{US} Tech Bulletin M2016-004 Cam Chain Tensioner Noise

• Premium Member
My dealer did not treat it as a "recall" at all. Wants me to bring it up there so they can listen to it and verify before putting in the warranty claim. We will see how this goes. If for some reason they decide the noise my cam chain tensioner makes is normal, I will be ordering an APE unit.
You might TELL the asshat Dealer that if your VIN falls in the window, it's supposed to be replaced, period. No "bring it in so we can listen, we'll look at it if it fails, no I'm too lazy to spend 2 minutes on my computer to log-in to Yamaha's Dealer Website......" And Dealers wonder why no one likes or trusts them. Contact Yamaha N. America, turn your Dealer in.
Bruceintucson is right duhs10, they have to replace it regardless of whether it's failing or not. That dude is playing you for a fool just like many dealers have been doing to other fj owners. I have to wonder how much of peoples time these dipshits have wasted with this bring it in and will listen to it crap. I think you need to call this guy back and have another talk with him, and don't be so polite this time. 
BLB

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might TELL the asshat Dealer that if your VIN falls in the window, it's supposed to be replaced, period. No "bring it in so we can listen, we'll look at it if it fails, no I'm too lazy to spend 2 minutes on my computer to log-in to Yamaha's Dealer Website......" And Dealers wonder why no one likes or trusts them. Contact Yamaha N. America, turn your Dealer in.
Bruceintucson is right duhs10, they have to replace it regardless of whether it's failing or not. That dude is playing you for a fool just like many dealers have been doing to other fj owners. I have to wonder how much of peoples time these dipshets have wasted with this bring it in and will listen to it crap. I think you need to call this guy back and have another talk with him, and don't be so polite this time.

NEGATIVE. They do not have to replace unless its noisy!

That's why this is a Technical Service Bulletin. It's NOT a recall!

Skip

I have a "type 1" tensioner and had it make noise when restarting after a short shutdown in hot (+90) weather. The dealer replaced it with the revised unit that included the revised head cover bolt that enhances oil flow. We have 5K miles on it since the replacement and have had zero noise since, hot or cold. It did take them 3 days to get the parts and that was back in July when the TSB was first announced.

• Premium Member
Mine also has no unusual noise at 12K miles.
I had to go and jinx myself!  Now I hear it rattling at 13K miles. I'm going to order the APE manual tensioner from our new forum vendor

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Bruceintucson is right duhs10, they have to replace it regardless of whether it's failing or not. That dude is playing you for a fool just like many dealers have been doing to other fj owners. I have to wonder how much of peoples time these dipshets have wasted with this bring it in and will listen to it crap. I think you need to call this guy back and have another talk with him, and don't be so polite this time.

Skip
Wrong! The TSB from Yamaha says IF the FJ VIN # is in the # range for replacement, it needs to be replaced, period! I've read the TSB. 

• Premium Member

Skip
Wrong! The TSB from Yamaha says IF the FJ VIN # is in the # range for replacement, it needs to be replaced, period! I've read the TSB.
does anyone know what the range is for the VIN's that are impacted?

Skip
The interesting part is that dealers seem to be exercising their discretion on whether or not they verify the noise.  As I mentioned earlier, first dealer I talked to insisted on not only listening to the bike, but having a tech put a stethoscope to it to be SURE there was abnormal cam chain noise, before they would even order the parts.  Second dealer took my word for it and just ordered the parts and scheduled the service upon my first phone call to them.  Interestingly enough, after getting it done, their repair order said 'customer reported CCT noise', and nothing about them verifying it themselves... which leads me to believe that Yamaha doesn't really care how thoroughly it's been verified, and dealers are going out of their way to avoid doing it.

Skip

I guess you didn't notice that the TSB is posted at the start of this thread and anyone can read it for themselves, right?  It does not say what you say.

Page 2, top:

"Modify ONLY those units that exhibit the described abnormal noise..."

I guess you didn't notice that the TSB is posted at the start of this thread and anyone can read it for themselves, right?  It does not say what you say. 
Page 2, top:

"Modify ONLY those units that exhibit the described abnormal noise..."

Exactly my point.

Sorry, Bruce. You must be reading something different.

Yamaha may have changed it to a recall, but it has not come to my attention yet.

-S

• Premium Member
Just talked to the dealer (has my bike in for it's second CCT replacement at 1600 miles, parts have been back ordered), the new ship date I was quoted is Dec. 2cnd.
Wow, just crazy. APE it, and forget it!  
I did it 3 months ago and have never looked back.
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I would, but nervous about voiding the warranty.
I don't believe it voids the warranty in its entirety. I asked this question earlier in this thread and the consensus seems to be that it only voids the warranty if it is found to have caused whatever failure you are trying to make a warranty claim for. Of course, that isn't an official answer from Yamaha, but makes sense. Kind of like doing your own "recommended maintenance".

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA