{US} Tech Bulletin M2016-004 Cam Chain Tensioner Noise

Finally! So will we get letters in the mail, or do we just take it in and say it's been loud? 
@badger
From what my dealer's mechanic said, there's no official recall.  You have to take it in and ask about it.  However, it looks like the work can be done as warranty work (i.e. free to you) regardless of whether your bike is still currently under warranty (at least for the next 3 years). 
The mechanic remarked that they're going to have to order a bunch of these kits once the word got out.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
It appears that only about 4000 FJs in the US are affected. The bigger drain on their supply chain will be the FZ09s, of which there are almost 14000 affected.

Finally! So will we get letters in the mail, or do we just take it in and say it's been loud? 
@badger
From what my dealer's mechanic said, there's no official recall.  You have to take it in and ask about it.  However, it looks like the work can be done as warranty work (i.e. free to you) regardless of whether your bike is still currently under warranty (at least for the next 3 years). 
The mechanic remarked that they're going to have to order a bunch of these kits once the word got out.

Its funny what dealerships tell people... My local dealer told me it was a recall so who knows. I was up there looking at some accessories and decided to walk back to the service department to chat with him about the CCT. He immediately told me to come in the shop for a minute and showed me an order he had for another 2015 FJ-09 for the CCT and the paper clearly said "recall" next to the part ordered.

@rocky5000100 Regardless if Yamaha treats it like a full blown recall or not, I am a firm believer in personal responsibility. If you think you are having an issue, go initiate the conversation. Don't wait for Yamaha to contact you.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

I think I'll just go in. Dealer's get reimbursed at retail rate (i think) for it anyways, so they shouldn't have a problem performing it.

Jun 20, 2016 11:09:32 GMT -5 keithu said:
It appears that only about 4000 FJs in the US are affected. The bigger drain on their supply chain will be the FZ09s, of which there are almost 14000 affected.

I just looked at my VIN, and I'm one of the ones affected.

On a related note, do we know how many FJ09s were sold in the US and internationally?

I think I'll just go in. Dealer's get reimbursed at retail rate (i think) for it anyways, so they shouldn't have a problem performing it. 

They get reimbursed at flat rate, how long Yamaha decides the repair should take. With as many FZ and FJ 09s out there, larger dealers will be very happy to make these repairs.

The APE unit, and the Graves both "block" the oil feed hole with the body of the unit. There is not much oil in the early designs, thus the reason they modify it to get more oil flow, and the changes done without telling anyone about it during production do increase the amount of flow, but the manual CCT's both block that flow enough to make it a non issue.

You will have oil seeping/leaking past the housing, but not enough flow loss to cause a problem with low oil pressure.

If you change to a manual CCT, you would not want the valve cover bolt/spacer change, since you don't need any more oil to the APE/Graves CCT's.

• Premium Member
Indeed. Perfect replacement and quiet....sssshhhh. 

http://yamahazone.biz/tensioners.html

fz09.jpg
Clint, what did you do to address the blocking off of the oil supply issue?
Nothing, it's built into the design. See how the body of the unit extends further down into the hole? That effectively blocks the oil supply. I'm totally happy my decision. It's was an easy install (45 min including beers), it's quiet, no more worrying about it and if it needs adjusting in maybe 10,000 miles...5 minutes to adjust. 
y5ynytab.jpg
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

can i get an assist in interpreting the VIN ranges? It looks to me like the VIN ranges have 7 numbers and mine appears to only have six???? Drop off the first zero? somewhat confusing.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

can i get an assist in interpreting the VIN ranges? It looks to me like the VIN ranges have 7 numbers and mine appears to only have six???? Drop off the first zero? somewhat confusing.

I had the same thought.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Its funny what dealerships tell people... My local dealer told me it was a recall so who knows.
I called my dealer today to check on the status of the part order and they said it's officially a recall now.  When I brought the bike in they had just received the TSB the day prior and I guess had not yet been notified that Yamaha were doing an actual recall for it. 
In any case, no word on when the parts are expected yet, Yamaha is obviously going to have to send a lot of these kits out.

In the meantime, my rattle is getting pretty bad, to the point where I'm getting concerned about it.