What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

Fitted a very small (6" x 3.5" x 4" or 15cm x 9cm x 10cm) hard-shell bag ($14.99 from a cycling store) to the handlebars of the new Tracer.   I've done a similar thing to several past bikes, as I like to have my camera handy so that I can stop beside the road and snap a few if it's not safe or convenient to get off the bike and access a top-box or pannier.   I realise that a conventional tank-bag would carry much more, but I don't care for them - or need one.

The bag fits very neatly between the 'stanchions' (correct term?) of the handlebars so it doesn't move about.    

I also carry my mobile phone in there.   I don't want to have fragile yet hard items like these in my jacket pockets as an 'off' would doubtless break them, and maybe a few fragile ribs too!

Other bits 'n' pieces I squeeze in are a tiny spray bottle of Windex and some paper towel, as I hate riding with a dirty visor: a small notebook and pen: eye-drops: spare hanky.   There's a useful little net divider inside the bag which helps to pack it all in. 

When leaving the bike out-of-sight for any amount of time in a dodgy spot it takes but moments to remove the camera and phone: if anyone is desperate enough to want the rest they can have it!

Off to the hills and lakes tomorrow... but very early: road traffic here is insane at this time o' year.

P1040976.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

9 hours ago, betoney said:

@wordsmith - thats actually not a bad idea, there are enough holes on that rack that you could creatively adapt something.  The rubber mount is a very specific size and shape though.

Thinking further about this, if the rubber stem of the pumpkins makes it a chore to install them, I could always buy and fit some generic aftermarket indicators from the local auto store.

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

12 hours ago, fr8dog said:

My son came over to borrow the pressure washer. Showed him the tail tidy. He noticed the license plate light wasn't working. Hmm. I crossed a couple of wires. Not sure how that happened. They're color coded. Stupid. Switched them and still no luck. Connected the old light. Still no luck. Maybe a fuse? Took me 30 minutes to find the fuse. Blown. Stuck in a new one and we got lights! Had to go for a 3 hour test ride.

Sad part is I rode Wednesday without brake lights and didn't realize it. Lucky I didn't get rear ended.

That is lucky!

'15 FJ09

14 hours ago, fr8dog said:

Sad part is I rode Wednesday without brake lights and didn't realize it. Lucky I didn't get rear ended.

That's a good reason to run the old "TCLOCK" check and walk-around before riding... 

• - Tires & Wheels
  • C - Controls
  • L - Lights & Electrics
  • O - Oil
  • C - Chassis
  • K - Kickstand
Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
29 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Happy the upgrade performs well. I am looking forward to getting mine done in the next couple of weeks. I am also going with ECB HH pads up front ($20 cheaper per rotor than OE up here), but will be leaving OE in the rear.

I am doing the same in the rear.  Its already too easy to get ABS to actuate, I dont want to increase that with HH pads.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

@betoney & @piotrek - You guys are obviously reading ahead in the program...  I did EBC organic pads in the rear (not even the HH), and am having issues with the ABS activating way too early on the rear.   I’ve documented a bit more in the ‘320mm rotor’ thread, but plan to start troubleshooting by just swapping the OEM pads back in.  

The new fronts are stellar, but the rear needs some more sorting...  

On 12/28/2018 at 8:51 PM, fr8dog said:

My son came over to borrow the pressure washer. Showed him the tail tidy. He noticed the license plate light wasn't working. Hmm. I crossed a couple of wires. Not sure how that happened. They're color coded. Stupid. Switched them and still no luck. Connected the old light. Still no luck. Maybe a fuse? Took me 30 minutes to find the fuse. Blown. Stuck in a new one and we got lights! Had to go for a 3 hour test ride.

That's what sons are for!

• Premium Member

I was out for about 90 mile jaunt, somewhat uncommon for late December in Southern Ohio!  Heated gear hookup for jacket liner and gloves, along with heated grips and new-to-me MadStad windshield all worked well.  Toes and thighs were a little cool.

Felt great to lean some turns!!

On 12/26/2018 at 11:04 PM, wordsmith said:

I like this neat look, but it's pretty expensive.   A minus for me would be the stated fact that it does not work with the Yamaha hard panniers (standard here) and the OE indicator pumpkins.   New slimmer LEDs would be needed.

I did the Motordynamics tidy tail and integrated tail lightIMG-3707-LI.jpg

Edited by roadwarrior

• Supporting Member
On 12/29/2018 at 4:27 PM, texscottyd said:

Tested out the new 320mm rotor upgrade!  Very happy with the stopping power of the EBC XC rotors & HH pads, and the caliper spacers from @pattonme worked perfectly.   

Not a cheap upgrade, but I think it’s worth it.  

20A27296-DCAA-44F4-BC16-147A405FB39E.thumb.jpeg.88976e7da88363e5e1dad6bae4cd6ba7.jpeg

Hello Texasscottyd, would you know of another supplier who has the spacers.

Thanks

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Supporting Member

@roadrash83 - As mentioned, Matt is the guy that produced the spacers several of us have used for this big brake conversion.  However, looking at his profile, it looks like he hasn’t been online since October, so must not have made the migration with us to the new forum software.  Sending him a PM probably won’t get a response.   

If you check his website at www.forks-by-matt.com it has some alternate contact information for him.   You might want to give that a try...  

Here’s a closeup of the spacers on my bike.  They’re specifically machined with the correct lip and recess to fit the FJ/FZ fork and caliper assembly, and I definitely recommend them to facilitate the swap.  

C39D059C-4616-491E-AB5A-465A421266EA.thumb.jpeg.443d44dfc62841bb9551a3c8c47329f1.jpeg

Many thanks to all you guys who suggested solutions to my rear indicator dilemma, such as the Motodynamics product and the Blaster-X item, similar in approach in integrating both tail and brake-lights and indicators in the one neat housing.

Unfortunately, I now understand that such devices are illegal here in Oz.   Regs state that there must be x-inches of horizontal clearance between indicators at front and rear of a vehicle, and the integrated units suggested are not legal.   Bugger! - I was warming to one or the other!

I think I'll stick for the time being at least with what I've got, the unlovely and unloved 'crane', and when the final parts arrive for my flashing/ pulsing rear brake-light set-up I'll take it from there.   Maybe my two remaining brain-cells will come up with something else in the meantime, and I'll be in a better position to decide which direction I want to take. 

I appreciate all the suggestions... 

• Premium Member
On 12/28/2018 at 6:51 PM, fr8dog said:

Where was the fuse located - So others won't have to spend the 30 minutes you did.......