{US} Tech Bulletin M2016-004 Cam Chain Tensioner Noise

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

38,000 and no unusual noise. ...  Not all FJs have this problem.
Mine also has no unusual noise at 12K miles. I hear a rattle for about 2 seconds after a cold start and then it quiets down. I figure it takes a few seconds to distribute the oil and that stops the rattle. 
I have been wondering if my FJ has already had some tensioner service because it has a white dot painted on it as shown in the photo. Does anyone know what the painted dot indicates?

Mine is a very early production unit and it has a white dot.  Means nothing.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

• Premium Member
Mine also has no unusual noise at 12K miles. I hear a rattle for about 2 seconds after a cold start and then it quiets down. I figure it takes a few seconds to distribute the oil and that stops the rattle. 
I have been wondering if my FJ has already had some tensioner service because it has a white dot painted on it as shown in the photo. Does anyone know what the painted dot indicates?

Mine is a very early production unit and it has a white dot.  Means nothing.
And I had such high hopes!

Just got a call from my local dealer regarding a warranty recall on my FJ's CCT (I was already in touch with them regarding a bent kick stand warranty issue). He specifically said this new recall is for my CCT. Not sure if he was confused with the service bulletin or if that changed to a recall. I will report back.

Does anyone out there who has received the CCT recall and gotten it repaired give me an idea of how long it took for your dealer to get the parts? I think I'm getting the run-around. I first spoke to my dealer about it about a month ago and his story is that the parts are still back-ordered. Anyone else experience this and if so, how long did you have to wait?

Does anyone out there who has received the CCT recall and gotten it repaired give me an idea of how long it took for your dealer to get the parts? I think I'm getting the run-around. I first spoke to my dealer about it about a month ago and his story is that the parts are still back-ordered. Anyone else experience this and if so, how long did you have to wait?
About 10-12 days iirc. End of June order, second week in July install. And no I didn't have to take it in so they could hear it. Input of VIN showed the "recall" for the FJ.

When I went to dealer he was not aware but checked and confirmed. He ordered and part arrived in a week. From memory late July-early August. There was no question and listening etc and I was told it was now a formal recall. He did mention that he had already ordered for other owners and there was a delay.

Note that there are two different CCT kits for different production years of the bike. Everyone that I've seen that reporting having the repair done has a kit #1 bike.  I haven't heard of anyone with kit #2 getting their bike done and my dealer is also saying the part is on backorder until late September. 

• Premium Member
Note that there are two different CCT kits for different production years of the bike. Everyone that I've seen that reporting having the repair done has a kit #1 bike.  I haven't heard of anyone with kit #2 getting their bike done and my dealer is also saying the part is on backorder until late September.
I was told by Yamaha customer service on 2016-09-12 that two Kit 1 CCT (one presumably is for my FJ-09) were being shipped this week...

I was planning to do a nice day trip this weekend, and just this morning on my way to work I heard the dreaded ticking sound under moderate acceleration (it is not there at steady pace). Confirmed with a local dealer that my VIN (buiild date October 2014) falls inside the lot affected by the TSB. I will take the bike in just to get my hands on the new tensioner, and then just install the APE hardware. I was dragging my feet on that project... but I am now fully motivated. :|
Why bother getting the revised part if you are just going to put the manual tensioner in yourself?

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

My dealer did not treat it as a "recall" at all. Wants me to bring it up there so they can listen to it and verify before putting in the warranty claim. We will see how this goes. If for some reason they decide the noise my cam chain tensioner makes is normal, I will be ordering an APE unit.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

My dealer did not treat it as a "recall" at all. Wants me to bring it up there so they can listen to it and verify before putting in the warranty claim. We will see how this goes. If for some reason they decide the noise my cam chain tensioner makes is normal, I will be ordering an APE unit.
You might TELL the asshat Dealer that if your VIN falls in the window, it's supposed to be replaced, period. No "bring it in so we can listen, we'll look at it if it fails, no I'm too lazy to spend 2 minutes on my computer to log-in to Yamaha's Dealer Website......" And Dealers wonder why no one likes or trusts them. Contact Yamaha N. America, turn your Dealer in.