cents  gallon), buy my PalMal Reds filterless (50 cents), thow on a backpack and sleeping bag, and travel 8,000 miles without a care for almost nothing.   Ah, 1972...

10 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

1. Yes.  The boosterplug works wonderfully for low speed performance, cleans up the hunting/surging it tends to do when moving about at idle or partial throttle, and increases it's go on sudden throttle roll on from the same.  

2. No.  I measured out first, as the Gearing Commander (gearingcommander.com) shows the total amount of rear wheel movement you'll need so you can figure out if you need a new chain too.  I had the 8.5mm required adjustment (though it was pretty close!) 

3. Absolutely.  Now on a straight pull in first at WOT as it crosses 8k RPM it starts lifting the front - without touching the clutch.  

Mine vibrates at 4500-5000 rpm.  Not much below or above, but pretty substantial right there.  The gearing change actually helped there because it got me cruising just outside the "buzzy spot" instead of right in the middle of it.  You're looking at ~+550 rpm at any given speed.

cleans up the hunting/surging it tends to do when moving about at idle or partial throttle, and increases it's go on sudden throttle roll on from the same.   PERFECTLY DESCRIBED !! ,,exactly what my bike does,, ,,all good stuff here ,glad its working out for you,,its always nice when you do a mod and it meets or exceeds expectations ,,believe it or not after 1500 miles im still getting used to bike and all its pros and cons ,,I want to make sure i appreciate the pros while understanding and eliminating the cons ,Thanks so much for the great info ,very helpful

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, Satsteve said:

I'm also new to the Tracer & all the new safety gizmos.  I at first didn't realize I had to turn off TC at a standstill, also had to RTFM to figure out how to do it!

I've found the sweet spot is 6-7K for lifting the front on acceleration only.  In 1st or 2nd I'll accelerate to 6K, momentary blip down to load the fork then throttle open & up it goes; I don't even need WOT.  In TC1 it cuts the power with a small'ish lift.  With no TC I better be covering the rear brake.  With the GF onboard it'll do the same in 3rd.

yeah i had to read manual also ,,i was like ;;;what the hells wrong with this thing,,it would be SOOOOO nice if you could change on the fly.,,I guess im so used to my fz07 ,,clutch up at 20mph and front leaps up,,whats 6-7 k in 2nd on a 900? 50-60 mph ? ,I will give it a go and LUK ,,thanks for the tip.

With the GF onboard it'll do the same in 3rd,,,.I bet she loves that hahah

• Premium Member

Sprocket change report:  15/44 = +4.1% higher RPM in each gear.  Increased RPMs really helps felt acceleration, especially from 3rd up, and matches each gear better to the powerband.  Gas mileage based on only 183 miles actually appeared to improve because of running closer to optimum efficiency per gear.  Obviously if felt more torquey, more so than I expected. So much so that I didn't feel the need to jump into A mode.  Now when I tried 15/45 I felt it was too radically low, though others go even lower (higher numerically), which IMO is too far outside the RPM ~Gear perimeters the engine was designed to run efficiently at.

• Supporting Member
30 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Gas mileage based on only 183 miles actually appeared to improve because of running closer to optimum efficiency per gear.

Now when I tried 15/45 I felt it was too radically low, though others go even lower (higher numerically), which IMO is too far outside the RPM ~Gear perimeters the engine was designed to run efficiently at.

What does that mean?  What is the ideal "optimum efficiency per gear"?  Do you mean higher rpm's?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Now when I tried 15/45 I felt it was too radically low, though others go even lower (higher numerically), which IMO is too far outside the RPM ~Gear perimeters the engine was designed to run efficiently at.

I too *really* like the bike with shorter gearing.  The 16/47 2.9375 works really well for me (and is functionally identical to 15/44 at 2.9333), but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't considered dropping to a 15t front as well to go to 3.133.  The bike is really fun with that extra torque.

But, like @betoney, I'm confused by what you mean in the quoted bit above.  RPM per gear doesn't change from stock; you just shift at different speeds - the engine is going to run at the same RPM's either way (assuming you're keeping the engine around the RPM's it likes to be at) and you just shift a little earlier.  

• Premium Member

What I meant was that at a given Road speed and load, the engine has an optimal RPM that provides maximum fuel efficiency. It's not just a matter of RPM and where you're shifting based on the internal gear ratios. Valve timing and lift are also part of the equation which are fixed unless you play with the valve timing and cam profile , which we're not discussing. Does that now make more sense?

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

What I meant was that at a given Road speed and load, the engine has an optimal RPM that provides maximum fuel efficiency. It's not just a matter of RPM and where you're shifting based on the internal gear ratios. Valve timing and lift are also part of the equation which are fixed unless you play with the valve timing and cam profile , which we're not discussing. Does that now make more sense?

Yes, it makes sense, though the way you worded it (or the way I interpreted it) I thought you had an actual rpm for "optimum efficiency", I was hoping for something quick and easy like - "It works best at 5,200rpm".  😄

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***