2021 GT Updates

Darold

1 hour ago, craz1 said:

When I bought the 2020 the sales person said that one should be there in May. I can talk to them probably today as they should have my 2020 brake switch changed out.

I think I looked at your bike back in October when I was waiting to hear more about the '21. Currently trying to get a dealership on the other end of the lake to to bring one in and they have been saying May as well, last time I went in was on the 1st. Let us know what you hear!

• Thumbsup 1

This bike is on my short list for a sport tourer.  I had a '15 FJ-09 a 19 Tracer. Each version was better than the last one.  I like the dash and looks of the bike.  I'm looking for to the electronic suspension upgrade.  

• Thumbsup 3

I was informed yesterday that the 2021 Tracer 9 GT I ordered may be in in May rather than July.

I will be trading in my FZ1 because the offer was close to what I could sell it for but without the hassles.

• Thumbsup 1

Get excited everyone....

I rode an 2021 MT09 with the new engine design the other day, any of you fortunate to have one of these or the Tracer 9 on order are in for a treat.

Yamaha really made some nice improvements. It will be worth the wait...

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 3
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, OldBikers said:

I was informed yesterday that the 2021 Tracer 9 GT I ordered may be in in May rather than July.

I will be trading in my FZ1 because the offer was close to what I could sell it for but without the hassles.

LMK when you do your first extended ride on the T9 north...

As I IMd U, I'm headed north Sunday with a bud to meet the Really Old Guy who's fast as heck and knows all the really good roads.

8 hours ago, oregonian said:

Anybody have a clue whether or not the new wheels will fit on the old bikes?  They look great and must be significantly lighter if they are indeed forged.

Think they are still cast but use a spin forging process in the manufacture.  Lighter and strong, 2mm vs 3.5mm according to what I saw.  Not sure how they would handle potholes though.  Below is an article I found on the process - now you can be as smart as me haha.

ogp_img.jpg

The First Spinforged Wheels for Mass-Production Motorcycles

4 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I'm all for lightness, but there have been many pothole damaged rims on many forums through the years with the old tech.

5 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Think they are still cast but use a spin forging process in the manufacture.  Lighter and strong, 2mm vs 3.5mm according to what I saw.  Not sure how they would handle potholes though.  Below is an article I found on the process - now you can be as smart as me haha.

ogp_img.jpg

The First Spinforged Wheels for Mass-Production Motorcycles

As far as I can tell what Yamaha is calling spin forged, everyone else calls flow forming. And it does indeed result in lighter and stronger wheels. Not that they’ll be immune to pot holes but I’d rather have lighter flow formed wheels than heavier cast even if resilience is the only consideration. I have oem cast 18” wheels on my car for the winter and aftermarket 19” flowformer  wheels for the summer. The 19s have obviously less side protecting them and have held up perfectly against north east portholes compared to my oem cast wheels that have had to be reshaped a few times 

• Thumbsup 1