What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

5 hours ago, betoney said:

Make sure to get a +2 link chain, obviously wait until its time for a new chain and sprockets.

Don't need it.

47 tooth fits with the stock chain, it requires the axle to move forward 8.6mm, and even off the showroom floor I had that.

Edited by Wintersdark

6 hours ago, betoney said:

Glad you like the gearing, it makes the bike just that much more fun! 

Even though the gearing is shorter between gears, I find you can still pull a long time in each gear, and you need to try some uphill sweepers... keeping the rpm's in the sweet spot is much easier with less down shifting.

Even first.  I mean, you've gotta shift a *bit* earlier, but it's like 80kph, certainly not a problem.  Feels so, so much better launching and running through the gears, though, you get through that weak spot 2k-4.5k faster, and even in it in first the power difference is noticable.  

I gained 3kph in top speed, too!

Wins across the board.  Didn't watch fuel economy too carefully (too busy zooming down mountain roads this evening) but I certainly didn't notice any real difference.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Don't need it.

47 tooth fits with the stock chain, it requires the axle to move forward 8.6mm, and even off the showroom floor I had that.

OK, I have read other bike forums where there was a lot of struggling to get the master link connected with the axle completely forward, then there was zero chain slack.  Glad you got it to fit.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I tried one up on the front and a 47 separately but since my gas milage is so abysmal as it is on E10 and the swill we have around here and even with extended e0 91 so I went back to stock I do run a 520 though with the superlite sprockets from sprocket Center

Now my right wrist is probably extensively responsible for the poor mileage but it is smoother with the stock gearing for extended slabbing and I can coax 42 or so when I ride like a computer

• Supporting Member

I had read about using spacers to extend the screen from the mount to allow airflow behind the screen.  (possibly to eliminate a vacuum, dead air or buffeting? who knows).  Supposedly it is the same principal as screens that have slots cut in them to allow airflow.  Its worth a shot right? no risk, no reward.

I went to the hardware store and bought various spacers, washers, nuts and longer mount bolts, maybe $12 total.  I mixed them with existing parts from the hardware provided with the Parabellum Fly screen.  The spacers are 1" long.

image.png.26e78c8484807138931c3cb44055c5b1.png

I made an adjustable top holder to accommodate any length spacer I may end up using, but I don't see going longer than 1".  The rubber bumper was reused from the Parabellum hardware and has seen better days as it is cracked from the sun exposure.

image.png.fdc480cf99fab8e0565049c9bf351fe6.png

1" spacers installed and screen offset, allowing air underneath. 

image.png.b00ff596821a4604a141c3cc63ef8d73.png

I haven't been on the bike lately, recovering from surgery on my arm, so I wont get a chance to road-test it for awhile.  Worst cast scenario, I hate it and remove the spacers, it might take 5 minutes to put everything back to how I originally had it.  If I cant be out riding, at least I was able to play around in the garage today. 🤷‍♀️

• Thumbsup 4

I did not do anything to my Tracer today or yesterday, BUT TODAY onwards , i can/will do something with my Tracer GT, freshly delivered ! Looking forward to many rides and looking forward to contribution on these splendid forum and to those Guru's /Riders here, Thanks! , whom has contributed, look forward to absorbing more input. 

home.jpeg

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

On 7/15/2020 at 8:19 AM, betoney said:

OK, I have read other bike forums where there was a lot of struggling to get the master link connected with the axle completely forward, then there was zero chain slack.  Glad you got it to fit.

Could be a Tracer vs. FJ difference; the adjusters(damn it! makes it way harder to find good adjusters!) and swingarm are different after all.  Mine fit easily, with a fair bit of slack. 

But yeah, I should have been a little more clear there: If I were buying a new chain, I'd *absolutely* buy one two links bigger, Just In Case as brand new chains are quite tight and stretch a fair bit pretty quickly.  It's always better to buy a chain two links too big, than two links too small!  It's really easy to remove links, but a MUCH bigger PITA to add them.

But if you're adding a 47 tooth sprocket to an existing bike with a good but in use chain, yeah, direct swap.  Was a really quick and easy job. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2020 at 11:02 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

I tried one up on the front and a 47 separately but since my gas milage is so abysmal as it is on E10 and the swill we have around here and even with extended e0 91 so I went back to stock I do run a 520 though with the superlite sprockets from sprocket Center

Now my right wrist is probably extensively responsible for the poor mileage but it is smoother with the stock gearing for extended slabbing and I can coax 42 or so when I ride like a computer

One UP on the front?  So you tried both ways?  Should get better mileage with one up on the front (but... eh, that sounds like a horrible riding experience to me, but then I have decidedly hooligan leanings)... Honestly, I've found my gas mileage to be very comparable with the 47.  I'd think the 17 tooth front would result in a smoother ride, too, if a much more sedate one.  

I do get not liking the 47 for extended highway runs, though.  Doesn't bother me at all, but it's definitely a bit buzzier, and you're running at higher RPM's (that part was a deliberate goal for me).  

I'd say, for Normal People, the stock gearing is really fine.  It's pretty smooth, with certainly good get-up-and-go.  

But me?  I finally don't miss my MT07 anymore 😃  

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I'd think the 17 tooth front would result in a smoother ride, too, if a much more sedate one.

If you were just riding highway miles the 17T wouldn't be too bad in the Mid-West or Florida, definitely not for anywhere with elevation changes or twisty riding where quick acceleration is necessary.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

I had read about using spacers to extend the screen from the mount to allow airflow behind the screen.  (possibly to eliminate a vacuum, dead air or buffeting? who knows).  Supposedly it is the same principal as screens that have slots cut in them to allow airflow.

I've heard of this being done for the reasons you've mentioned and am interested to hear of your findings.  I'll stay tuned.  Hope the arm is on the mend.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

I've heard of this being done for the reasons you've mentioned and am interested to hear of your findings.  I'll stay tuned.  Hope the arm is on the mend.

I have the 'Ball Mount Bracket' behind my screen with 25mm spacers fitted. Has just been that way for a while, done it for clearance of the phone to screen. Maybe I have additional benefits as well?

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
37 minutes ago, jdavis said:

I have the 'Ball Mount Bracket' behind my screen with 25mm spacers fitted. Has just been that way for a while, done it for clearance of the phone to screen. Maybe I have additional benefits as well?

Funny you should say that as I was looking at my setup today after the earlier post and it's the same arrangement as yours and I was wondering the same thing!

14 hours ago, WKE002 said:

I did not do anything to my Tracer today or yesterday, BUT TODAY onwards , i can/will do something with my Tracer GT, freshly delivered ! Looking forward to many rides and looking forward to contribution on these splendid forum and to those Guru's /Riders here, Thanks! , whom has contributed, look forward to absorbing more input. 

home.jpeg

What is that on the front wheel guard? Is it your reg. number? 

17 hours ago, betoney said:

I had read about using spacers to extend the screen from the mount to allow airflow behind the screen.  (possibly to eliminate a vacuum, dead air or buffeting? who knows).  Supposedly it is the same principal as screens that have slots cut in them to allow airflow.  Its worth a shot right? no risk, no reward.

I went to the hardware store and bought various spacers, washers, nuts and longer mount bolts, maybe $12 total.  I mixed them with existing parts from the hardware provided with the Parabellum Fly screen.  The spacers are 1" long.

image.png.26e78c8484807138931c3cb44055c5b1.png

I made an adjustable top holder to accommodate any length spacer I may end up using, but I don't see going longer than 1".  The rubber bumper was reused from the Parabellum hardware and has seen better days as it is cracked from the sun exposure.

image.png.fdc480cf99fab8e0565049c9bf351fe6.png

1" spacers installed and screen offset, allowing air underneath. 

image.png.b00ff596821a4604a141c3cc63ef8d73.png

I haven't been on the bike lately, recovering from surgery on my arm, so I wont get a chance to road-test it for awhile.  Worst cast scenario, I hate it and remove the spacers, it might take 5 minutes to put everything back to how I originally had it.  If I cant be out riding, at least I was able to play around in the garage today. 🤷‍♀️

I did this same thing with my Puig Touring screen and got zero benefit. Went back to stock hardware.

• Thumbsup 2