{US} Tech Bulletin M2016-004 Cam Chain Tensioner Noise

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't read through the whole thread, but I was at the demo event near me today to ride the FJR.  Talked to the service tech and he said it is not a recall per-say but they will fix bikes with the issue.  They have to tear into it and see that it is the CCT and will replace it even beyond warranty at no cost.  It is only on a case base case basis it seems but they said they did have one in right now getting it done.  I'm at 8500 miles on mine bought last April and I've heard no noise that I've noticed.  I have had the clutch squeal twice which was a bit unnerving, but i'm hoping it is a very rare occurrence.  I commute as often as I can on the bike, and I have noticed recently the non start in the mornings again.  I've also noticed if I flick the kill switch off and then on first it seems to fire every time although it almost sounds like its not going to fire over.  

Had the TSB/Recall done on my bike a couple of days ago at the dealership.
At about 400 miles or so I noticed the noise. I thought it was clutch related, as the noise would almost go away when the clutch was pulled in at idle and after the engine warmed up. I mention the noise at first service and they said it was normal, and not to be concerned about it. I know have 10K miles on the bike and after having this done, that noise has gone away. It's very quite now at idle and pulling in the clutch only slightly changes the noise now. Big improvement, just hope it lasts. Seems pulling in the clutch was changing the load on the idling engine enough that the noise would subside until it was let out.

Just found this article, called my dealer to confirm recall, ordered APE manual CCT, dealer will install under the recall. I was going to do this anyway, just better now and have the dealer install so I don't have to do the labor.

So the dealer is going to put your APE into the CP3 engine v/s the "stock" new part?

That would be a good way to resolve this if Yamaha approved it. (I doubt they would, but it's cool that your dealer is going to get paid by Yamaha to do the work, and for the part they will just sell or use later for "Free" on some other CP3 engine.

Well.... took it into my Canadian dealer.... they listened to it and said "no noise".... so nothing done. But they kept the TSB "Pending" so if noise ever occurs in the future then action can be performed.

Well.... took it into my Canadian dealer.... they listened to it and said "no noise".... so nothing done. But they kept the TSB "Pending" so if noise ever occurs in the future then action can be performed.
Sorry for the bad luck... my dealer did the opposite. Didn't hear the noise but offered to go ahead and replace it since the VIN was in the range. Basically the mechanic took my word for it that I was getting intermittent chatter from the CCT.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Yup, I was a bit disappointed with how they handled it but they did explain that a TSB doesnt mean that action has to be taken unless there is a "need". It is not a recall so they are not obliged to do anything unless a noise is detected. They were not going to be pro-active. And I did give them extra business...... had them install the Yamaha heated grips, like you, thinking that they have it in the shop.... I'm spending money.... put in the new part. This is my first Yamaha in many years and I have to admit, I am not impressed with Yamaha corporate or dealer.... love the bike and will keep for many years. I had the left side plastic piece above the tank develop a crack about 6 months into the warranty and Yamaha Corporate wouldnt cover on warranty or goodwill..... they said it was cosmetic damage and that is not covered. I purchased a replacement piece for around $105 and replaced myself. I am assuming the corporate cost on that part was at most.... $45. And they wouldnt cover it. Bad customer support in my opinion. I even talked with Yamaha Corporate and explained the bike has never been hit, dropped, etc.... sent them pics and odometer reading (3500kms at the time) and .... nope.... we dont cover it. Acted like they couldnt care less if I was a customer or not. I also asked the mechanic about the APE CCTs and he even went so far as to say that if they saw one in there they would recommend removal. So long story short..... its still on my file if something ever makes noise or worse.... in the future. Love the bike and will keep for a long time hopefully but big business needs to learn how to better treat their customers. Because some of us make a ruckus for so long and then eventually.... we speak volumes by taking our money elsewhere. You listening Yamaha?

.... we speak volumes by taking our money elsewhere. You listening Yamaha?
Almost certainly [strong]not.[/strong] 

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
One would think that this is just "buttah" for a dealer. No "work" to get the job in their mech bay, and they have a happy customer. But I too have a dealer who said "Until it starts making noise we can't replace it".

I have a type 1 style tensioner in mine. With 1800 miles on the bike I would get some cam chain noise when the motor was heat sinked in high temps(ie air temps in the 90s and water temps in the 200's.) I could pull over for a few minutes, restart and get a subtle cam chain rattle. A few revs and moving down the road and cool down the bike and it would go away. I ended up having the dealer replace. No more noise.

I'll say it again- it is NOT the dealership's fault. Because it is a TSB and NOT a bulletin/recall, dealers cannot simply replace a tensioner that isn't making noise. They will NOT be paid by Yamaha for the cost of the parts and labor unless the repairs are justified.

And yes, they have ways of checking.

Sorry that upsets you, 502Mad. But your dealership is doing the right thing.

Skip

I'll say it again- it is NOT the dealership's fault. Because it is a TSB and NOT a bulletin, dealers cannot simply replace a tensioner that isn't making noise. They will NOT be paid by Yamaha for the cost of the parts and labor unless the repairs are justified.  
And yes, they have ways of checking.

Sorry that upsets you, 502Mad. But your dealership is doing the right thing.

Skip
I think you meant to say because it is a TSB and not a recall. 
Either way I see what you're saying, but... how does Yamaha corporate know whether a service tech heard the CCT noise or not?  The TSB doesnt specify anything about audio recordings, or even detailed procedures to verify the noise is present.  I think that if Yamaha really did have a way to know that service techs were truly checking for noise, we wouldn't have all these examples of dealers taking the owner's word for it.

I've started to get CCT noise pretty consistently, and I talked to two dealerships in my area.  One was unwilling to even order the parts until a technician could put a stethoscope to my bike to verify CCT noise.  The other was happy to order the parts and make an appointment without hearing the bike first. I'm sure you can guess which dealer will be getting my business going forward.