{US} Tech Bulletin M2016-004 Cam Chain Tensioner Noise

mine has started rattling a fair bit now so i asked dealer to have a listen when its in for the handlebar recall, be interesting to see what they say but its defo got louder over the past few weeks. think i might just insist they change it anyway.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I called my local dealer about the handlebar riser recall, they looked up my VIN and told me there were 3 recalls, the handlebar riser one, the cam chain tensioner one and the shifter shaft one.

Yes, they called the cam chain tensioner issue a recall. I pointed out that I was out of warranty and they said it didn't matter. The paperwork they gave me when the work was done listed all 3 as recalls as well.

I was surprised by the shifter shaft as I was told when I bought the bike that it had already been done.

Anyone can send a link so can download the Tech Service Bulletin in English to replace the CCT? I'm not in US and will need to repair this myself as bike is a grey market purchase. Thanks. This should solve the rattling noise problem.

@elheffe There are pictures at the beginning of this thread of the actual TSB... also you should order a service manual if you will be doing maintenance yourself. That is all I am willing to contribute as I don't know what you mean by "grey market purchase".

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 3 weeks later...
I called my dealer when I got my letter about the handle bar recall. I gave them my vin # and they said something about the cam chain.They fixed it no questions asked.
Is this handlebar recall a global thing, and if so are there VIN or engine numbers to look out for? I'm collecting my 2016 today and I wouldn't trust the dealership to identify and fix any recall issues before I take delivery! 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I called my dealer when I got my letter about the handle bar recall. I gave them my vin # and they said something about the cam chain.They fixed it no questions asked.
Is this handlebar recall a global thing, and if so are there VIN or engine numbers to look out for? I'm collecting my 2016 today and I wouldn't trust the dealership to identify and fix any recall issues before I take delivery!
I really don't know if the handle bar recall is a global problem. I do know from your Vin # the dealer  will know what recalls your bike needs..

• 3 weeks later...
2015 FJ with about 4k miles, just starting getting noisy about a month ago ( sounds like valves when you are short on oil ). Had to bring the bike in for the handlebar recall today and they said they would listen/order the part. According to the service guy, Yamaha says they've had no failures due to this "noise", it's just an annoyance. Very annoying if you ask me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
2015 FJ with about 4k miles, just starting getting noisy about a month ago ....
I had 2 Kawasakis about 15 years ago.  Both of them sounded "clacky" like the Yamaha.  That was normal for Kwaks of that age.  Does you Versys making the same mechanical noises? 

• 1 month later...
It was a very noticeable change. The Versys had different noises and never sounded like that. It was such a change that it prompted me to insure oil levels were correct, I even changed the oil early. It sounded to me like a sticking valve would in a car.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Did anyone receive a recall notice for the cam chain tensioner? If you have it, any chance you could post it? My dealer now says my vin is listed, it had not been before when I asked. However, the part won't come in until the end of October. I'd like see what the letter says.

Thanks
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

From what I've read it seems like there have been a few different version upgrades on the CCT. Does anyone know what version we are on now and has it fixed the problem? I seem to recall reading that the second version didn't really fix the issue.

Mine is within the VIN range impacted but I haven't noticed any clatter. It has a very pronounced engine whine when cold but I guess that's normal?

Since mine isn't making any noise I'm content to wait for another "new version" if the latest hasn't resolved it.

Thanks!