FJ09 Reliability

I recently purchased a 2015 FJ09 and afterwards I started viewing this forum.  To tell you the truth, after reading all the post to this forum concerning tight valves, cam chain tensioners, low compression after low milage, chain adjustment issues, etc. I wondering if I made the right decision.  I enjoy riding the FJ09, but if this motorcycle is less reliable than the Honda VTX 1300 I previously owned, I'm wondering if I should have listened to my riding buddies and purchased another more modern Honda, which Honda does not compete in this class (900 to 1000 CC  sports tourers) of sports touring motorcycle, or maybe even purchased a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 which has a great reliability record and my 2nd choice for the type of riding I do.  

By reliability I mean easy/cheap to maintain, no major repairs required, and the ability to easily last 80 to 100 thousands miles without a major overhaul or re-build.  What has been your ownership experience with the (2015 - 2017) Fj09.

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
By reliability I mean easy/cheap to maintain, no major repairs required, and the ability to easily last 80 to 100 thousands miles without a major overhaul or re-build.  What has been your ownership experience with the (2015 - 2017) Fj09. 
Thanks
My ownership experience with my 2015 FJ-09 meets your expectations. I have had to repair nothing in 29K miles. I have done maintenance, like checking the valve clearances and replacing the chain. My valve clearances were still within factory specs at 24.6K miles. I opted to install the manual cam chain tensioner because there was a service bulletin, but my original CCT was not noisy.  
I don't go and talk about my lack of troubles unless asked, as you have done. Those with problems are much more likely to post about them, and then you read the posts and get the impression that the bike has a lot of problems when it is really just a few. Such is the nature of internet forums.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
I have had my FJ-09 since 2015, and have not had any significant maintenance/repair issues. I think when you join a forum like this, it can be for one of a few reasons.

1) Interested in the bike, want more information
2) Love the bike, want to join a community of like minded folks
3) Bought the bike, need advice - especially if things are going wrong for you and/or the bike

In the 4 years I've been on the forum, I have heard of many issues other riders have had, almost none of which I experienced myself. The bike is wicked fun to ride, easy to take care of by a reasonably handy person, and for me, extremely reliable.

It is certainly possible you could buy a bike that has mechanical issues, but there is no guarantee that you wouldn't get that if you bought a Honda or Suzuki. I can't guarantee you will have a trouble free life if you buy the FJ-09, but I can say with certainty, you will not get off the bike without a smile on your face. And my experience has been as trouble free as any bike I've ever owned.

By reliability I mean easy/cheap to maintain, no major repairs required, and the ability to easily last 80 to 100 thousands miles without a major overhaul or re-build.

Easy/cheap to maintain: check No major repairs required: check
Last 80-100 thousand miles: no idea
Lots of smiles when riding: check
Reliable: check
Farkleable: check
Overall good purchase: check

Not a bad report card I’d say. ?

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
My 2015 has been totally reliable over 22,000 miles. The only time it let me down was when the clutch cable broke about 4 miles from my house. Replaced under warranty. 

I have it serviced at the dealership. More expensive, but not a major concern for me. I have the ability to do any of the standard services excluding the valve clearance, but not the desire.

I will point out that at my last service (20,000 mile) the Technician did replace my CCT at his own discretion. With no charge to me. I had been keeping an ear on it so to speak and didn't find it to be particularly noisy.   

As pointed out, The accessories market for this particular model is quite large. A big plus in my mind.

I find it near perfect for the varied riding that I do. From be-bopping around town to 2-3 week road trips on the smaller (non-Interstate) roads that I like to travel 

Yes there have been major failures, which all bikes will have, but most of us here haven't had anything but minor problems, and there hasn't been a lot of those as far as I can tell.

I'm very satisfied with my experience with it.

As always. YMMV

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

While I've no major issues with my FJ, I don't view Yamaha's as being the most reliable Japanese brand. I do however, think Yamaha is more reliable than European brands. I didn't buy my bike for reliability, just fun.

'15 FJ09

My 2016 FJ-09 is @ 92000 miles.
The bike has been absolutely stellar in terms of reliability, especially the engine seems a gem and most parts are solid and well designed.
The bike has a number of issues and weak points, but no serious flaw which can’t be improved or fixed.
Two things may cause a breakdown: the clutch cable will snap (replace with the revised design asap ), and low ground clearance + exposed oil pan (add a skid plate).

Thanks for the great and positive responses.  I really appreciate the information you are providing.  I did buy my FJ09 for fun, but reliability and dependability are more important because when the sports touring fun is over you need your bike to take you home and be ready to ride another day. 

Again.. thanks for the great responses 

I recently purchased a 2015 FJ09 and afterwards I started viewing this forum.  To tell you the truth, after reading all the post to this forum concerning tight valves, cam chain tensioners, low compression after low milage, chain adjustment issues, etc. I wondering if I made the right decision.  I enjoy riding the FJ09, but if this motorcycle is less reliable than the Honda VTX 1300 I previously owned, I'm wondering if I should have listened to my riding buddies and purchased another more modern Honda, which Honda does not compete in this class (900 to 1000 CC  sports tourers) of sports touring motorcycle, or maybe even purchased a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 which has a great reliability record and my 2nd choice for the type of riding I do.   

Thanks
I have owned from new three (3) MT-09 Tracers, an early 2015 then 2 x '16s.   FWIW - I change bikes like some folks change underwear!   Would have put a total of no more than a total of about 25,000km on all three of them, and never had a single issue of any kind.   I did farkle each of them up to a degree, especially #3 as by this time aftermarket parts and accessories were abundant and inexpensive.   Not a perfect bike by any means , but excellent value for money, especially as down here in Oz the hard panniers were included with the new bike.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I suspect if you go to the web forum for any new motorcycle you'll find a lot of discussion about troubles. That's really the purpose of a forum like this.
A percentage of users on any bike forum are, shall we say, a bit obsessive compulsive about their rides. Which is fine.  These folks are usually on the cutting edge of performance and farkling. Just don't take their postings as gospel. 
If you take to heart everything you read here,  you'll be convinced you immediately need: new front and rear suspension, an ECU flash, after market exhaust system, R1 brakes, different seats, a new windscreen, different hand guards (or none), a cut down oil pan, crash bars, a manual timing chain tensioner and, that your FJ might be making strange sounds or smells!

It's all good and for some riders the case. But the truth is the little FJ is a pretty good performer for most of us straight out of the box, and gets it done on a daily basis mile after mile.  It has few recalls (compared to Ducati, BMW, etc.) and is a blast to ride.

I learn from our more demanding FJ brothers, and respect their skills. But I don't necessarily believe I need to heavily modify my 2016 to make it more fun to ride. It already can scare me in stock trim.

Ride on in peace!

cb
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
If you take to heart everything you read here,  you'll be convinced you immediately need: new front and rear suspension, an ECU flash, after market exhaust system, R1 brakes, different seats, a new windscreen, different hand guards (or none), a cut down oil pan, crash bars, a manual timing chain tensioner and, that your FJ might be making strange sounds or smells!

It's all good and for some riders the case. But the truth is the little FJ is a pretty good performer for most of us straight out of the box, and gets it done on a daily basis mile after mile.

^^Very True^^ 

The FJ / Tracer is a very versatile platform that does a lot of things very well.  Your intended purpose and needs for the bike will determine what you want to personalize.

You can build it up for a tourer, strip it down for a sport ride or leave it as is for general riding.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
My FJ-09, except for the side panels under the seat that were redesigned, has been flawless for 50,000 miles. It's taken me clear across the country several times and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to head out right now and do it again. I need to win the lottery or have a long lost rich uncle leave me a fortune.... My 2015 even has its original clutch cable. You know the one the forums say will snap if you look at it sideways.

Let’s go Brandon

Archived