{US} Tech Bulletin M2016-004 Cam Chain Tensioner Noise

In reading through this thread, I certainly hope that my dealer just does this without asking if there is a "noise" from the cam chain.   This is a new bike for me and, while I can pick up bad sounds in a car very easily, this bike makes a lot more "new" noises than my old one.  I'm no noob as far as working on my own stuff but I couldn't tell you if it's the cam chain, regular chain, "unique triple noises", or the transmission making any of the noises on the bike.  Riding season is short up here so I will probably try the dealer in the next week or so and see if they will entertain this TSB and when they can do it.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In reading through this thread, I certainly hope that my dealer just does this without asking if there is a "noise" from the cam chain.   This is a new bike for me and, while I can pick up bad sounds in a car very easily, this bike makes a lot more "new" noises than my old one.  I'm no noob as far as working on my own stuff but I couldn't tell you if it's the cam chain, regular chain, "unique triple noises", or the transmission making any of the noises on the bike.  Riding season is short up here so I will probably try the dealer in the next week or so and see if they will entertain this TSB and when they can do it.
Yes this bike does have a few noises that are common, but not bad.  One of them is the loud clutch basket in neutral with the lever released.  As soon as you pull it in the noise goes away. 

• Premium Member
I just had my CCT replaced! I'd called my dealer, confirmed that my VIN was included, and asked to have the work done. At first the answer was "bring it in and we'll listen for the noise". I told them it was intermittent (which it was when I first called them), and that I was planning a long trip soon. They then said "no problem, we'll change it out". They ordered the part, I brought the bike in and it's done.

One additional note - I spoke with the mechanic, and he mentioned that as part of the TSB he had also replaced the right side rear head bolt. He wasn't sure why it was required but the new bolt came with the new CCT parts (I needed the Type 1 kit). So now I have one silver looking head bolt.

I hadn't heard anyone else mention the bolt replacement so thought I would pass this on.

My CCT noise, which had increased to the point that I stopped riding the bike until I could have it replaced, is gone. Everything seems to be working well. It was only about one week between my phone call and the actual CCT replacement.

I just had my CCT replaced! I'd called my dealer, confirmed that my VIN was included, and asked to have the work done. At first the answer was "bring it in and we'll listen for the noise". I told them it was intermittent (which it was when I first called them), and that I was planning a long trip soon. They then said "no problem, we'll change it out". They ordered the part, I brought the bike in and it's done.  
One additional note - I spoke with the mechanic, and he mentioned that as part of the TSB he had also replaced the right side rear head bolt. He wasn't sure why it was required but the new bolt came with the new CCT parts (I needed the Type 1 kit). So now I have one silver looking head bolt.

I hadn't heard anyone else mention the bolt replacement so thought I would pass this on.

My CCT noise, which had increased to the point that I stopped riding the bike until I could have it replaced, is gone. Everything seems to be working well. It was only about one week between my phone call and the actual CCT replacement.

My understanding is the bolt is of a different design to allow more oil to the CCT; at least that's what I was told by the SM at the Dealership that swapped out my CCT. 

any updates? should i be taking in my 15 FJ?
...asking your dealer not an option? If your VIN is on the hit list.... could be as simple as that, no?
why would i weanna ask my dealer when i have all of you awesome people to consult from the comfort of my own home? :D <3

• Premium Member
why would i weanna ask my dealer when i have all of you awesome people to consult from the comfort of my own home? :D <3
...got a point there...we should never underestimate the power of 3,000+ people with opinions. It almost always works out.  :D
Sure, at least one of us will be right, the question is how to figure out who it is........

I had my 4000 mi service done at my Lakewood Co. dealer, told them about the "Penny in a blender sound" coming from the lower right side of the bike. 30 mins later he found me in the showroom said they is a known issue on it and will call me when the part is in. Will be covered under warranty.

I just had my 4k miles service done and the recall done. I have noticed that the bike is running smoother and that noise is not there anymore. when I scheduled the drop off I mentioned the recall and they had the part ready for me. I scheduled about two weeks ahead.

I have not heard any noise from my cam chain but, being proactive is something I like to do. So I ordered a PSR brand, manual cam chain tensioner. It was about half the cost of the APE brand. I have used other PSR products that worked well. It is well made but, there are only about 2 threads showing once I adjusted it. I am regretting not ordering the APE brand and may end up changing it again. Just wanted to give someone else a heads up, to what I found. For those who think I over tightened it, I backed it out until the cam chain started to make noise then tightened it about 1/3 to 1/2 a turn and set the lock nut. If there was more adjustment, I would be ok with it. 

Kurt

• Premium Member
I have not heard any noise from my cam chain but, being proactive is something I like to do. So I ordered a PSR brand, manual cam chain tensioner. It was about half the cost of the APE brand. I have used other PSR products that worked well. It is well made but, there are only about 2 threads showing once I adjusted it. I am regretting not ordering the APE brand and may end up changing it again. Just wanted to give someone else a heads up, to what I found. For those who think I over tightened it, I backed it out until the cam chain started to make noise then tightened it about 1/3 to 1/2 a turn and set the lock nut. If there was more adjustment, I would be ok with it.  
Kurt
As long as it blocks the oil hole, it should be fine!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000