What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Riding to Canyonlands and Moab tomorrow (unless I dont and do something else... cause... thats how this trip has gone so far :) )   Planning for fuel stops  in the Needles area of Canyonlands is wild.   going down to the southern Needles visitors center requires a 20 mile detour to get gas! I had to break it out into 2 legs of 140 miles each, but doing 40-60mi of doubling back to get gas!    Good thing I was watching for that availability because that could be bad to realize you are going to run out of fuel in the middle of nowhere. 

• Thumbsup 3

Clegg, no matter how this ride goes  its gotta be better than last year.

No new oil pan required!

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

1 hour ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Scenery is just as awesome (hate that word), can't really see the town.

haha, it just looks like any mountain town :)  the scenery is the impressive part!  Tomorrow when I leave I'll grab a photo of main street. 

• Supporting Member
On 9/15/2022 at 11:26 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

Scenery is just as awesome (hate that word), can't really see the town.

I agree when used every 2nd word - usually by youths and in between a dozen or so 'like(s)', awesome loses its meaning (as does like).  But when referring to scenery like that then it's well, awesome. BTW that's how 'like' is meant to be used - and just the one for goodness sake. 😉

(Me - Another old man shouting at clouds)

• Haha 1

Have fun in Canyonlands.  I was there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.  I took a 0.9 mile hike, leaving my gear at the bike but wore my riding boots.  Took an almost full bottle of water with me and my Garmin inReach Mini.  It was hot and dry and by the time I got back to the bike I was vey hear heat exhaustion.  Drank a cold bottle of water that I had on the bike but did not drink the 3rd bottle of water as it was the last I had with me.  On the ride back felt a bit nauseous.  I'm an experienced hiker but wow that snuck up on me.

Moab was the first place I ate inside a resturant after everything shut down for the pandemic.  Had no planned on it but the smell of food got to me.  It was a steak place near the KOA that had great flatbread. 

• Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Have fun in Canyonlands.  I was there a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it.  I took a 0.9 mile hike, leaving my gear at the bike but wore my riding boots.  Took an almost full bottle of water with me and my Garmin inReach Mini.  It was hot and dry and by the time I got back to the bike I was vey hear heat exhaustion.  Drank a cold bottle of water that I had on the bike but did not drink the 3rd bottle of water as it was the last I had with me.  On the ride back felt a bit nauseous.  I'm an experienced hiker but wow that snuck up on me.

Moab was the first place I ate inside a resturant after everything shut down for the pandemic.  Had no planned on it but the smell of food got to me.  It was a steak place near the KOA that had great flatbread. 

Haha so I've stayed at that KOA and I walked to the same steak place you mention "Susies branding Iron"!   I am in downtown Moab this time.    It was a fun day, I hit up the Needles overlook, and Dead Horse Point.  I did Islands in the Sky years ago already so I wanted to check out the other places.    Also was able to cruise through Paradox Valley again for the first time in like 7 years.  I love that area so much. 

091522-1149-DSC07054-HDR.jpg

091522-1150-DSC07071-HDR.jpg

091522-1313-DSC07131-HDR.jpg

091522-1540-DSC07295-HDR.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

I had some very spirited riding coming out of Canyonlands area...   enough that on a pass around a spastic jeep (that was going 20 or 90... randomly) going into one of the 180* hair pin corners on the highway up to Canyonlands...  I leaned over and prayed the tires would stick... they did... but you can see the rubber looks a bit well used after today :)  And yeah the bike is dirty as sin, but... it is what it is :)

20220916_022458999_iOS.jpg

20220915_214857460_iOS.jpg

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 8
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Clegg78 said:

Haha so I've stayed at that KOA and I walked to the same steak place you mention "Susies branding Iron"!   I am in downtown Moab this time.    It was a fun day, I hit up the Needles overlook, and Dead Horse Point.  I did Islands in the Sky years ago already so I wanted to check out the other places.    Also was able to cruise through Paradox Valley again for the first time in like 7 years.  I love that area so much. 

091522-1149-DSC07054-HDR.jpg

091522-1150-DSC07071-HDR.jpg

091522-1313-DSC07131-HDR.jpg

091522-1540-DSC07295-HDR.jpg

I'll say it again Clegg - Awesome! 😮 👍

• Thumbsup 2

Today I rode out from Moab, and went on one of my favorite roads - Castle Valley (just N of Moab, SE of Arches)... just stunning.  I got half way through and realized I forgot to get gas in Moab before leaving... so I did a good bit of mileage math to see if I can get to near Grand Junction on my fuel... I filled up in Loma, CO with plenty left, but was on the verge of the reserve level.  3.8gal put back in :)  

Besides that I seemed to follow rain all day, didn't get rained on, but was on soaking wet roads most of the day.   I went up Douglas pass up to Rangely, co and then over to Steamboat from there.   all pics today were from the Innovv K3 and the GoPro I have on the bike today.

20220916_115534_F_Moment.jpg

2022-09-16_17-07-58.jpg

2022-09-16_17-23-10.jpg

2022-09-16_17-28-34.jpg

• Thumbsup 6

• Supporting Member
On 9/14/2022 at 9:04 PM, Clegg78 said:

Heres some pics of Telluride from today :) 

091422-1514-DSC07032-HDR.jpg

Sounds like a great ride. The landscape photos are just awes fantastic. 😎

Are you using a filter, or are the colours and shades just like that?

• Haha 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
On 8/2/2022 at 6:38 AM, OZVFR said:

...the mount I got from Italy...
2AA2D84A-2476-4325-BD70-679726651F21.thumb.jpeg.5c0cb8c57ef323a76d3f6bdf72aa1efd.jpeg

Would you have a link for this mount? I suspect that my AdventureTech bracket is killing lamps with vibration. It's L-shape and it oscillates a bit. Cheap lamps, so maybe that's that. 🤔

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif