What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
What year is your FJ? Please give us an idea of your riding style and maintenance intervals and stuff. It's nice to hear a positive story about valve clearances given all the horror stories we've heard lately about tight exhaust valves and ruined motors and such. 
2015 FJ-09 bought new in June 2015. I am not very picky with maintenance. I change the oil every 4000 miles with Shell Rotella T6. I apparently don't lube the chain enough, as I have replaced the chain and front sprocket twice. I replaced the brake fluid and the coolant on schedule. I replaced the cam chain tensioner with the APE manual tensioner. I have ignored all of the other lube items in the maintenance schedule because they seem to be excessive, but I'll probably lube the swingarm bearings next winter. 
As far as riding style: I don't consider myself to be very aggressive because I have never taken a performance riding course and never went to a track day. I enjoy full-on acceleration and lofting the front wheel frequently, but am glad when the TCS pulls it back down. The only times that I get to triple digit speeds are when I pass another vehicle, and I only need to pass one car to go from 60mph to triples. :) I use the FJ for commuting, day trips, and two or three day trips when I load it up with camping gear.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

Took my '16 in for it's annual inspection. All good.

Wandered around the showroom while they were inspecting it and lo and behold! they had a GT on the floor! Here, in lowly East Overshoe!

Didn't ask the price, didn't want to know...

• Premium Member
Wandered around the showroom while they were inspecting it and lo and behold! they had a GT on the floor! Here, in lowly East Overshoe!

Yeah, I went to purchase some shop supplies for my bike yesterday (oil filter/brake fluid/crush washers) and the GT was right in front of the main entrance. You couldn't get into the dealership without walking right by it. I didn't ask the price either.........

• Premium Member

Yeah, I went to purchase some shop supplies for my bike yesterday (oil filter/brake fluid/crush washers) and the GT was right in front of the main entrance. You couldn't get into the dealership without walking right by it. I didn't ask the price either.........
What's that old saying? 
"If you have to ask..."

LOL
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

I also happened to come across the GT last week while on a mission to buy filter/oil... three of them (all three Canadian colour options) sitting in a showroom at VOS Motors in Concord ON. I have to say that they looked pretty underwhelming... still nice looking bikes, but very familiar looking bikes by now. The price was posted at $15,163 CAD.
Next time you guys see the GT try to inspect the windscreen mount system and determine (to the best of your ability) if we can retrofit older models.... one day maybe I will come across a GT to inspect myself.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Over the weekend I went to the BMW MOA National Rally, in Des Moines, IA.

Besides having a good time, I purchased some gear for my bike.

From Iliumworks I purchased some highway pegs, which they installed on to my Higdonion Custom Products crashbars.
They measured the bars, and suggested two parts.  I got part 32-100, also they told me 27-100 would also fit. 
http://www.iliumworks.com/BMW_Motorcycle_Accessories.cfm?pn=32-100BL&pID=127

sorry for the potato quality.  They also rotate.
IMAG0478.jpg
IMAG0480.jpg

I also purchased a motorcycle half cover from E-Z Touring.  They didn't have the FJ-09 in their book so they weren't sure what size, but they let me try out a size or two before purchasing.  Size A fit my 2015 FJ-09 with and without the 50L Yamaha Topbox.
http://eztouring.com/product/the-traveler-motorcycle-cover/

What's that old saying? 
"If you have to ask..."

LOL
Exactly.   :D 
I could probably swing the bike, it's the divorce that would wipe me out... :o

Next time you guys see the GT try to inspect the windscreen mount system and determine (to the best of your ability) if we can retrofit older models.... one day maybe I will come across a GT to inspect myself.
I really want do this. My local dealer had a fj and a gt next to each other and I sat there for about 10 minutes comparing. Seems it would need most of the front end swapped around though. But the headlights etc seem to be the same shape. But everything that holds the meter assembly and all the plastic cover pieces would be needed. And the shield. I dont see any online parts diagrams yet for the bike to see what the mounting looks like underneath.

@FJ29ER I was afraid of that... now it will become a cost/benefit analysis whenever parts and part diagrams become available.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

@fj29er I was afraid of that... now it will become a cost/benefit analysis whenever parts and part diagrams become available.
Parts diagram available here for quick assessment.
Thanks! So it all comes down to where it mounts.. the whole assembly looks to be less than $120... then I would have to retrofit a windscreen or buy a new one.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Hello fellow Fj-09/MT-09 Tracerians!  
It's been a while since I posted on this forum, but over the winter (and not just today) I've focused on getting the "Scrambler" (Batman/Dark Knight reference) some armor.

I thought of going for the givi crashbars, but to be honest the crashbars makes the bike bulky and seems more like an adv bike taking away the street/track characteristics and not to mention the dead weight ~11 lbs/5.0 kgs.

So I decided to go take an alternate approach and hoped to conceal the armor in strategic positions. I considered the benefits and drawbacks of sliders and still thought of going down this route.

I installed frame, swingarm (in hindsight a bit of an overkill for the FJ09) and case sliders on the bike and it costed around the same as the givi crashbar.

I'll paste the links to the parts that I purchased on amazon. Keep in mind the frame and swingarm sliders delivers quickly, the engine slider protector takes a couple of weeks because it ships directly from China.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N2YU2G8/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?pd_rd_i=B00N2YU2G8&pd_rd_wg=KMIN2&pd_rd_r=58JF1PXMWVQS4EHHQS66&pd_rd_w=bBb2X&smid=A2PBSV3DBW6OF9&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/2014-2017-Yamaha-2016-2018-2015-2017-Swingarm/dp/B00N2YTEOE/ref=pd_bxgy_263_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00N2YTEOE&pd_rd_r=TFNWNP5NGYV6NV91N2R7&pd_rd_w=2cgcE&pd_rd_wg=GLULn&psc=1&refRID=TFNWNP5NGYV6NV91N2R7

https://www.amazon.com/KEMIMOTO-Engine-Slider-Protector-Yamaha/dp/B077JGBSQ7/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1525108274&sr=1-4&keywords=fj09+case+sliders

And here's what it looks like:

IMG-3353.jpg

IMG-3356.jpg

About the engine sliders. Was there any problems during installation, supplied screw lengths were OK? Any oil leaks while installing?

- Good question, I had to struggle with it a bit because if you looked at the reviews on Amazon for the engine sliders - they don't ship it with instructions. You just receive the parts and you're on your own to figure it out. Some comments did provide information about how to go about installing it and that's what I followed. 

So, the oil pump side is fairly straight forward; the bolts are all the same size and you just need to remove the 3 OEM ones and install the new bolts with the slider (You can look up the owner's manual for the torque specs if you own or rent a tool that you can do that with, but with a hex key, use your best judgement when you tighten it). If you're having leaks, chances are you're probably not tight enough or used the wrong combination if bolts i.e. different lengths.

On the stator cover side, the bolts are all different sizes lengthwise, but you only have to worry about removing the ones on the edges, where the longest one installs in the rear hole with the short spacer. The shorter long bolt goes in the front hole with the longer spacer. The two equal sized ones just install over the OME bolts, hope this helps.

About the engine sliders. Was there any problems during installation, supplied screw lengths were OK? Any oil leaks while installing?

- Good question, I had to struggle with it a bit because if you looked at the reviews on Amazon for the engine sliders - they don't ship it with instructions. You just receive the parts and you're on your own to figure it out. Some comments did provide information about how to go about installing it and that's what I followed. 

So, the oil pump side is fairly straight forward; the bolts are all the same size and you just need to remove the 3 OEM ones and install the new bolts with the slider (You can look up the owner's manual for the torque specs if you own or rent a tool that you can do that with, but with a hex key, use your best judgement when you tighten it). If you're having leaks, chances are you're probably not tight enough or used the wrong combination if bolts i.e. different lengths.

On the stator cover side, the bolts are all different sizes lengthwise, but you only have to worry about removing the ones on the edges, where the longest one installs in the rear hole with the short spacer. The shorter long bolt goes in the front hole with the longer spacer. The two equal sized ones just install over the OME bolts, hope this helps.

HI, I also used them and had a small oil leak. The screws and spacers does not work well for our bikes so I had to ask and find others.
Finally, I removed the sliders the next year and installed givi engine guard which are much better.
I would recommand you to do so.

Watch what happens when people go down with that sliders and you will decide after that ;)

FJ-09 2015

I've installed new screen... looks beautiful... now let's  go for a ride...

20180720_135231.jpg

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

HI, I also used them and had a small oil leak. The screws and spacers does not work well for our bikes so I had to ask and find others.
Finally, I removed the sliders the next year and installed givi engine guard which are much better.
I would recommand you to do so.

Watch what happens when people go down with that sliders and you will decide after that wink.png

Umm, did you tighten them to spec? Or it might be that you could've put the bolts with the wrong sizes in, I did that and noticed a leak, swapped it out and it's fine now.  

Also do you have pics of what happened to folks with these sliders on or if Givi "offers" that much more protection, as in - someone slid with the installed givi's and they picked up the bike and were merrily on their way again. I can tell you with the givi as well, if there's a slide; it'll grate the engine covers off. It might protect the frame and the upper part of the engine, but the lower parts are vulnerable. 

Here's are a few pics from the amazon review section, seems like they've worked for this guy:

p><p> <a href=https://s8.postimg.cc/o0zmlhtn9/Screen_Shot_2018-07-20_at_9.33.40_AM.png' alt='Screen_Shot_2018-07-20_at_9.33.40_AM.png'>

Screen_Shot_2018-07-20_at_9.33.48_AM.png