2021 GT Updates

Darold

• Premium Member

In viewing the below ride test video (see prior to minute 1:50) of the 21 MT-9, I noticed Yamaha revised the right side clutch basket cover to include a molded-in guard for the clutch arm actuator which appears to protect the tension retainer nub for the arm return spring; something that could easily snap off of the old cover (replaced on mine under warranty but I safety wired tensioned the spring until it was).

I like the new Tracer 9 but until my 15 FJ is ground to dust...and by then, if I can still physically ride, there will be another updated to consider; or a CanAm Spyder LOL.

2021-Yamaha-MT-09-First-Ride-Review-Lead

We review the heavily-updated 2021 Yamaha MT-09! An all-new 890cc CP3...

On 3/30/2021 at 9:06 PM, PhotoAl said:

I was out Saturday and stopped by a dealer.  They still had a 2020 Tracer GT and had it marked full price, had a used Tracer 900 and a FJ09 as well.  Think they would have come down but apparently not much.  Not sure what their plans for the 2021s are.  

It is perplexing - my local dealer is the same way. Still has 2019 non-GT, 2019 GT and 2020 GT. There are some discounts but nothing major - certainly not enough to dissuade me from ordering a 2021. 

Rob

Back in February or March of 2016 I bought a new 2014 Kawasaki ZX6R 636.  I got a great price on it from the dealer in Albany GA.  At that time there were dealers around that had new 2014s with barely any discount.  Couldn't figure out why but some dealers just don't discount old new bikes.  I could actually see the 2014 ZX6R as there were no changes to the 2016 other than some colors but the 2020 Tracer GT is being replaced by a new model!  Maybe they are thinking that the new one is more expensive and someone may still prefer the 2020 which at this point might not be a bad play.  2021 bike is $15,500 but here is the older one for $2,500 less.

• Thumbsup 2

15 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

So wierd.  Hell, the 2020's weren't even out yet (Nov 2019) when I got my 2019 GT for 12k Canadian.  Makes me feel like I got a screaming good deal.

How is the new bike market in Calgary? I find it very unforgiving here in SW Ontario. Especially anywhere near the Greater Toronto Area. 

9 hours ago, rlambke19 said:

How is the new bike market in Calgary? I find it very unforgiving here in SW Ontario. Especially anywhere near the Greater Toronto Area. 

Right now it's super tight.  Usually it's pretty good, particularly in the off months, but seems everyone is getting new bikes right now.  There's basically nothing marked down at all and dealers pretty much laugh at you if you try to haggle... if they have the bike you want in the first place anyways.

1 hour ago, Wintersdark said:

but seems everyone is getting new bikes right now

You have to wonder whether the situation will be reversed in 6-12 months from now when presumably most of the world gets vaccinated and starts to return to the old "normal".

Are there going to be a zillion "keep-me-entertained-during-COVID" motorbikes and campers and mountainbikes and surf skis and stand-up paddle boards and rolls of toilet paper that suddenly become surplus to requirements?

I'm thinking the market for "distraction" toys is really going to slump at that time so I plan to wait it out and see what happens.

Yes, there are a lot of "if", "buts" and "maybes" in that, but I figure humans will revert to their mean. Most of these newbie motorbike riders are going to climb back onto their treadmill of life and get tired of tripping over the motorbike taking up space in their garage. 

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member

Just got my son a used bike. Around here the used bike market is crazy high right now. Darn tax returns and stimulus checks. I was patient and found a decent deal though. 

• Thumbsup 4

Let’s go Brandon

Yeah, there probably will be a glut of used bikes and other power equipment, though I'd expect it to lag a few years behind.

People who don't really stick with motorcycling usually keep their bike for a couple years just sitting in their garage before giving up on it.  A year of new rider enthusiasm, then a year or two of taking it out a handful of times on really nice days, then a year or two where it never sees the sun before either the SO demands it goes or they want to make some other major purchase.  

I hope there is.  I'd love to get a cheap dual sport to have summer and winter bikes, and something to hoon around offroad on.  :)

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

Yea, I'm wondering what it will be like trying to take a trip this summer.  I want to do a long trip but wonder if there aren't a lot of folks who have been cooped up and want to go on an adventure.  I usually tent camp at KOAs and outside of holiday weekends there aren't that many folks who want to sleep in a tent - my wife refuses so I go with all my best buds - that would me me me and me!  I think a couple of years from now there will be a better used bike market but hard to say how the post pandemic world will look.  Folks have had time to get out of the rat race and sit at home and think folks will not be as crazy busy as before but will want to have more time to relax.  Will be a lot of folks who know working from home works and will not want to do the commute thing.  Once companies realize they can have less office space and happier employees then working from home will be more common.  My former co-workers have not worked in the office for over a year and don't expect to be back in the office till mid year at the earliest.  

• Thumbsup 1

On 4/2/2021 at 8:22 AM, micah2074 said:

Just got my son a used bike. Around here the used bike market is crazy high right now. Darn tax returns and stimulus checks. I was patient and found a decent deal though. 

What did you get him?

Rob

14 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Yea, I'm wondering what it will be like trying to take a trip this summer.  I want to do a long trip but wonder if there aren't a lot of folks who have been cooped up and want to go on an adventure.  I usually tent camp at KOAs and outside of holiday weekends there aren't that many folks who want to sleep in a tent - my wife refuses so I go with all my best buds - that would me me me and me!  I think a couple of years from now there will be a better used bike market but hard to say how the post pandemic world will look.  Folks have had time to get out of the rat race and sit at home and think folks will not be as crazy busy as before but will want to have more time to relax.  Will be a lot of folks who know working from home works and will not want to do the commute thing.  Once companies realize they can have less office space and happier employees then working from home will be more common.  My former co-workers have not worked in the office for over a year and don't expect to be back in the office till mid year at the earliest.  

I fall into the remote working for over a year now category (I manage an IT team) and it has worked really well - especially as my team is made up of mostly introverts who love being able to work while not being pestered by people standing at their desks.

As for trips - I have no idea what it will look like this summer. We usually ride from Ontario into PA and NY state - but likely still out of the question this year - certainly not with the current border situation.

Hoping to get out for a few overnighters in June once I have the new T9 broken in, but we'll see. Once it arrives of course!

Rob 

On 3/31/2021 at 7:39 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

In viewing the below ride test video (see prior to minute 1:50) of the 21 MT-9, I noticed Yamaha revised the right side clutch basket cover to include a molded-in guard for the clutch arm actuator which appears to protect the tension retainer nub for the arm return spring; something that could easily snap off of the old cover (replaced on mine under warranty but I safety wired tensioned the spring until it was).

I like the new Tracer 9 but until my 15 FJ is ground to dust...and by then, if I can still physically ride, there will be another updated to consider; or a CanAm Spyder LOL.

2021-Yamaha-MT-09-First-Ride-Review-Lead

We review the heavily-updated 2021 Yamaha MT-09! An all-new 890cc CP3...

I have thought of the CanAm Spyder as my next bike for a while.  My wife is starting to get jealous of my motorcycle trips and although she won't ride on the bike or camp perhaps she would like a CanAm Spyder.

6 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

perhaps she would like a CanAm Spyder.

I know you can carry a passenger in a side-car, but that totally compromises the motorbike and is dangerous to boot.

Question: Is it legal to carry a passenger in a motorbike trailer? Less compromise to the motorbike handling and easily disconnected when travelling solo. And way more fun to ride than a Spyder trike thingie.

Yes, a little tongue-in-check, but motorbike rules are so weird and wonderful in different parts of the world that it might just be legal somewhere...

• Thumbsup 1