Turn Signal Options

Shizzle

image.jpeg.ad1e6bac8d2313155c43a137d37e6817.jpeg

so I’m making these into LED lights on my hand guard covers.  I have a small strip that has yellow and white.  I’m not concerned with legalities really, but i could wire it so that white is running lights and still have yellow as the signal, or I could keep it all yellow.  Just looking for opinions on why one might be better than another.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ddog gt said:

Yamajank, been wanting to do this Sence I got the bike. Looks good. Any info on how would be most appreciated. I would go all amber.

I made a template on the back according to the most length I could get and what seemed like it would let enough light through.  Experimented with more smaller holes and ended up going with 9, 1/4" holes.  (It's a $30 part if you mess up)  Then filled the holes with clear JB Weld to make a "lense" effect.  I'm not sure I'll get to wiring it all up until it's a little warmer, but will certainly update when I do. I'm kind of excited.  I think it's going to be pretty cool.

What I need to determine now is how to wire the new turn signals that are replacing the old.  They only have two wires.  So I'm guessing I have to choose between having them be only turn signals or only driving lights.  But maybe those two wires can be tied together and not short something out.  Does anyone know how the driving light and turn signal wiring works?  I assume there needs to be the third wire so that the blinker function can operate properly.

Edited by Yamajank
  • Thumbsup 1

Thanks for the reply. On my K1600 GT when I had it, I had amber running lights and when I would ride in a group everyone said they always knew where I was because of the amber lights. For myself I would keep the turn singles and add this mod. As it would add great visibility. I want people to know where I am and what my intentions are.

• Thumbsup 1

Yep, the driving light is a 3rd wire in the 3 pin connector in the front. Same connector for the rear turn signals just missing the 3rd wire and pin. Turn signals on motorcycles have to be amber to be legal in the US. You could also just add adhesive strip LED's to the existing hand guards. Something like this would work great on the hand guards

$_62.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Find great deals for 1 Pair Bright Amber LED Fork Strips Turn...

Edited by Shizzle

Great idea, I like the holes, like the thought of a smooth exterior but the stick on way is not bad either.  Like having amber lights and turn signals up there  - more ways I'm visible the better IMO.  I've got a couple of strips for my sidecases to add running and brake lights and thinking about an amber turn signal strip as well - Would all have to be stick on though. OEM tail light is not bad but kind of small when thinking about riding at night - which I don't do very often.  But have lots of miles in all kinds of rain which is another visibility concern.

12 hours ago, Shizzle said:

Yep, the driving light is a 3rd wire in the 3 pin connector in the front. Same connector for the rear turn signals just missing the 3rd wire and pin. Turn signals on motorcycles have to be amber to be legal in the US. You could also just add adhesive strip LED's to the existing hand guards. Something like this would work great on the hand guards

$_62.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Find great deals for 1 Pair Bright Amber LED Fork Strips Turn...

Pretty sure these are the ones I have except they have white and amber..  They are very bright, but IMO not very attractive if just stuck on the outside.  

• Thumbsup 1

Well I got the heater out and went to work. I got the left front done and it works.  Right now running lights are white, turn signals amber. Could be changed to all amber but going with that for now. I think I like it. 

7BE7C9DA-833B-490C-BCBA-3E77A4F56E62.jpeg

D6A20A20-5D83-4C79-BF22-F186BD753939.jpeg

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member

Can we see a pic of the back with the wires etc. I added PowerBronze handguard extenders to my FJ and would consider a project like yours.

Nice Job!

The pic shows the stock and replacement PowerBronze handguards. I now have more real estate to work with. ☺️

Hand Guards.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

KTM handguards and besides a HLM, twin 6 diode 18w running lights on the Givi case guards, led amber f & r ts/rl, amber side panel marker lights (easier than on the panniers I dont use except on tour) and top box rack red LED strip brake light, the feable OEM tail light was the weak conspicuity link (I've been near rear ended too many times) now to be alleviated by a X Blaster unit

3 hours ago, betoney said:

I like the white and blue graphic on the side panel/shroud.  Very Unique. 👍

Thanks, there is no white, it’s just the light.  It’s the OEM silver on the 2019 GT, and then some blue raspberry 3M vinyl.  Coming up with the design was a process for sure.  But a thumbs up from betoney is worthy of a screenshot.  Haha.
Here’s the mostly finished product.  I’m pretty happy with it.  The pumpkins are gone for good, and the ones I used I think suit the bike well.  Then the custom handguard lights are the icing on the cake at least for me.

E6F0CBA5-B025-47F3-B307-1528841806D1.jpeg

7E300FB5-E3C3-456E-906E-E27DC4CA92DD.jpeg

4F1DBF12-8884-47B4-9633-0F7F61D910D3.jpeg

Edited by Yamajank
  • Thumbsup 7
  • Like 1

Love the graphics and silver side panels .

Light look great

Oh well, more money to spend ,Im going to 3M the side panels silver of Crystal White .

But I do like your graphics and ideas . 

• Thanks 1