What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, nhchris said:

I installed a 17-tooth Vortex undamped front sprocket.  (No one makes a damped 17.)

Not too difficult once you break the sprocket nut loose.  Although I did need to pull the rear axel to get enough slack to fit my new chain 110-link over the 17 and then slide the sprocket onto the splined shaft.

I was very careful when lifting the crimped skirt of the nut and as a result did minimum damage to it. So I was able to reuse it. When tightened down fully the nut was in a slightly different position so new crimps used fresh metal on the skirt.

I did need to shave a bit off the plastic chain guide to fit it over the larger sprocket.  But once installed the guide was snug but not dragging on the chain.

Like hiking boots -- snug but comfortable...

S1.JPG

Plastic chain guide needed a little trimming on underside...

S2.JPG

Very Santo like I like to have after I change the sprocket and chain

Can you indicate where you trimmed the guide please and do you have the Tracer with the longer swingarm thus the longer 110 link chain?

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

That sounds EXACTLY like something I would try to do.  I'm not pushing it around the garage but trying to keep the boredom at bay with little projects and making adjustments.

Talk about stupid and the wife wanting to write you off, the morning after I got home from the rotator cuff stuff it snowed and of course my neighbor knew and came over to shovel but I went out, and my wife went out and I had a shovel in my right hand my good arm.  I was chastised enough to stop but it was frustrating.  I have had 2000 square feet to blow and shovel for 30+ years but it's time to hire the landscape guys for it. That's going to be very tough to watch them phuck things up.

I was in a sling for at least five weeks.  It did come up with a Captain Hook hook to stabilize the steering wheel when I wanted to relax. 

That's why I've got to get tires and chain changed Lube the swingarm and linkage and other stuff I'm not going to be able to do

After they fuse and decompress I'm not sure how long I'm going to be able to stand. I know they don't want me to sit too long unless I'm uncomfortable, so it's going to be weird I've always had a problem with an appendage or my brain so this'll be interesting to say the least

1 hour ago, texscottyd said:

You are going to be so pleased with the suspension upgrades...  I can’t wait to hear your impression.   

You may surprise yourself with adjustments to the riding position after having the suspension done.   I went lower & farther away with the bars, and the slight extra weight over the front is the perfect complement to the more sporting nature of the bike.   It’s still super comfortable, and the slight forward upper-body lean balances nicely with the clean airflow from the shorty windscreen I use.    It’s kind of a a comfy hooligan-sport-standard...  

Exactly what I am thinking/hoping. I could see me ending up setting the bike up so the bars are lower and further away. Ido like my big puig screen though :)

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, iitywygms said:

What suspension goodies did you decide on?  I have the base 900 and have been looking around trying to find something that is the best bang for the buck.

HIya @iitywygms , I went with a UK company , TWS Suspension, who provided me with a list of custom options.

I decided on...

Fully strip and service forks and Install K-Tech-20 SSK Piston Kit with springs to suit your weight

Replace the stock shock with a K-Tech Razor R Performance shock fully adjustable in preload, compression and rebound

All being fitted by the guy who runs the company, so it will all be set as well as possible for me. I am tall and very skinny, so I like a bike set up really soft, but with the ability to stiffen up the back end a bit for camping gear/inflatable canoe/pillion (in that order!)

• Thumbsup 2

4 minutes ago, Stew said:

HIya @iitywygms , I went with a UK company , TWS Suspension, who provided me with a list of custom options.

I decided on...

Fully strip and service forks and Install K-Tech-20 SSK Piston Kit with springs to suit your weight

Replace the stock shock with a K-Tech Razor R Performance shock fully adjustable in preload, compression and rebound

All being fitted by the guy who runs the company, so it will all be set as well as possible for me. I am tall and very skinny, so I like a bike set up really soft, but with the ability to stiffen up the back end a bit for camping gear/inflatable canoe/pillion (in that order!)

Sounds sweet.  I can turn a wrench so I am going to try this myself.  Although I think if I could find a shop nearby that specialized in suspension I may go that route.  I'm hoping that I can spend just under 1500 usd and get goodies for both the front and rear.  But the options out there are overwhelming. 

• Thumbsup 1

Just now, iitywygms said:

Sounds sweet.  I can turn a wrench so I am going to try this myself.  Although I think if I could find a shop nearby that specialized in suspension I may go that route.  I'm hoping that I can spend just under 1500 usd and get goodies for both the front and rear.  But the options out there are overwhelming. 

So can I, but the price, including the fitting and setup from a proper 'expert' was too good to bother doing myself then spending ages on setup. It is costing me almost exactly the amount you mentioned. Bargain.

Hopefully you'll find somewhere near you. There are so many options available.

• Thumbsup 1

Went on a hot ride to shake down some new farkles on the bike ( custom phone mount, and a couple other adjustments). 

Got home and adjusted the foot break position, and the front brake angle a bit for easier "Roll onto brake" motion, the stock angle was too parallel to the ground and caused my fingers to cramp.   Further tweaked rebound and compression settings. 

20200718_163406080_iOS.jpg

20200718_163413853_iOS.jpg

20200718_163352034_iOS.jpg

56 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Very Santo like I like to have after I change the sprocket and chain

Can you indicate where you trimmed the guide please and do you have the Tracer with the longer swingarm thus the longer 110 link chain?

I have a 2016 FJ and it uses a 110 link chain with stock gearing.  The 17 is usable with stock length chain.

Here's where the guide needed a bit of addl clearance.  Note that the trimming was required only to fit the guide over the edges of the chain links.  The actual chain rollers did not contact the guide once it was in place.

Rode the bike today and it is exactly the change I was hoping for.  Around town I am one gear lower and at speed revs are reduced.  Speedo remains accurate. I do notice that undamped is less tolerant of sloppy clutch technique :)

S2.JPG

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

2 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

Went on a hot ride to shake down some new farkles on the bike ( custom phone mount, and a couple other adjustments). 

Got home and adjusted the foot break position, and the front brake angle a bit for easier "Roll onto brake" motion, the stock angle was too parallel to the ground and caused my fingers to cramp.   Further tweaked rebound and compression settings. 

20200718_163406080_iOS.jpg

20200718_163413853_iOS.jpg

20200718_163352034_iOS.jpg

Love that scenery!

2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Stew said:

Exactly what I am thinking/hoping. I could see me ending up setting the bike up so the bars are lower and further away. Ido like my big puig screen though :)

If you look back I've posted details and photos of doing exactly that with different tapered aluminum bars that were lower and slightly more swept-back great position if my back wasn't phucked up and still was able to manage three different sized screens with the spacers at the mounting points

I went with massage OEM valving in the forks but comp & rebound each leg, .95 springs, the Razor R, Speigler lines, 320 R1 pies with their Brembo mc.  Easy for me with the Bret Cave.

You'll like it

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Stew said:

Fitted the Denali Soundbomb horn

Is Soundbomb fit a simple plug-n-play?  Or does it require a rewire for increased currant draw?

• Thumbsup 1
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

3 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Is Soundbomb fit a simple plug-n-play?  Or does it require a rewire for increased currant draw?

Pull the two wires off from where the existing horn is fitted (bayonet sort of thingies) and push on the two wires from the new horn.
Nothing to it. It is the Soundbomb mini I went with, and it is insanely wonderfully loud.

New member.  I purchased my bike late last year and finally got around to performing a host of changes I've been putting off...

• swapped out the silver shrouds and side panels for semi-matte black.
  • Upgraded the front and rear seat to a Bagster
  • Installed Vortex sprockets (front & Rear) with a new DID X-Ring chain
  • Swapped out the tires for Continental Sport Attach 3 (front and rear)
  • Replaced the US spec pumpkin turn signals and installed a tidy tail
  • Installed carbon fiber fork protectors (wanted to see a little less gold on the fork uppers)

Next on the list is a Sargent Backrest (for the misses), a Puig Touring windscreen, and a Soundbomb (horn).

IMG_4743.jpeg

IMG_4360.jpeg

IMG_4566.jpeg

Edited by Nashtele
  • Thumbsup 8
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, nhchris said:

I have a 2016 FJ and it uses a 110 link chain with stock gearing.  The 17 is usable with stock length chain.

Here's where the guide needed a bit of addl clearance.  Note that the trimming was required only to fit the guide over the edges of the chain links.  The actual chain rollers did not contact the guide once it was in place.

Rode the bike today and it is exactly the change I was hoping for.  Around town I am one gear lower and at speed revs are reduced.  Speedo remains accurate. I do notice that undamped is less tolerant of sloppy clutch technique :)

S2.JPG

Thanks 

My error I do have 110 not 104 links I don't know why I was thinking, maybe my VTR 

Don't you mean one gear higher not lower

• Thumbsup 1