What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

... the dzell lights... don't get me wrong they are awesome they were just a royal PITA to install and wouldn't really be plug and play to remove and reattach.
I'm a nerd when it comes to lectrical stuff, but found the D-Zell LEDS an easy task, and the installation instructions, including templates for the fastenings, made it a breeze.   But we are all different.   I highly recommend them...
Should have said for those of us not electrically inclined...  (rofl)

Mine might be up for sale shortly depending on how much I dig this new look.
'17 electric white fj - oem heated grips - oem hard side bags - heated corbin saddle - mra touring screen - motodynamic tail light - baja designs led turn signals - yoshimura full exhaust/fender eliminator - k-tech razor r rear shock/front fork kit - evotech radiator guard - mt-09 adventure pegs - pazzo shorty levers - stainless bar end weights
'19 Husky fe501 - cut off a few things and fixed the fueling

Well, you all suckered me into taking my windscreen off for my ride into work today. I feel like I got the ol'
[/a] (and dress nice) trick  rofl.png 
I'll say this, under 60mph its great. No buffeting which is a huge gripe I have with the bike. A little more air on the body than I would like but the helmet air is great. 

But... if you plan on 80-90mph highway riding, forget about it! I very well might be sore tomorrow after that punishment haha. I was happy as a clam on the way to the highway. Once I hit the express lanes I knew I made a big mistake. After getting off the highway I looked down to make sure my shirt was still on  grin.png

I'll be taking the back roads home today and probably putting my Cal-sci shorty on and give that a week and see how it compares to my Ermax high screen which I've been using lately.

• Supporting Member

But... if you plan on 80-90mph highway riding, forget about it! I very well might be sore tomorrow after that punishment haha. I was happy as a clam on the way to the highway. Once I hit the express lanes I knew I made a big mistake. After getting off the highway I looked down to make sure my shirt was still on  grin.png

My brother rides a Honda 919 naked and you are correct, at legal speeds the clean wind flow is FANTASTIC. But once you get up anywhere near triple digits, the wind force feels like it is pushing you off the back of the bike.  MUST ride in a tuck.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I'll be taking the back roads home today and probably putting my Cal-sci shorty on and give that a week and see how it compares to my Ermax high screen which I've been using lately.
I tried the no screen thing and got wrecked on the highway. The CalSci tinted shorty cleaned up the highway riding a lot. However my torso is short enough I still get some buffeting. If I stand up an inch or two on the pegs, its super super quiet. So I think I'm going to chop off another inch or two to make it just a little bit shorter. 

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member
@dbeau, @suitedsevens, @koth442, et al...   You've hit squarely on the the functional balance & compromise issue that makes this such a hot topic.  I toggle back and forth between no screen and the stock screen for now, depending on the type of riding I'm doing...  I find the no-screen configuration fine up to speeds of around 80 mph, so that's usually the setup.  If I'm looking at a long & straight interstate drone, I'll definitely put the screen back on. 

I think that ultimately a small screen (like the CalSci shorty) will be the right final answer for me.   My recommendation to most folks is to try the FJ without a screen and see what you think overall:  If you like it, then a smaller screen is in order.  If you don't, then look into a fuller-coverage option such as the Madstads or similar.  I'm 6'2", 220 pounds, come from a sportbike background, run the handlebars foward/seat high ergonomic layout, and live in oppressively-hot Southeast Texas...  all signs that a minimal screen is the best option for me.  

Your mileage may vary; offer not valid on Tuesdays; it's a quick mod, so don't blame me if you don't like it...  :) 

Hello fellow Fj-09/MT-09 Tracerians!  
It's been a while since I posted on this forum, but over the winter (and not just today) I've focused on getting the "Scrambler" (Batman/Dark Knight reference) some armor.

I thought of going for the givi crashbars, but to be honest the crashbars makes the bike bulky and seems more like an adv bike taking away the street/track characteristics and not to mention the dead weight ~11 lbs/5.0 kgs.

So I decided to go take an alternate approach and hoped to conceal the armor in strategic positions. I considered the benefits and drawbacks of sliders and still thought of going down this route.

I installed frame, swingarm (in hindsight a bit of an overkill for the FJ09) and case sliders on the bike and it costed around the same as the givi crashbar.

I'll paste the links to the parts that I purchased on amazon. Keep in mind the frame and swingarm sliders delivers quickly, the engine slider protector takes a couple of weeks because it ships directly from China.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2YU2G8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B00N2YU2G8&pd_rd_wg=KMIN2&pd_rd_r=58JF1PXMWVQS4EHHQS66&pd_rd_w=bBb2X&smid=A2PBSV3DBW6OF9&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/2014-2017-Yamaha-2016-2018-2015-2017-Swingarm/dp/B00N2YTEOE/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00N2YTEOE&pd_rd_r=TFNWNP5NGYV6NV91N2R7&pd_rd_w=2cgcE&pd_rd_wg=GLULn&psc=1&refRID=TFNWNP5NGYV6NV91N2R7

https://www.amazon.com/KEMIMOTO-Engine-Slider-Protector-Yamaha/dp/B077JGBSQ7/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1525108274&sr=1-4&keywords=fj09+case+sliders

And here's what it looks like:

IMG-3353.jpg

IMG-3356.jpg

About the engine sliders. Was there any problems during installation, supplied screw lengths were OK? Any oil leaks while installing?

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

• Premium Member
Changed out the radiator fluid, and cleaned the radiator.........

Re-installing the white overflow bottle was a pain in the ass, next time I think I will leave it installed and just use suction to get the fluid out and put fresh antifreeze back in.

Next up is brake fluid

Changed out the radiator fluid, and cleaned the radiator......... 
Re-installing the white overflow bottle was a pain in the ass, next time I think I will leave it installed and just use suction to get the fluid out and put fresh antifreeze back in.

Next up is brake fluid
I think several of us had our battles with the reservoir bottle and its collars. I walked away from it three times before "luck" allowed me to finalize reassembly. Getting the collars back in proper place was my challenge.  
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
This was just a small ding on the screen after the rock hit it.
But when I walked past the bike the other day I noticed this, it had spread and cracked my parabellum screen.  

It was a good sized rock thrown from a passing transport truck.

IMG_20180715_221159434.jpg

As it’s a clean, tight crack you may have some luck with superglue. It should pull itself into the small gap by capillary action.

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

• Premium Member
Got the valve clearances checked and spark plugs replaced. No shims were needed as the clearances were still within specs at 24600 miles.

I also decided to bite on Dunlop's $75 tire rebate and ordered a set of Roadsmart III from Rocky Mountain MC. The cost is $298 for two tires. The $75 rebate comes later. Then I committed myself to changing and balancing my own tires for the next several years by purchasing a set of Motion Pro tire tools from Revzilla. This
by Motorcyclist Garage shows the tools and how to use them. 

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Got the valve clearances checked and spark plugs replaced. No shims were needed as the clearances were still within specs at 24600 miles.  
I also decided to bite on Dunlop's $75 tire rebate and ordered a set of Roadsmart III from Rocky Mountain MC. The cost is $298 for two tires. The $75 rebate comes later. Then I committed myself to changing and balancing my own tires for the next several years by purchasing a set of Motion Pro tire tools from Revzilla. This
by Motorcyclist Garage shows the tools and how to use them. 

What year is your FJ? Please give us an idea of your riding style and maintenance intervals and stuff. It's nice to hear a positive story about valve clearances given all the horror stories we've heard lately about tight exhaust valves and ruined motors and such.