Riding Modes

Hi, I tried he different riding modes on my 2019 Tracer 900GT for the first time since buying it in 2019, have always used the Standard mode. Tried the "B" mode, too conservative, "A" mode was an eye opener, literally, it was a very different bike, almost a projectile, quite a surprise. "A" mode is excellent but can't imagine using it too often as conscious of extra fuel consumption and possible increased wear on the components. Nice to have it there though. 

This leads me to two questions as the info in the manual is pretty scant:

1. Can I shift between the modes on the fly without disengaging the clutch or throttling off etc?; and
  2. How does it actually work? I imagine it adjusts the fuelling and timing? If so what does it do to it? Does it also effect the TCS/ABS etc and anything else?

Thanks,

Michael

Hi, You can change modes when you are moving but it must be done on a closed throttle. So throttle off, hit the small mode button with your right thumb and hold on tight if you go to "A" mode. Enjoyment guaranteed. Don,t know how it actually works but more important that it does.

• Thumbsup 1

For example:

In STD mode a 1/4 turn of the throttle might equal 30% opening of the throttle bodies.

In A mode a 1/4 turn of the throttle might equal 50% opening of the throttle bodies.

Same engine HP and torque output.  Very different “feel.”

• Thumbsup 3
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Just to clarify, it’s not necessarily the %-amount opening of the throttle plates.
It’s actually the RATE the ECM opens the throttle plates. 
for example, the throttle plates move a bit more slowly in Standard mode than in A mode when you twist open the throttle. A mode is basically as fast as you can open the throttle, the plates respond. Which is why it feels so “sensitive.”

Gives you an idea of how powerful this engine actually is, that it needs to be tamed down so we (the consumer) can actually ride the bike without it being “herky-jerky”. 

Fueling and timing is of course adjusted on the fly as well to match the volume of intake air  

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

i was a standard mode rider until I had the ECU flashed. The only problem of A mode is the abrupt on/off throttle response because of the fuel cut. Once that is solved (by the flash) I find it very reasonable and pleasant to operate, just what I expect from a performance machine. The other modes feel really weird now, delayed, restricted, great for when you're not used to 115 hp (I know I wasn't) but other than that I recommend getting to know A mode, preferably after a flash, and enjoy this engine for what it is.  

For me the bike no longer has modes. That is to say it never goes out of A mode, it's what my wrist is calibrated to and I no longer think modes are a useful thing for me.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I'm the opposite, I always leave it in B mode.  Making minor adjustments to throttle input when leaned over has cause some scary reactions by the bike.  I don't feel like riding in A makes me any faster.  But then again I haven't switched it in a long time, maybe I should give it another try. 

• Thumbsup 2

I usually keep my 2021 in B mode for road riding.

There is a definite difference between B and A, and i could easly leave it in A mode. Only reason that i am not is simply that the bike feels more urgent, responsive and "fast" i A mode. Something i really dont need when dealing with traffic as i just end up going too fast... hehe
 A mode is awesome for a twisty road or track. In my opinon A mode makes the bike handle they way it should. B mode is just more relaxed

21 GT. D-Mode 1 all the time. I tried the other three modes. 4 is ridiculous. I tried 2 for a couple of days but went back to 1 permanently. It is certainly a bit “twitchy” in the throttle but this little engine needs max power available all the time. 

Took a demo ride on an MT-10 and someone left it in A-mode. What a POS experience that was. Then I found out why the bike rode the way it did and there were other useful modes. The 2019 Tracer GT I have also has an A mode and while it is not as twitchy as that on the MT-10 it is still a work in progress, AFAIAC. There is  a difference between twitchy to where the mere bumps in a normal road result in you riding a bucking bronco, and a throttle map which unleashes the full power on tap in a smooth and refined way. Yamahas need to learn this and they are probably getting better. On this bike it is Standard mode for me.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Can’t imagine you’ve been riding it for 3 years without A mode engaged. There is no difference in fuel consumption. Being in mode B or Standard just make your hand tired quicker because you have to turn the throttle more than in mode A. Have I mentioned more fun?

The bike will make full power in both Standard and A modes, just a change in throttle response.  Even after the flash I prefer the throttle response of Standard mode.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.