What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

20 hours ago, Ahmed said:

This is a good idea.... I think I will do it too. I wanted to ask you about the 2 circular ones next to your windscreen, are these the Yamaha ones? 

I had handguards with lights on my previous bike and I found that Cars saw me even in rainy days when I had the handguard lights on because it's high and noticable. I would do the same light you have next to the windscreen but wanted to know your feedback. And closer pics 😉

Ebay, not Yamaha

20180913-DSC01326.jpg

2 hours ago, fr8dog said:

Installed the tail tidy my son gave me for xmas. It's a clean look. Came from motodynamics.com.

I like this neat look, but it's pretty expensive.   A minus for me would be the stated fact that it does not work with the Yamaha hard panniers (standard here) and the OE indicator pumpkins.   New slimmer LEDs would be needed.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Those pumpkins seem like they're growing. Kit also includes two brackets for aftermarket lights. Not sure how they mount, but they're a lot smaller than the ones I used.

Price was reasonable. I had my eye on the one from Yoshimura. That was over $100.00. This was half the cost and it's well made.

I've seen some where the blinkers are integrated with the taillight.

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, wordsmith said:

I like this neat look, but it's pretty expensive.

@wordsmith - Have you seen this Tail Tidy/ Fender Eliminator ?

It sits a bit further back than some other brands which gives more clearance for lights when using side cases, the license plate light is directly under the rear brake light.

TailTidy 3.jpg

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

31 minutes ago, betoney said:

@wordsmith - Have you seen this Tail Tidy/ Fender Eliminator ?

It sits a bit further back than some other brands which gives more clearance for lights when using side cases, the license plate light is directly under the rear brake light.

TailTidy 3.jpg

OK, thanks betoney.   On your assurance that it will allow the hard panniers to be used (as it also suggests in the on-line product description), I'll order!   Looks neat and not too expensive - USD$35, AUD$50, both including shipping..

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Supporting Member
3 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

OK, thanks betoney.   On your assurance that it will allow the hard panniers to be used (as it also suggests in the on-line product description), I'll order!   Look neat and not too expensive.

@wordsmith - use my photo as a rough guide for clearance on your cases.  Also note that I do not use oem side cases or signals, I use Shad 36 cases and X-Arc LED signals.

• Supporting Member
On 12/25/2018 at 9:43 PM, texscottyd said:

Interesting you should ask...  I have a brand new set of EBC XC 320mm rotors to be installed (hopefully) tomorrow.   I’m using the caliper spacers that @pattonme had available to forum members, and new EBC HH pads front & rear.    

I’ve had the parts for a couple of months now, and finally finding the free time to complete the upgrade.   Updates to follow... 

Time flies by quicker than you think, @pattonme sent out the spacers this past March!!

Glad you are finally getting around to this conversion, use heat on the rotor bolts when removing and maybe have a few spares in case they start to round out during removal, one of mine did.

I have never used aftermarket rotors, are the EBC, Braking, Galfer etc. rotors supposed to have a higher friction material?

3 hours ago, betoney said:

@wordsmith - use my photo as a rough guide for clearance on your cases.  Also note that I do not use oem side cases or signals, I use Shad 36 cases and X-Arc LED signals.

Thanks - I'll do that and also shoot off a query to the vendor.   Thanks...

I put the rhs pannier onto the bike to try and get a better perspective on whether or not I can retain the pumpkins - see pix below.   I also had a closer look at the pix on the vendor's website, and this time it became clear to me (which I hadn't picked-up from your photo) that the indicators are mounted off the tidy.   I guess this is what is meant by the vendor's claim that "you can use the OEM turning signals".   I'm a little put-off by their 'no refunds' policy, and frankly reluctant to ask the question as to whether or not the use of their item will allow the OE pumpkins to be used with OE panniers - much may be lost in translation! 

It's not that I cannot afford to lose or waste $50, but I'd rather not... take a look at my pix, please, against your own tail-tidy installation and give me your thoughts.   I'd be grateful.   (My assessment of 'fit or not', and my typing, is not being helped this morning by the fact that I sat on my specs and am wearing a very old pair at present!   Hurt almost as much as the OE seat).

P1040972.JPG

P1040973.JPG

• Supporting Member

@wordsmith - If you look at the mount area on the tail tidy link I sent, the oval area where the oem signals mount is 7" wide and then the oem signals are about 5" each side?

The center of that oval is 3" below the bottom of the brake light.  I think it might be too wide for the hard cases, if you plan on keeping the oem signals.

27 minutes ago, wordsmith said:

I put the rhs pannier onto the bike to try and get a better perspective on whether or not I can retain the pumpkins - see pix below.   I also had a closer look at the pix on the vendor's website, and this time it became clear to me (which I hadn't picked-up from your photo) that the indicators are mounted off the tidy.   I guess this is what is meant by the vendor's claim that "you can use the OEM turning signals".   I'm a little put-off by their 'no refunds' policy, and frankly reluctant to ask the question as to whether or not the use of their item will allow the OE pumpkins to be used with OE panniers - much may be lost in translation! 

It's not that I cannot afford to lose or waste $50, but I'd rather not... take a look at my pix, please, against your own tail-tidy installation and give me your thoughts.   I'd be grateful.   (My assessment of 'fit or not', and my typing, is not being helped this morning by the fact that I sat on my specs and am wearing a very old pair at present!   Hurt almost as much as the OE seat).

P1040972.JPG

P1040973.JPG

Hi mate, I bought the genuine Yamaha tail tidy and flipped the mounting tabs for the indicators inwards so they tuck in nice and tight. It all fits as it should. I think it was expensive though.

2 hours ago, betoney said:

@wordsmith - If you look at the mount area on the tail tidy link I sent, the oval area where the oem signals mount is 7" wide and then the oem signals are about 5" each side?

The center of that oval is 3" below the bottom of the brake light.  I think it might be too wide for the hard cases, if you plan on keeping the oem signals.

Thanks again, betoney - you are a great source of info!   Yes - I do plan to keep the OE pumpkins.   I know they are neither fashionable nor attractive, but they are highly visible, and I'll take that over and above fashion any day!   Call me old-fashioned if you will...!  I don't plan to carry the panniers all the time, in fact it will be only rarely, but it would be my luck to run across texting Blind Freddy - or the pleece - at such a time if the indicators are obscured.  

I've had slimline LED indicators as stock on the past few BMWs (R and GS) and fitted a set to an earlier Tracer too - they all looked good, but I felt the lumens were compromised somewhat.   I'm still debating whether to buy the tail-tidy we're discussing - when my eyes get back to normal I'll have another good look at everything and take it from there.   Thanks again...

Edited by wordsmith

Today I splurged and installed a set of those $16 FJr foot pegs from the Far East.  Then I took a ride to test em out.  They felt great, but...

Was 30 degF on my 20 mile test. Think I shoulda bought heated grips instead!  Just getting feeling back now... Ouch.

cb

peg.JPG

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09