H-D Pan America

keithu

It's a bold thrust for the MoCo. Looks great on paper and in the marketing vids; supposedly, test riders have expressed some love for the powerband and ergs. I wish HD well; however, their QC on assembly lines can really go to shite; M8 rollout was a freaking joke with the wrong oil pumps going in the wrong bikes; rings that didn't seat and bottom ends out of tolerance from mile one ( I have friends whom had all these and more issues with their brand new $25k plus bikes). 

Remains to be seen if HD has learned and can produce reliable bikes in the first few generations of a new design. The other thing that bothers me about the PA is an Aluminium gas tank and magnesium hard external parts. One whoopsy in the driveway could be real expensive..... engine gaurd would be a must have before leaving the Dealership.

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/25/2021 at 11:20 AM, gerrychuck said:

Very true, and a very valid point. It most definitely is not a "me-too" bike and H-D is to be commended for that. Likewise, Draco_1967's point that most ADV bikes are fugly, particularly those hideous beaks, is also undeniably true, so why not separate yourself from the pack?  More and more, I admire Harley for this machine. I hope they eventually build the Bronx, too, which I think is a great looking bike right out of the box.

Right?  One look at the spec sheet for this - how light they got it, the powerplant - just makes me think the Bronx could really be a freaking awesome bike.  The early pics where gorgeous, and I'd expect sub-500lb and the same powertrain.  I honestly believed HD would never make another bike I'd actually be interested in. 

• Thumbsup 1

On 2/23/2021 at 6:39 AM, keithu said:

I don't think your wife is off base here. There is definitely baggage to go along with the H-D name. Is it fair to the company? Probably not. But it's there. 

Let's just say if I were to buy one of these things I probably wouldn't attend any "runs" with the pirate crowd. 

Do you really think they would let you ride with them anyway if you had one.

8 hours ago, craz1 said:

They couldn't/wouldn't be able to keep up with any of us riding a PA anyways. LOL

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
On 3/29/2021 at 12:41 AM, craz1 said:

The more important question is why would I want to? 😆

In any case, I think I've come back from the edge of the cliff and will probably keep the FJ-09 for a couple more years. It's dialed in and does what I want.

• Thumbsup 4

• Premium Member
On 3/29/2021 at 1:41 AM, craz1 said:

I ride with “Harley” people all the time.... but I’m extremely  awesome and unbelievably good looking so that may by how I get away with it. 

• Haha 4

Let’s go Brandon

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member

I'm taking delivery of a Pan America on Saturday. Should have been two weeks ago but I walked out over the price, typical HD dealer with all the added charges and a 10% over list dealer mark-up. The Tee-shirt vendor wanted a almost $30.000 for the bike out the door. So with luck I will have a special in orange  creamsicle paint job for $25,204 out the door from the same dealer. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 3

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, roadrash83 said:

I'm taking delivery of a Pan America on Saturday.

Following this with great interest...   pre-congratulations are in order!   I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts about the Pan America.

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
16 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

I'm taking delivery of a Pan America on Saturday.

Also interested in your impressions once you get a feel for the new ride.  👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

The reviews for the Pan American have been good but I believe long term performance and reliability need to be proven before any praise is heaped upon the bike.  

Former coworker of mine walked out of his local HD dealership when they demanded three thousand over list price for the bike.  He is now considering the new 2021 Tracer 9. 

• Thumbsup 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

I believe long term performance and reliability need to be proven before any praise is heaped upon the bike.

I think HD deserves a lot of praise simply for stepping out of the comfort zone and shaking up the motorcycling industry in a way that hasn't been seen in quite awhile, and they are going above and beyond hosting multi-day events to allow journalists test rides. 

Go read motorcycle review websites or message forums, the online community is alive with buzz about this new machine.

If nothing else, the Adaptive Ride Height alone deserves praise as an innovative feature as no other bike on the planet offers it.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

54 minutes ago, betoney said:

I think HD deserves a lot of praise simply for stepping out of the comfort zone and shaking up the motorcycling industry in a way that hasn't been seen in quite awhile, and they are going above and beyond hosting multi-day events to allow journalists test rides. 

Go read motorcycle review websites or message forums, the online community is alive with buzz about this new machine.

If nothing else, the Adaptive Ride Height alone deserves praise as an innovative feature as no other bike on the planet offers it.

I have read a few ride reviews as well as all the specifications regarding the bike.  Yes, it appears they have done a good job of building a competitive adventure touring bike with a lot of modern design, engineering and good performance.  Yes, I am well aware of the "buzz" surrounding this bike, and it is for good reason, especially for the HD faithful of which there are many.  Regarding for the adaptive ride height, it's a good innovation for those who may have shorter inseams but seems more of a gimmick to me.  I am more impressed with other features of the bike such as the hydraulic lifters which do not require the usual valve clearance service interval.    

But for me, it has to prove itself in the real world, in the hands of the final consumer, over time.  When we see examples that have put in lots of miles in the hands of end users and some data on reliability and durability, then we will know if we have a winner.  

I hope it does well.

• Thumbsup 3

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.