What did you do to your FJ-tracer-gt today?

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, DavidS said:

Where was the fuse located - So others won't have to spend the 30 minutes you did.......

Front right side underneath the panel that has the blinker attached to it. You'll see two black plastic boxes. I think there's five fuses in each. Shop manual wasn't any help. Manual that came with the bike was helpful.

Took my new-ish Tracer for it first half-decent ride of 170km out towards the lakes region to the NW of Brisbane.   Left home at around 6am, temp was 23 deg C then, rose to almost 30 by the time I got back home some three hours later.  Too hot - I felt a bit unwell arriving back home, which I put down to possible dehydration.

Memory can be a fickle thing, but I have a strong impression that this specific bike is by far the smoothest of the Tracers I have owned.  Maybe being almost four years old has matured it, like fine wine!   The rubber-topped foot-pegs don't have much of a job to do as far as smoothing out vibes is concerned, and when they arrive the Grip Puppies will have even less vibe-quelling to do.

Decidedly un-smooth is the stock suspension - it's as harsh and reactive as I can recall.   But I have kept the settings I found adequate before, and will dial them in after a few hundred more kilometres, which will allow the surfaces of the suspension's moving parts to bed-in.

I still await a few important farkling parts, notably the Bagster seat (the maturing process obviously hasn't worked on the crap OE seat!); Grip Puppies to make the pencil-thin grips more comfortable for me; mirror risers/ extenders to enhance the view behind; a sturdy rear carry-rack on which I'll mount a small Pelican-type top-box to carry wet-weather gear: and the pair of DRL LEDs.   I have already prefabbed the wiring for these, ready for a quick and easy installation.

Looking forward to more days out, but only when this current hot heat and high humidity permits pleasurable riding.

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

• Premium Member

Went to lunch.

On edit.  This picture resizing is kicking my a$$. Some resize fine (the gps) and some don't (the bike) I use my phone (Samsung S5) exclusively to take pictures and post.... *sigh*

2018-12-31 16.52.12.jpg

2018-12-31 16.51.21.jpg

Edited by fddriver2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

217.6 mile lunch trip.  I approve!  

113 mph, eh?  Looks like somebody needs an ECU flash for the New Year!  :)

FWIW. The speedo registered 115 mph.😎

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

15 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

FWIW. The speedo registered 115 mph.😎

Cool!

If that's not fast enuff for you flip it into Km mode.  :)

cb

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, nhchris said:

Cool!

If that's not fast enuff for you flip it into Km mode.  :)

cb

I'm thinking about heading over to Fort Myers Fl. to have @Vcyclenut  flash my ecm. While he's not "local" It would be an overnight road trip ☺️ I just can't decide whether or not to put a pipe on or even which one to put on.... 😕

3 hours ago, fddriver2 said:

I'm thinking about heading over to Fort Myers Fl. to have @Vcyclenut  flash my ecm. While he's not "local" It would be an overnight road trip ☺️ I just can't decide whether or not to put a pipe on or even which one to put on.... 😕

I believe he will re-flash it for free after the original flash if you decide to get a pipe later.

I used him for my FJ... A Mode (quick turn) is amazing.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

On 1/1/2019 at 7:15 AM, piotrek said:

Thought I had some time to quickly get Grip Puppies onto my Oxford heated grips.   Destroyed one piece (got a bit too animated with a screwdriver), but got the second one on.

Bad move using anything sharp to fit Grip Puppies!  At the most, if necessary, use the handle of a smooth teaspoon to wiggle the GP on.  And plenty of soapy water - in fact more (liquid) soap than water - to ease things along.   

Still waiting for my GPs from the UK, ordered on Dec 12th - must have been held-up behind some slow-moving reindeer!

Edited by wordsmith

Riding a fully-farkled 2019 MT-09 Tracer 900 GT from my bayside home in South East Queensland, Australia.   

I ordered a new rear carry-rack on EBay on Dec 26th and it arrived today, Jan 2nd, well in advance of the promised delivery window of Jan 14th to Feb 19th.   Good work!

I’ve fitted at least two of these useful additions before.   The kit is 100% complete, everything well-made, and extremely sturdy – I reckon a fully-grown man could safely stand on it, once fitted.   Easily installed too, even if the OE bolts securing the pannier-rails to the bike were installed by Yamaha using Kryponite thread-lock, requiring a rubber mallet to shift them!   And a small but valid gripe might be that no instructions are included.   A simple line drawing would suffice, no words needed IMHO.

The EBay site shows various vendors of these racks, varying only in the pattern of the cut-outs and holes in the plate, and some are priced at more than double what I paid - AUD$135 delivered.   

I have two different-sized Pelican-style cases that serve as useful top-boxes, the larger one seen here taking my two-piece wet-weather gear.   On other bikes I have also mounted a full-size conventional top-box of about 28L capacity onto this rack. 

The top-plate might even provide a good location for mounting the pumpkin rear indicators if I proceed with installing a tail-tidy.  

Excellent value and well recommended.

P1040990.JPG

P1040991.JPG

P1040992.JPG

Another minor farkle added today was the pair of rear-view mirror risers/ extenders - like on the old Berlei-bra ads, they lift and separate.   They lift (raise) the mirrors by about 35mm, or ~ 1.5", and move them outwards by about 50mm, or ~ 2".   Small gains, but worthwhile IMHO. 

Nicely-made and finished, and again something I've fitted to other bikes so as to improve ease and effectiveness of rearwards vision (in my case, aided also by the pair of 2" 'dead-spot' mirrors).

Once again these parts come with no instructions, which would have been handy as we are dealing here with left and right threads, the right-hand (brake) side mirror stem being left-hand thread.   The left-hand (clutch) side extender has to be rotated just a little so that it clears the toggle 'select switch' there.   

And - there's nothing worse than a mirror that's flapping in the breeze as you proceed at warp speed, so I always carry a spanner so that I can tighten the securing-nuts if needed.

P1040995.JPG

P1040997.JPG

Edited by wordsmith

Yes - of course I was referring only to fitting the GPs over the standard OE grips - add another layer of grip as with the heated versions and things change!   

http://www.originalbeemerbuddies.com/

I have these and they are nice.  I remove the adhesive strip so I can take on / off.  When on, the grip heaters aren't as effective.  There's a strip of velcro sewn in so that keeps them on.  I also have an older set I'm putting on the passenger grab rails at the moment to keep any bag strapped on the rear seat from rubbing the paint off.