• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 51 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Stew said:

Here's a link to their uk page, which clearly states plug and play :)  Twice as loud, and it has a deeper tone. Obviously it's available in the USA :)

soundbomb_mini_2000x.jpg

The Denali SoundBomb Mini Motorcycle 113dB Horn is twice as loud as a...

I just added a second Fiam low tone horn and made a little harness that plugs into the stock plugs and splits for the two horns

I also developed a headlight modulator with kisan electronics for Yamaha LED headlights it's on their website now

20200718_194502.jpg

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
16 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Don't you mean one gear higher not lower

No, with his higher gearing he should be able to pull each gear longer (and achieve a higher speed in each gear) before needing to shift.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Today I installed the Amazon radiator guard and FJR style foot pegs.

Last week....Yamaha touring screen, then yesterday added a Puig clip-on deflector.  EBC front brake pads.

On deck; 

> Seat reshape, and foam/gel seat insert.

> Smart Turn brake module.

> Heli bar riser.

• Thumbsup 2

On 7/18/2020 at 2:00 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

Very Santo like I like to have after I change the sprocket and chain

Can you indicate where you trimmed the guide please and do you have the Tracer with the longer swingarm thus the longer 110 link chain?

The Tracer has a 118 link chain stock:

chainspec.thumb.jpg.fa91bd03fc0265e5ef0429aaa4b944bd.jpg

On 7/18/2020 at 4:51 PM, Nashtele said:

New member.  I purchased my bike late last year and finally got around to performing a host of changes I've been putting off...

• swapped out the silver shrouds and side panels for semi-matte black.

Where did you get the lower side panels, and what did they cost you?  I've wrapped mine in a matte black, but I'd kind of like to get a nice, matte black set of stock panels with all the badging.

11 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Where did you get the lower side panels, and what did they cost you?  I've wrapped mine in a matte black, but I'd kind of like to get a nice, matte black set of stock panels with all the badging.

I took the stock panels apart and sprayed them with Plasti Dip Luxury Metal Spray (Black Sapphire) with a light top coat of Plasti Dip 11212 Glossifier.  I sprayed over the tracer bashing which gives it a raised, “ghosted” look and I reattached the Yamaha emblem using 3M Super Strength Molding Tape.

I chose the Plasti Dip because it can be removed and doesn’t damage the original silver panel.  The Black Sapphire has a touch of metallic so it blended very well with the other pieces on the bike.  

Edited by Nashtele
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

The Tracer has a 118 link chain stock:

chainspec.thumb.jpg.fa91bd03fc0265e5ef0429aaa4b944bd.jpg

So +8 links over the FJ. At least they increased the slack to where it should be even for the shorter swing arm (which I have no issue with stability wise though bump response with the longer arm may be improved.  With my Razor R and fork mods I'm happy though.  I like the faster spin up and lower unsprung weight of a 520 chain and (rear) sprockets.

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, Nashtele said:

I took the stock panels apart and sprayed them with Plasti Dip Luxury Metal Spray (Black Sapphire) with a light top coat of Plasti Dip 11212 Glossifier.  I sprayed over the tracer bashing which gives it a raised, “ghosted” look and I reattached the Yamaha emblem using 3M Super Strength Molding Tape.

I chose the Plasti Dip because it can be removed and doesn’t damage the original silver panel.  The Black Sapphire has a touch of metallic so it blended very well with the other pieces on the bike.  

Ah ok, I thought you'd bought them like that. 

Yeah, mine are wrapped currently, I'm going to plastidip them whenever the wrap fails.  Wrapping gave an excellent result and I'm pretty happy with it, but the very sharp corners are really difficult and I'm not super-keen on doing it again.  Spraying on some PlastiDip would be a lot easier :)

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

Lots of little electrical gremlins in the past week. Got a SPOT device for my wife's peace of mind. Spent an hour on the phone with customer support because my online account locked when I registered the device. Had to create a whole new account. Tech support said that's never happened before. 

Sat down at the kitchen table to explore my new Garmin Zumo 396. It showed a full charge. After using it about 30 minutes, it suddenly shut down never to turn back on. Shipped it back to Garmin yesterday for a warranty exchange. Had to get special permission from them to ship it without completely extracting the wire harness off the bike to return the harness. It hasn't been plugged into the bike in a week so I don't think it's related to the dead battery on the bike.

Went to jump on the bike for a quick ride before work yesterday and the battery was DEAD - 9.2V. Probably my fault - it was 100 deg in the garage when I did the APS adjustment Sat and I'll bet I pinched a wire in my rush to drop the tank and put the plastics back on (well on the way to heat exhaustion after being outside all day).

Charged the battery yesterday on the bike, but it drained again in a few hours. Charged it off the bike and it looks like it's holding a charge. Now I'll start pulling my various wire harnesses to see which one is draining the battery. It's not a difficult job, but chasing wiring issues can take a while, and it's f***ing hot in the garage. 

Thanks for letting me gripe.

EDITED TO ADD: At lunch, I added accessories 1 by 1 back to battery. Definitely the GPS cable. Then I found where I pinched it at the back of the gas tank under the bracket that the seat tongue hooks on. Need to figure out if I pinched it anywhere else. 

EDITED EDITED: with the GPS sent back to Garmin and the heat, the only aftermarket accessory hooked up is the fog lights. Battery voltage is stable. Still need to investigate the Garmin harness when the weather cools off. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Sad 1

Forgot to post a photo of the Denali Soundbomb Mini fitted in place (sorry about the muck, it's been raining as usual here)

It's an optical illusion that it looks so close to the fork leg, there is a load of space there.

20200721_152714.jpg

Edited by Stew
(added explanation of placement)

I put on a black version of the SW-Motec engine protector/sump protector ( via Ebay... it was also cheaper than the Sw-motec one...  but the bolt holes were all... approximations, took some additional drill work to get everything to line up perfectly... ) Not 100% sure I am going to keep it on, but figure I'd try it.   The look is ok, I like it subtle and matches the Givi crashbars, and evotech radiator protector nicely. 

And the FJR pegs installed on both sides.   Also did work in the cockpit to get ready for a longer trip, added a techmount I had kicking around and put velcro on the plate so I can put random things on it (garage door opener most of the time for quick rides,  remote control for a GoPro some times, and really anything else I think of). 

20200721_220841505_iOS.jpg

Edited by Clegg78
  • Like 1

Realized my lousy service shop tightened my chain way too much.  Spec in book says it should be between 35-45mm and it’s less than 15!  And it seems out of alignment also.  I felt like there was more vibration and I hope there wasn’t any real damage done.  I can’t fix it until I get a socket big enough...27mm?  Ahhh.  They were doing a 4K service and did not do a throttle body sync because they said the diagnostic tool told them it wasn’t necessary.  Is that even possible?  I think they were just too lazy to do it.  Thoughts?

1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

They were doing a 4K service and did not do a throttle body sync because they said the diagnostic tool told them it wasn’t necessary.  Is that even possible?

Yes, on each tb. I doubt its far off this early in the game anyhow.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

Realized my lousy service shop tightened my chain way too much.  Spec in book says it should be between 35-45mm and it’s less than 15!  And it seems out of alignment also.  I felt like there was more vibration and I hope there wasn’t any real damage done.  I can’t fix it until I get a socket big enough...27mm?  Ahhh.  They were doing a 4K service and did not do a throttle body sync because they said the diagnostic tool told them it wasn’t necessary.  Is that even possible?  I think they were just too lazy to do it.  Thoughts?

Unfortunately, none of that is surprising.  Get the tools ASAP to fix the chain tension YOURSELF.  27mm socket is a 1/2" drive and the adjustment nuts are 12mm.  Also, dont trust the markings on the swingarm, get a chain alignment tool.

s-l400.jpg

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Motion Pro...

• Thumbsup 5

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, betoney said:

get a chain alignment tool...

And always remember to remove the chain alignment tool BEFORE trying to move the bike.   Don't ask me how I know this... 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 2