What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

5 hours ago, betoney said:

The subtle gold accents look really good, I added similar silver accents to my red bike, including the SH36 cases. 

They are actually orange.. but thanks!

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

7 hours ago, wordsmith said:

Today I rode my new 06/ 2015 Lava Red home from the transport depot to which it had been shipped from its dealership, 1800km away.   I bought this bike sight-unseen, something I'd vowed a hundred times that I'd never do, but it was impractical for me to travel that distance to see it, and equally impractical to ride it home from there across that distance of sparsely-populated outback roads with little or no help at hand should things go awry.

So, with pounding heart in dry mouth and apprehension a-plenty, we (wife and I) drove the 40-odd km across town on this steamy, hot (39 deg C =  102 deg F) morning, in heavy pre-Christmas traffic to a little-known part of town.  The bike was already off the truck when we got there, standing in the forecourt amidst piles of other goods of all shapes and sizes, burly grizzled interstate truckies working hard in the blazing sun to complete their work before the Christmas break.

Unfortunately, the truck bringing the bike down had obviously caught the edge of Tropical Cyclone Owen, for rain had caused the typical outback-red dust to adhere thickly to the bike all over - panniers and all - and it looked a mess.

It wasn't possible to look under the dust, but the key was in the ignition, the bike started straight away, and I could see that it was full of fuel, so I had no choice but to ride home and live to check another day.   My wife drove on after me, with firm instructions not to try to follow, or to stop if I disappeared.

I must say it was a pleasant relief to find that I was immediately at-home on the Tracer, feeling as if I'd been riding it the day before, whereas it must be about nine months since I last sat astride one.

Everything was familiar, once I'd adjusted the mirrors: the engine seemed very smooth: gear-changes fine: even the usual chain-whine was absent as I'd had the foresight to ask the dealer to adjust the chain slack to the recommended ~30mm of free-play.   But I hadn't had the foresight to get the seat adjusted to the lower position, and although the difference is only about half-an-inch I found myself tip-toeing in an unpleasant and unsteady manner when stopping at the numerous traffic lights on the way home.

Tomorrow, I'll thoroughly clean the bike and check it out: adjust the gear-level and foot-brake positions to suit: make a tiny adjustment to the fork preload (it's nearly there): and start to plan adding the farkles. 

Happy days!

Sorry to hear it was so dirty, but at least she's home!! Congrats

'15 FJ09

• Supporting Member

Congrats, Wordsmith!  Been a long time coming, eh?  Glad you have it now!

2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT (Annabelle)
2013 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Juliette)
2013 Yamaha FJR 1300 (Rachel)
2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250S (Fiona)
2006 Honda VFR800 (Jenny)
2005 Suzuki V-Strom DL650 (Hannah)
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100 (Veronica)

Thank Dog, there's always a silver lining!   I haven't touched the bike since riding it home 15 hours ago, and it sits there in its red dust glory awaiting a good clean - where's that GURNI?   

I sent a brief e-mail to the dealership - as promised - to the effect that I had safely collected the bike, but advising - kindly and politely - that it was filthy, but not making a big deal of it.   An agonised reply came back to the effect that it had been cleaned and polished before despatch, and wrapped in GladWrap.   I felt compelled to reply that GladWrap is for sandwiches, not for a motorbike being transported 1800km on the back of a truck!

But the good news is that I went to the panniers just now to retrieve the paperwork prior to beginning the cleaning later.   Now, red outback dust is colloquially known here in Oz as 'bulldust', and it is notorious for being so ultra-fine that it get inside everything, especially everything with two or more wheels.   Well, when I opened the panniers (much more easily than with some others, where I'd had to struggle) there was not the slightest trace of bulldust inside either pannier, so I reckon that proves their waterproof status as well!

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, betoney said:

The subtle gold accents look really good, I added similar silver accents to my red bike, including the SH36 cases. 

10 hours ago, duhs10 said:

Rode mine into work this evening despite not so ideal conditions...

PSX_20181221_004922.jpg

I’m diggin the pinstripe. 

Let’s go Brandon

4 hours ago, micah2074 said:

I’m diggin the pinstripe. 

Yeah.. I was standing there one day and thought... my bike has no contrast just gray and black.

I asked my daughter what color to go with and she said orange since its mommy's favorite color... hahaha.  Well i think it worked...

The pinstripe is just 1/8" 3M striping tape. Free handed it... took about 5 minutes per side.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Done a bunch of stuff to the bike but most of it is already posted  by others. I did see some home made mud flaps on here so I made one. Actually tested it today after two days of rain. I live on a dirt road so lots of sand, mud, and puddles. Worked great. Kept the shock clean.Screenshot_20181221-163357_Gallery.thumb.jpg.11c5790ce722cd3c0ea090aa033f20f1.jpg

• Supporting Member
59 minutes ago, duhs10 said:

Yeah.. I was standing there one day and thought... my bike has no contrast just gray and black.

I asked my daughter what color to go with and she said orange since its mommy's favorite color... hahaha.  Well i think it worked...

The pinstripe is just 1/8" 3M striping tape. Free handed it... took about 5 minutes per side.

I used the same tape, after I applied it I briefly went over the surface with a heat gun.  I have already posted this pic. but here is the red bike with silver accents.

Scorpion-5.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I put some stickers on my GT today. 

20181222_170630-1612x1209.thumb.jpg.ced3479095d58f5dcd1d5ffede6d5f70.jpg

Should do the trick :)

20181222_170643-1612x1209.thumb.jpg.fcba549d5cad8cf227e728865a358335.jpg

Edited by krucymucy

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current

1 hour ago, duhs10 said:

NIX-30 Street?

Yes. And also rear shock ya537. Stx46 street. 

But I install it tomorrow if I don't get drunk today :)

Edited by krucymucy

Honda CB600F Hornet 2008; KTM LC4 640 SM Prestige 2007; Kawasaki Z1000 2007; Honda CB1000R 2010; BMW R1200GS 2010; Yamaha Tracer 900GT 2018; Yamaha TDM900 2002; Kawasaki KLX230 2020; KTM 690 Enduro R 2022: Bold = current