2021 GT Updates

Darold

On 3/17/2021 at 9:20 AM, 1moreroad said:

Seriously, I'm really interested in this bike to eventually replace mine, but only because I don't have to look at it. 

Yeah, the asymmetric front lights and the Wall-E dash will take some getting used to, but I'm with you 90% of the way wrt you don't see it when you ride it. But... there is 10% of me that really wants to like the look of the bike I'm about to ride. And I must confess to looking at my bike parked outside of where-ever I'm at and going, "dayamm" that looks nice. Frankly it inspires you to ride more.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? I'll bet most people think they are riding a thing of beauty - me included. But in reality there are a lot of dogs out there.

Having said all that, I think I'll end up getting one. I'm just wondering whether it's worth waiting for the 2022 model since this is such a new machine compare to the 2020 that it's bound to have a few kinks and bugs to work out.

• Thumbsup 3

On 3/17/2021 at 7:50 AM, Clem Fandango said:

Still with the same crummy mirrors I see. That's a bummer.

But mirrors are pretty cheap to upgrade, right? It's the bones of the machine that really count.

• Thumbsup 3

4 hours ago, BBB said:

Review in English

Yamaha-Tracer-9-01.jpg

Read our expert, in-depth Yamaha Tracer 9 review - a fine sports-tourer that...

I think this paragraph sums up the dash:

"The split 3.5" TFT is a sound idea, with trip customisation data on the right and tacho and other figures on the left, but the display is set too far forward for taller riders, is hard to see in the sun and is an instant dust-trap."

Dust trap - ugh. There goes my OCD.

I've already reached out to Speedo Angels - and as soon as they can get into a bike shop they will and get a template made up for the dash. I've basically pre-ordered mine. 🙂

Rob 

• Like 1

• Supporting Member

Has anyone else gone to their local dealership and asked about availability?  I was at the local shop today asking about the new MT09 and Tracer 9 GT and was told by the owner that they don't know when they will be arriving but expect it to be later in the Spring than originally planned.  He said they were having a hard time getting inventory period, as I looked around, I noticed the showroom was half full at best. 

Last year they were selling the Tenere 700 as fast as they could get them and would re-order and sell out again, this year they put in a request for 30 Tenere 700's over the next 6 months and were told not to expect any.  Infact he said they were going to have a demo days this year but don't have the inventory to sell in support of a demo event so they cancelled it this year. 

Anyone else hearing similar news at their dealership?

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

Has anyone else gone to their local dealership and asked about availability?  I was at the local shop today asking about the new MT09 and Tracer 9 GT and was told by the owner that they don't know when they will be arriving but expect it to be later in the Spring than originally planned.  He said they were having a hard time getting inventory period, as I looked around, I noticed the showroom was half full at best. 

Last year they were selling the Tenere 700 as fast as they could get them and would re-order and sell out again, this year they put in a request for 30 Tenere 700's over the next 6 months and were told not to expect any.  Infact he said they were going to have a demo days this year but don't have the inventory to sell in support of a demo event so they cancelled it this year. 

My local dealership sold out of T7's basically as soon as they got them, and I haven't seen new ones there since.  I've wanted to get out on a demo on one, but they've said they have no idea when more will arrive.  

Sales are super strong this year - I'm gonna guess it's people looking for fun stuff to do during The Plague that entails less close contact.  Roads are absolutely packed with bikes now, way more than normal, and the used section of my local dealership is a ghost town.  They usually have a bunch of bikes in there, but they've been selling like hotcakes, and the local guys said it's mostly due to a *lot* of new bike buyers not trading in old bikes. 

On 3/18/2021 at 8:05 AM, BBB said:

Review in English

Yamaha-Tracer-9-01.jpg

Read our expert, in-depth Yamaha Tracer 9 review - a fine sports-tourer that...

Interesting review but I do have to question the comment about the cost relative to the BMW.  It was very true when I bought and don't see any change but the BMW similarly equipped is much more expensive than the Tracer 9GT.  I haven't priced a Triumph but have to wonder about it as well.  Comments about the dash were well founded.  In the writeup about the handling they talk about how good it is but then only give it 4 stars.  I went back and looked at the review of the BMW F900XR and it was overall of 5 or 5 must be because of what they called the value versus its rivals at the time - they specifically mention that it holds it value better than the Tracer.  Well guess maintenance costs don't factor in.

I've noticed this type of review many times over the years and wonder about this review as well.  I found my 2020 Tracer GT to be different than many of the reviews and the car I recently bought has turned out to be much better than many of the reviews as well.  In my experience writers have many biases and too often do no even admit those to themselves.

I have found the Tracer community to be a great bunch of folks.  People interested in motorcycles and riding and willing to help each other out.  It is one of the best online groups I have been in.

• Thumbsup 4

3 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I've noticed this type of review many times over the years and wonder about this review as well.

It's a press released canned review, it's worth practically nothing in terms of actual bike experience.

• Thumbsup 2

3 hours ago, kilo3 said:

It's a press released canned review, it's worth practically nothing in terms of actual bike experience.

@kilo3 is absolutely right. Motorcycle mags are beholden to their advertisers, who are mostly motorcycle manufacturers such as Yamaha.

While we can sometimes glean a few tidbits from such reviews, they pale in comparison compared to what forums such as this offer. While I suspect that many of us are biased towards the tracer, and we want it to be a good machine, that doesn't stop actual owners with real riding experience telling us how it truly is.

So while the reviews are generally positive thus far and the spec sheet looks promising, it'll be what I read here that will determine whether I plonk down my hard-earned buckaroos on a 9GT.

Or as @PhotoAl puts it:

7 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I have found the Tracer community to be a great bunch of folks.  People interested in motorcycles and riding and willing to help each other out.  It is one of the best online groups I have been in.

which is spot on.

• Thumbsup 2

On 3/19/2021 at 9:40 PM, betoney said:

Yep same story. With all the oems. My local shop just got a massive shipment of groms and I thought it was kind of a dick move to send 10 groms right before a refresh, but the sales guy says nah they’ll be lucky to get 3 new groms. They’ll have no problem selling the 10 “old gen.” They have one definitive to be delivered tracer 9 with a deposit already and I have a deposit one of the 2 additional ones they have on official order but currently sit with no due date. 

14 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

...I really want a Grom.  I can't really justify the spend, but I don't care, I want one.  Being a 6'4" 300lb guy, it's almost cruelty to ride something like that, but they're super fun. 

I want one too. Weird attraction, no good reason. Still want one.

• Thumbsup 1

19 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Being a 6'4" 300lb guy, it's almost cruelty to ride something like that, but they're super fun. 

I'm getting a little OT here, but speaking of large guys on small bikes... these dudes tried to convince us they were riding all the way up the California coastline on these Grom pre-cursors. We almost believed them for a coupla minutes. Sometimes you meet the strangest and nicest people on the one ride :-)

IMG_0547.jpeg

Edited by ZigMerid
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

...I really want a Grom.  I can't really justify the spend, but I don't care, I want one.  Being a 6'4" 300lb guy, it's almost cruelty to ride something like that, but they're super fun. 

Off-topic, but...  In between the Trail 70 and the Grom, we had YSR50s.   Lots and lots and lots of YSR50s... 

CMRA_YSR_OakHill_4-14-1996.thumb.jpg.2b9032f58631d6dc20f559649e51e943.jpg

HoH_YSR_Marc_Mike_Scott.thumb.jpg.9ffbef91caac78cb06dcc2dad55b62c8.jpg

HoH_YSR_Scott_Budget.thumb.jpg.d1be3a873a0012daf1a13d0b9d2108f2.jpg

Personally, I really want a Monkey.  With a bunch of upgrades.  And a hidden bank account, so my wife doesn't know that I have $10K+ invested in a minibike...   :)

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1