Are people happy w AKRO full exhaust?

2 hours ago, mingo said:

I place the bike on the side stand, then slide the center stand dolly under the bike and deploy the center stand. The front wheel doesn't roll over it. The dolly has a clearance of about 3mm off the ground. I've had this one for over 20 years, so I don't recall what I paid for it, but you should be able to find one in Australia. just do a google search. 

Cool thanks, makes sense, appreciate your prompt response.

I don’t want to hack the thread but I am a bit worried about these aftermarket exhausts.

In Europe, starting this year, we are confronted with the closure of roads for bikes that create too much sound. Some countries (like the Netherlands) close popular biker roads for all bikes. This is partially done because of the fact that some popular roads are getting too busy on sunny says and the number of bikers is starting to become too dangerous for other people (pedestrians, cyclists). But a big reason to close these roads is because of the noise bikers create. Other road users or people who live near these roads have been complaining.

Another, more worrying, thing is that Austria has closed some very nice alpine roads for bikes that create too much sound. And the issue here is that it doesn’t just effect bikes with aftermarket pipes. Due to the many complaints the Austrian (Tirol) government decided to close a few roads for every bike that creates more than 95 decibels when measured statically. To give you some background: European bikes are approved for use on the road if they don’t create more than 80 decibels when measured dynamically. Although static measurements are also registered, there used to be no real legal rule.

That is until now, thanks to the Austrian government. By closing roads for bikes that create more than 95 decibels statically there are now bikes that are road legal (so no aftermarket exhaust) but are no longer allowed to drive on these roads. To give you an example: BMW S1000 RR and HD Dyna Street Bob are amongst the legal bikes that are no longer allowed (but there are many more).

Now, this might look as a stupid action by a single government, but there are other European governments that are contemplating similar actions. They tend to listen to the complaints of non-bikers.

Although I believe that most of the bikers don’t have aftermarket or don’t cause nuisance for other people, there is at least in Europe a small group of bikers that seems to be such a nuisance to others that complaints are getting louder and louder. And governments act upon those complaints.

Let’s make sure that we don’t destroy the thing we love to do. Keep the noise down, at least within legal limits. Loud pipes save lifes is not really an good argument. Loud pipes seem to kill our passion if we are not careful.

Edited by Michiel900GT
Typo
  • Thumbsup 2

It's unfortunate to hear about these road closures for bikes in EU. 

The Akrapovic is a quality exhaust and is not loud or obnoxious unless you remove the db killer. 

I'm currently in London, UK and there are certainly riders here with very loud and very obnoxious exhausts which end up ruining it for all of us and giving all riders a bad reputation. 

8 hours ago, Michiel900GT said:

I don’t want to hack the thread but I am a bit worried about these aftermarket exhausts.

In Europe, starting this year, we are confronted with the closure of roads for bikes that create too much sound. Some countries (like the Netherlands) close popular biker roads for all bikes. This is partially done because of the fact that some popular roads are getting too busy on sunny says and the number of bikers is starting to become too dangerous for other people (pedestrians, cyclists). But a big reason to close these roads is because of the noise bikers create. Other road users or people who live near these roads have been complaining.

Another, more worrying, thing is that Austria has closed some very nice alpine roads for bikes that create too much sound. And the issue here is that it doesn’t just effect bikes with aftermarket pipes. Due to the many complaints the Austrian (Tirol) government decided to close a few roads for every bike that creates more than 95 decibels when measured statically. To give you some background: European bikes are approved for use on the road if they don’t create more than 80 decibels when measured dynamically. Although static measurements are also registered, there used to be no real legal rule.

That is until now, thanks to the Austrian government. By closing roads for bikes that create more than 95 decibels statically there are now bikes that are road legal (so no aftermarket exhaust) but are no longer allowed to drive on these roads. To give you an example: BMW S1000 RR and HD Dyna Street Bob are amongst the legal bikes that are no longer allowed (but there are many more).

Now, this might look as a stupid action by a single government, but there are other European governments that are contemplating similar actions. They tend to listen to the complaints of non-bikers.

Although I believe that most of the bikers don’t have aftermarket or don’t cause nuisance for other people, there is at least in Europe a small group of bikers that seems to be such a nuisance to others that complaints are getting louder and louder. And governments act upon those complaints.

Let’s make sure that we don’t destroy the thing we love to do. Keep the noise down, at least within legal limits. Loud pipes save lifes is not really an good argument. Loud pipes seem to kill our passion if we are not careful.

What about the rich prick arseholes who have performance exhausts on their sports cars, are they affected as well ????

• Thumbsup 1

21 minutes ago, mingo said:

It's unfortunate to hear about these road closures for bikes in EU. 

The Akrapovic is a quality exhaust and is not loud or obnoxious unless you remove the db killer. 

I'm currently in London, UK and there are certainly riders here with very loud and very obnoxious exhausts which end up ruining it for all of us and giving all riders a bad reputation. 

Where i live in SE London it's mainly idiots with performance pipes on their cars that gurgle and pop when they race up to speed humps

On 6/6/2020 at 12:47 PM, Toddtr said:

Kind of a silly question to ask. If anyone spends that kind of money on a show pipe they will not say they don’t like it. It’s very expensive and nets a few horsepower so it has to be only for the sound or looks. Heck just get to your correct BMI and it would achieve better results as far as power goes, even Albert knows that. Also, no riding fat bottom girls, they really don’t make the world go round 

I spent the money on my MT07.  I found it much too loud, but after being installed and run it couldn't be returned, so... *shrugs* It stayed.  I did like it's look, and thought it sounded pretty cool, but it basically forced me to ride super slow and quiet through the area around my neighborhood to not be a dick, etc, etc.

Yeah, there's a *technical* performance gain, but in practice it's so trivial as to be undetectable.  You notice the *change* in the powerband way more, of course, but actual performance gains are insignificant.  

Ultimately, it's a cosmetic upgrade.  Now, to be sure, cosmetic upgrades are cool and all (mmmm farkles) but I tend to head into any exhaust discussion with that at the forefront: It's a cosmetic upgrade, and an extremely expensive one at that.  There's a hell of a lot of better places to invest the ~$1000 an exhaust system costs.

Hell, that was what I came to realize with my MT07 - I could have spent the extra $1000 when I bought the bike and got an MT09 instead, and rather than gaining ~2hp I'd have gained some 50hp.

• Thumbsup 1

20 hours ago, Suu Kyi said:

Hi Mingo, noticed in your photo that you have your bike on the centre stand which is then on a dolly/trolley. This would allow manoeuvrability etc. The bit I'm curious about is how do you drive your bike's front wheel over it in the first instance, are the dolly wheels locked, is the belly of the dolly on the ground when you ride over and then raised before the centre stand is lowered etc. Also; where can you get these from and how much do they cost? Can I get one in Australia? Thanks.

I got one here in Canada for (iirc) $40.  @mingo covered how they work.  The one I bought had an extension, with a fifth wheel and another tray - you roll your rear tire onto the dolly, then deploy the side stand into the tray.  I removed this, though, as using the center stand on the dolly is just easier.  But it makes them practical for bikes w/o centerstands.  They're usually $50-$100, depending on the capacity and who you buy them from.  

• Thumbsup 1

On 6/9/2020 at 12:34 PM, mingo said:

I place the bike on the side stand, then slide the center stand dolly under the bike and deploy the center stand. The front wheel doesn't roll over it. The dolly has a clearance of about 3mm off the ground. I've had this one for over 20 years, so I don't recall what I paid for it, but you should be able to find one in Australia. just do a google search. 

I have the same dolley, heavy sucker.  I am in the US, but I recall it was a Melbourne company making them.

7 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I spent the money on my MT07.  I found it much too loud, but after being installed and run it couldn't be returned, so... *shrugs* It stayed.  I did like it's look, and thought it sounded pretty cool, but it basically forced me to ride super slow and quiet through the area around my neighborhood to not be a dick, etc, etc.

Yeah, there's a *technical* performance gain, but in practice it's so trivial as to be undetectable.  You notice the *change* in the powerband way more, of course, but actual performance gains are insignificant.  

Ultimately, it's a cosmetic upgrade.  Now, to be sure, cosmetic upgrades are cool and all (mmmm farkles) but I tend to head into any exhaust discussion with that at the forefront: It's a cosmetic upgrade, and an extremely expensive one at that.  There's a hell of a lot of better places to invest the ~$1000 an exhaust system costs.

Hell, that was what I came to realize with my MT07 - I could have spent the extra $1000 when I bought the bike and got an MT09 instead, and rather than gaining ~2hp I'd have gained some 50hp.

Exactly. I know it’s a personal thing but I see people spending well over 2k on upgrades when they should have just went with another kind of bike. Trying to be lighter or faster, making the bike into something it was never intended to be. It’s not a sport bike and it never will be. I like my bike but after riding with some pretty fast guys the other day I know if I want to keep up with the R1s etc. then I need an R1 or something similar. Your bike your choice but I think when you look at how much money you tossed into it then things can go south. Exhaust, suspension, and other farkles add up and probably more than most will admit. 

• Thumbsup 1

I can't comment on the Akro system. I have the Yoshi full system and love it. I lost around 8 to 10 pounds, can't remember for sure on that, the sound is awesome, gained about 11 bHP, 5 ft lbs of torque and to my eye the gain is throughout the rpm range and smooth. This is all with a reflash of ECU by Vcyclenut. I do agree that a suspension upgrade is probably better money spent. I did that also. It all depends on you and the type of riding you do. I find that more power is best for me when I'm on the flat straight roads of Florida and the suspension upgrade is more useful in Carolina mountains. Check out Dyno chart. It got mislabeled on the chart, but it is mine.

Resize of 20190223_133353.jpg

Resize of 20190308_101108.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Toddtr said:

Exactly. I know it’s a personal thing but I see people spending well over 2k on upgrades when they should have just went with another kind of bike. Trying to be lighter or faster, making the bike into something it was never intended to be. It’s not a sport bike and it never will be. I like my bike but after riding with some pretty fast guys the other day I know if I want to keep up with the R1s etc. then I need an R1 or something similar. Your bike your choice but I think when you look at how much money you tossed into it then things can go south. Exhaust, suspension, and other farkles add up and probably more than most will admit. 

I understand your POV and completely see where you are coming from but I see it differently...  In my case my bikes are for recreation and I want them to suit my wants and needs 100% - regardless of the cost.  I could have bought a different bike to start with but for me that would probably be a $20-$23K BMW or Ducati + the cost of ownership and then I would still want to personalize it. 

In the past 30 years, I have never kept a bike stock, I could understand if I was wasting money on useless carbon fiber or billet aluminum "bling" but I have always modified them with suspension, seats, handlebars, tires etc. - functional, useful upgrades.  I have never considered resale value and could care less what its worth in 8-10 years - did it put a smile on my face while I owned it?.  I read a lot of forums where people argue "The bike was only $9k, why would I spend $1500-$2000 in suspension or $600 on a custom built seat?"  My reply would be - regardless if its a budget bike or a high dollar premium bike, make it the best you can so you enjoy it.

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, RandyN said:

I can't comment on the Akro system. I have the Yoshi full system and love it. I lost around 8 to 10 pounds, can't remember for sure on that, the sound is awesome, gained about 11 bHP, 5 ft lbs of torque and to my eye the gain is throughout the rpm range and smooth. This is all with a reflash of ECU by Vcyclenut. I do agree that a suspension upgrade is probably better money spent. I did that also. It all depends on you and the type of riding you do. I find that more power is best for me when I'm on the flat straight roads of Florida and the suspension upgrade is more useful in Carolina mountains. Check out Dyno chart. It got mislabeled on the chart, but it is mine.

Resize of 20190223_133353.jpg

Resize of 20190308_101108.jpg

Can I ask how much you have in your bike now as far as upgrades? If and when you sell it do you think you will recover any of those expenses? 

@Toddtr That’s a good question. My local dealer told me many dealers (including him) would rather trade in a bike that has not been upgraded or customized by the previous owner. It makes a bike harder to sell if there are “taste specific” modifications.
But I think most of the people that customize their bike don’t do so because of the value of the bike (besides the value it creates for themselves of course)

Edited by Michiel900GT